Your official linux thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, April 13, 2017.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Ask me anything linux.

I can convert you into a linux gamer.

in the meantime this offer is up for grabs and it's pretty juicy : https://symless.com/synergy/linus6
    14$ for headache-free synergy
    I show it off in this video I posted to my facebook :

you can also do the headache-but-free version which i later did and am now running. I got the reimbursement from synergy and I'm a happy camper ! :)

Anyways!

on to your questions!
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Wait all that software does is allow you to move the mouse between different devices and share the clipboard and maybe some other rather simple things?

And they want 14 or even 19$ for that? And people buy that?

Why do I never have such ideas and try to sell them?
  3. tatsujb

again it's the lazy' man's fix

I have it free

it's once again a case of devs continuing on a an open source project but as a commercial project

here's how you get it for free :
    linux side :
    sudo apt install quicksynergy

windows-side:
    install synergy version 1.6.2

config is a little iffy
    by default on synergy ssl will be on you'l have to turn that off then name your windows pc and on linus enter that name into the side box you want
    Last edited: April 14, 2017
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That makes it even more weird that they manage to make a business of selling that program.

Anyway about Linux: Are you as happy as I am that Ubuntu seems to be turning away from Unity?
  5. tatsujb

@cola_colin no xD

I must be one of the extremely few but even if I gutturally hated Mir as a spread of resources, unity had plenty of good ideas and I was really looking forward to unity 8 (the project's been forked and will be released but will perhaps be gimped as a result) not the way they chose to put it on GPU rather than CPU that has nothing to do with the UI or interface.

no. unity task bar is cleverly the only one to scoot apps when they fill it win 10 still doesn't do that and the rest just shrink to unreadable
    ljfed likes this.
  6. tatsujb

honestly FFS

but in the end yes I'm happy

it means by installing yunit interface manually (theoretically!) I (should!) get the best of both worlds : a cool interface running wayland instead of mir.

I can't see them developping mir also that wasn't their (the develloppers of unity 8) task and mir was stuck anyways. only logical option (in my eyes) for this fork is to make it wayland-compatible.

which given the inherent nature of both Mir and Wayland probably doesn't entail much work.

But honestly shouldn't this whole discussion be about what gnome3 is and isn't?

I mean unity got bashed for "obnoxious minimalism" when it came out but I honestly hate that app switching isn't possible without a mouse-swipe or alt-tab on gnome3, what's up with that?
  7. tatsujb

8. tatsujb

bottom line is I've never liked any of the top bar ubuntu bullshit. In fact KDE is by default much more the way I'd want my desktop to be. It's just a crazy amount of games and stuff are broken in KDE and some or a lot of the gnome alternative apps are just worse then the gnome ones such as taksman.

but why the F doesn't ubuntu/debian use Dolphin instead of nautilus.

I'll admit nautilus theming and skinning is uncontestably best my current file browser seems to me like the best crossroads between screen real estate and looks :
    upload_2017-4-17_13-13-28.png

but who the hell can argue with dolphin's F4 in-browser-drop-down terminal? and the counltess splitting options?
    why were these never made an option in nautilus? conversely why is dolphin so darn broken and unfixable under debian/ubuntu? why?
    Last edited: April 17, 2017
  9. tatsujb