Will planetary annihilation be coming to consoles

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by connerj15, May 21, 2013.

1. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

RTS on consoles? that idea is all kinds of bad. Just get a PC
  2. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

Given that that both Xbox One & PS4 are x86 PC's under the hood, that's kind of funny...

Seriously though, wireless keyboard & mouse and what's stop someone playing in front of the huge TV? On old gen yeah, it's laughable. But new gen and (assuming it'll allow download on to HDD which was the blocking issue Garat was refering too) and it's not totally silly.

I admit though, I wouldn't play in front of a TV, just saying is all.
  3. teradyn

teradyn Member

Yes, and look at their specs compared to the currently available PCs you could build as well as the ones you should be able to build (i.e. Haswell and GeForce 700 series) by the time they are available.
  4. taihus

taihus Member

Darwinia+ is about the only RTS that worked on console, and it isn't exactly your standard RTS, even Multiwinia.
  5. antillie

antillie Member

I would much rather connect a PC to my TV via HDMI. PC's have been doing this for years with Bluetooth keyboards and mice and the consoles are only just now catching up. I also want to be able to install additional/larger hard drives in my console and use network storage to install games. And I want faster hardware than what consoles can offer. And the ability to run games from the last 20 years not just the last 2-4.
  6. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

See even the consoles know how crap they are and are trying to become PCs ;).

The only "console" you might find PA on is a SteamBox (if that ever actually comes out).
  7. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Pikmin, Halo Wars, Dune II, Battle for Middle Earth, Herzog Swei. Console RTS games that are good do exist, they just often don't come in the cookie cutter form PC RTS games often do.
  8. n3wb4l1f3

n3wb4l1f3 New Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but I have to disagree with most of the games on that list.

I enjoyed Pikmin, and I like BFME on PC, but I wouldn't really class them in the same category as TA, Supreme Commander, or what PA is shaping up to be. And I think that's more of what people on this thread are arguing.
  9. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Aye, and that's what I meant by "cookie cutter form". Just pointing out the blanket statement of "RTS games don't work on console" isn't quite accurate.

edit: Note I'm not knocking cookie cutter RTS games, note I'm in some ways lumping PA in that group too. They're an evolution of and additions to an existing theme. Also, cookies are tasty.
  10. teradyn

teradyn Member

I think the main issue is that if you look at an RTS game on PC and that same game on console, the PC version will always be superior.
  11. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

It's just the old "Mouse & Keyboard" vs "Controller" battle though. There's a generation of gamers who hold on to the mouse as being the superior control scheme for FPS games, and there's now way, way more who believe the opposite. Really it's a question of which scheme was the game designed for.
  12. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

ROFL, there's no FPS games where a controller is better, first person games maybe, but not when shooting is involved. The only way you could design a first person shooter game to be better with a controller than keyboard and mouse is to deliberately sabotage the keyboard and mouse controls, then give the controller users auto-aim. I mean if keyboard and mouse players can be good enough to be falsely accused of using aim-bots then what chance would controller users have against them? None, at least not without actually having aim-bots (auto-aim).
  13. Spinewire

Spinewire Member

I forget the game but there was that game was being planned my MS I think that would allow PC and console players to play together. They gathered up all the "pro" PC and console players to test early builds of their game and they had to abandon development of it as the PC gamers embarrassed anyone using the controller. To the point where it was not even close. MS shelved it as they did not want it to reflect badly on the console and potentially damage sales.

http://www.techspot.com/news/39738-micr ... amers.html

Here is an article that mentions it but it was not the one I read initially.

Racing/Fighting games, sure I would rather a controller but for FPS and RTS it would be a cold day in hell before I played one of them on a console.
  14. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Ask Scathis about re-balancing MNC when it came to the PC.
  15. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I thought that battle was decided years ago when Microsoft tried to make multiplatform work between PC and Xbox. I seem to remember they gave up on the whole idea after they realized that even mediocre PC players were able to wipe the floor with anybody using a controller.

What about SMNC? It was pretty much as far from a twitch shooter as you can get. The controller users had a fair amount of auto aim on their side. The only good player with a controller I remember was Hostile Paradox. He played Support. The class with the auto-lockon gun and shotty. That's the whole list.

Controllers are nice for racing games, platformers and fighting games. They have no place in competitive shooters. RTS? Meh, if you automate A LOT, remove all micro and slow the pace down enough. I'd prefer chess over that RTS any day though. ;)
  16. veta

veta Active Member

17. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Yeah, but ShadowRun had to cripple the control to the point that it was just a game of luck rather than skill because it would just be too easy for the PC players if it skill was involved. Not to mention most of the PC players were players that weren't good enough to compete online in other PC only FPS games ;).
  18. Col_Jessep

I take your link and raise you a study by Microsoft:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-ki ... tform-play

Controllers suck for FPS, even the guys selling overpriced controllers think they do.
    There was money to be made and Microsoft backed out of it. That's all the proof I need. ;)
  19. veta

veta Active Member

I never asserted whether they do or don't just that shadowrun was integrated and was plenty fun.
  20. Col_Jessep

Dunno, never played Shadowrun.