With the introduction of server mods to default..

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, October 30, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

ZaphodX said @sorian was really wanting to push on this (thank you) but I must ask.. Will the introduction to the default also fix one of the most pressing issues for mods with new units? Icons at the moment load on the engine before the server, which means you need a client side mod to see icons... Which means if someone joins they'd get all the units and everything- but they'd have no icons. This would be bad for Statera with all the units and even worse for RCBM because of the custom icons...

Uber pls.. <3
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I approve of this request.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Add "we can't modify papa models with server mods" to it. So if you try to shadow a unit-mode.papa and a unit-animation.papa it has no effect, you need to shadow in new papa files with some unused name and modify the unit json to use them. Since the textures are loaded based on the model filename that means gigantic mods.

I'd like that fixed + see PA use a simple zip stream for transfering mod data to allow for mods like ReScale PA to work without having a 100mb transient mod. Like they could be less than 5mb with those fixes. :/
    stuart98, elodea, websterx01 and 2 others like this.
  4. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

In general I hope this means we're going to see some serious dev love for the modability of PA. I would love to see the next patch be a dedicated mod patch.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

That would be awesome. If they could release their own conversion tools and such, that would be sweet.
  6. squishypon3

Papatran? :p
  7. emraldis

Yeah, except that in an ideal world it would export animation files too without messing up bone rotation.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You asked for their own conversation tool and you got them :p
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. squishypon3

It doesn't mess up bone rotation if you do it correctly I believe. I mean.. that is what the devs use XD
  10. emraldis

but how do you do it correctly? None of us seem to have fixed it... Maybe a guide on "how to not **** up your bone rotations" would be nice instead. :p
  11. squishypon3

Well.. zx0 did. ^^;
  12. emraldis

did he? or did he just manage to get the off-bones to rotate?
  13. squishypon3

He made an animation with the t2 gunship doing aileron roles.
  14. emraldis

has he revealed how he does it?
  15. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

It's annoyingly simple, you just have to set the bones up in a specific way.
    Raevn and squishypon3 like this.
  16. emraldis

well that's silly. Someone needs to make a guide, our orbital units could use animations...
    Nicb1 likes this.
  17. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

As far as I know from our prev discussion we need some 3d Maths help to get the importer working correctly. When I suggested asking for help from the stack overflow community no one responded to me so I have no idea what is going on with that. Also zxo didn't fix anything.. He got a single bone animation working and that's it. Maybe if he releases a tutorial with included walking/other rotated bones animation then he will have fixed something but until then we are simply stuck with pretty much no complex animations working.
  18. squishypon3

Erm.. @liqius just said the error was painfully simple to fix, and it seemed to imply it's already been done.
  19. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

If that is the case then where is the post showing how to get a complex animation working in game? I'm not sure what discussion you are referring to, but I believe in the discussion we had with bgolus, the end result is either they need to make papatran not be so picky about specifics in the skeleton, or we need to finish up the blender importer with help from someone who knows 3d math.
  20. emraldis

This is exactly the impression I had.