[WIP][Server] Imperial Legion (Faction)

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Nicb1, June 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (art by Crembels and Nicb1)

Legion Expansion Beta Released!
    Visit the new thread below:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-legion-expansion-public-beta.71680/

[Introduction]
    Hello fellow PA players. Today we are officially announcing the "Rise Of The Legion" faction modification for PA. The aim of the mod is to add an entirely new faction to Planetary Annihilation so an entire new unit set (Think the diff between Core and Arm from TA or Cybran and UEF from supcom). A lot of talent is currently behind of the development of this modification with plenty of prior experience in developing mods for this game, so we hope to deliver you an awesome modification that will be one to remember.

[Lore]
    More than one series of Commander was built. The others had a very different idea on what constituted an effective fighting force.

Rise of the Legion is Planetary Annihilation's first faction modification. Adding in a new commander with a full complement of unique units and buildings. Prepare to be challenged, because the Legion has a different set of strengths and weaknesses to what you have come to expect.

Thick of hide and large of caliber, the Legion is the embodiment of ‘Might is Right’. The shaded cabal of commanders that make up The Legion deduced that a tank with one gun in inferior to one with two, a bomber with twice the high-explosive payload will do more damage than one with half the amount and attempting to take down an enemy who’s rear armor is twice as thick as your front will place you at an instant disadvantage.

The Legions units are slower and more expensive on average, but far tougher and harder hitting. They may be slow to get to their destination, but they ensure that there is very little the enemy can do to stop their advance once it has started.

If the enemy cannot out-shoot you, cannot out-range you and cannot damage you… why should it matter if he can outrun you?

...unless they are foolish enough to get caught!

[FAQ] (List will be updated as people ask more questions).

Q. When will the mod be done.
    A.When it's done. (aiming between September and November can't promise anything though. Scratch that PA Titans has thrown that plan out of the window. This is both good and bad as we can implement more unique content, but bad in that I have no idea when we will release a test or offical build.)

Q.Will this mod change vanilla balance.
    A. Short answer, NO. Long answer, we are aiming to build upon what Uber has given us with vanilla and will not be making any balance changes to how the vanilla faction and economy works. This is a seperate faction with its own strengths and weaknesses. The Vanilla faction plays exactly as before.

[Update 1] 6/11/2015:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[Update 2]11/01/2016 'We have a Moddb page now':
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/legion-expansion

[Credits]
    [Main Team]

@nicb1 : Project Lead, Main 3D model artist.
    @Crembels : Concept artist.
    @KillerKiwiJuice : Main Coder, FX guy, Texture artist
    @mgmetal13 : Assisting Kiwi with learning new software also texture artist.
    @Quitch : Resident AI coder.
    @zx0 : Texture artist.
    @xankar : Balance
    @elodea : Balance
    @Alpha2546 : FX & Balance
    @graushwein : Balance
    @stuart98 General code stuff and bugfixing.
    @andreasurne : Balance
    @proeleert : Ui stuff
    @mikeyh : Work in varying areas

[Assistance]
    @emraldis For giving me the basic code and showing me how to change a com unit set.

(Anyone who contributes to the project will be added to the above list.)

[Notes]
    As usual any help with texturing would be greatly appreciated as it is a slow process.
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    huangth, sycspysycspy, jomiz and 24 others like this.
  2. Crembels

Crembels Member

:D
    warrenkc and cdrkf like this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

My one request with this mod is stick with it guys! So many great mod ideas never get finished (especially ones as complex as this), and I think this is a mod pa really needs.

Ps it's looking great so far! :)

Pps, looks like your back on the team @Crembels!
  4. Crembels

Crembels Member

Of course. You think the units in this game will look anywhere near as good without my design input?

PFFFT.

:D
    stuart98, warrenkc and cdrkf like this.
  5. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Will the units looklike the image? Thay Deathmark is so neony and cool :D
  6. Crembels

Crembels Member

Unfortunately no Ksgrip, its a promotional image rendered in Maya and some significant post-production and phototexturing by myself.

Units will look different when in game.
  7. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Buaaa that's sad. It looked so cool. Either way, good work;)). I recommend uploading here some final things so you don't have two different threads
  8. Nicb1

This isn't ingame yet as I just finished this model, but I thought I would share anyway.
    The T1 Gattling AA defence. (Bofors II)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    stuart98, kayonsmit101, doud and 2 others like this.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

this gonna be intresting ..
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

T1 AA Machine gun demo

PS. No audio, sorry
  11. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Gonna be awesome :D

I wonder if Uber will officially Support this eventually :D
    Nicb1 likes this.
  12. Nicb1

One can dream :)

Also glad you're looking forward to it.
  13. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Don't know if anybody noticed that they have shown us a new super bomber xd. Look at the mini nuke it leaves. Really cool effect guys. So anybody explains that? @KillerKiwiJuice
    Nicb1 likes this.
  14. Nicb1

Was waiting for someone to notice.
    No its not really a super bomber I just told kiwi to mix in the imperial legion bomber to see if anyone notices :)
  15. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

AUOTE="nicb1, post: 1093688, member: 1796814"]
    Was waiting for someone to notice.
    No its not really a super bomber I just told kiwi to mix in the imperial legion bomber to see if anyone notices :)[/QUOTE]
    A So you guys have any new toy to show?:p
  16. Nicb1

At the moment we are trying to nail down the textures that we will be using. I will post a screenshot of some textured stuff once we decide on the style.

Other than that I may post some pics of scrapped or unfinished models/units tomorrow if you guys are interested.

Edit: haven't really posted too much due to wanting to keep some stuff as a surprise for when the mod is released.
    Last edited: July 5, 2015
    doud and cdrkf like this.
  17. cdrkf

I've really like what I've seen so far...

One quick question though, so evidently you can get the units into the game and fully functional, however have you managed to overcome the issue of making the new units co-exist with the vanilla faction?
  18. killerkiwijuice

The vanilla faction coexisting with the Legion Faction is only possible if an army is shared. At this point, if you select a vanilla + legion fabricator (in a shared army), the UI is huge and doesn't even show all of the units. Because of this, we're going to make it impossible for a shared team to select more than one faction in the lobby with some Javascript wizardry; a shared army will either need to be full vanilla, full legion, or not shared.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. cdrkf

That wasn't what I meant actually, I meant being able to have both factions in same game (e.g. Legion vs vanilla)
  20. killerkiwijuice

oh yeah that was easy, we're just adding tons of units, then limiting how they can be built. Vanilla fabricators and factories can't build legion units and vice-versa.
    cdrkf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.