Will PA Run on Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by greeves, June 21, 2013.

1. greeves

greeves New Member

Just Bought Game on steam and am getting this error when i try to play says: game failed to start (unknown error)

:(

Then i noticed minimum requirements are supposed ti be be VISTA but I have XP..anyone knoe if it is possible to play on XP?

Thanks much appreciated Im dieing to play game looks awesome!!
  2. kazzymodus

kazzymodus Active Member

As has been stated multiple times.

No.
  3. cybran89

cybran89 New Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, but to anyone else with questions like this:
    Check the FAQ and try the search function, which has apparently never been used.
  4. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Same here on my XP. The reason being is because your windows XP is likely running a 32 bit system, while they haven't released the 32 bit (as far as I know, anyway) You won't know if it works on your XP until you get the 32 bit installation.
    I'll be personally testing on my windows XP, and I'll be coming back and posting my results for others to read. My specs are thus:
    There's a difference between supporting Windows XP, and the game actually working on Windows XP. We don't know until it's been tested. Prettymuch this :
    Bold for importance. <3
  5. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

As has been mentioned elsewhere, in addition to the 32 bit-ness, there are .net dependency issues. Whether or not those are solvable are outside of my knowledge base
  6. antillie

antillie Member

Anyone still running XP needs to get a modern OS.

Prebuilt boxes that came with with XP are probably too slow to run PA anyway and custom built boxes from the past 5 years should never have had XP installed on them in the first place.

It's over 12 years old. It is no longer sufficient for the task that it was designed for and hasn't been for a few years now. Replace it.
    Last edited: June 21, 2013
    Timevans999 likes this.
  7. antillie

antillie Member

XP is by definition a 32 bit system. Whether or not your box can run a 64 bit OS is different question. The aforementioned AMD Phenom II x4 955 is perfectly capable of running 64 bit Windows 7/8.

And no, 64 bit XP doesn't count. It is a rare unicorn that has no place in a discussion about gaming OS's.
    Timevans999 likes this.
  8. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Not true ;)
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

XP is not supported. Supporting 32-bit was hard to justify, but XP is almost impossible to justify.

Sorry for those users who are running XP.
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Fairly true. Their 64-bit conversion was done well after the fact, and not very well. ;-)
  11. antillie

antillie Member

Completely true. The 64 bit version of XP was never released to consumers, its driver and application support was terrible, and it was only rarely used even its target market. It is a rare unicorn that has no place in a discussion on gaming OS's.

If anything it was a closed beta for some of the tech that eventually went into 64 bit Vista.
  12. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Any OS that is set at 32bit is a 32 bit system. Windows Vista in 32 bit is a 32 bit system just as much as XP is. XP 64bit is, by definition, a 64 bit system. It's non-refutable when it is by it's structure a legitimate 64 bit Operating System.
    Sure it does. Just because something is rare doesn't mean it doesn't count. Who are you to judge what does or does not count in a discussion about gaming OSes? I concede that it is rare, but it doesn't make it's existence as 64bit any less legitimate. It's probably completely true that it would probably not be worth the time to put 64bit XP on a tower for gaming on the OS with the ratio of 64bit bonus vs problems with the OS, so I won't debate that.

Though.. I could easily get XP 64bit if I wanted to, but I know that 64bit wasn't meant for anything other than commercial use, and will likely have many more errors than the 32bit version. Nonetheless, with the hardware I have and 4gb ram more, it could be considered a decent gaming tower, at least hardware wise. Using it for gaming, on the other hand, would be a completely different issue altogether.

No question that Vista would be better than XP 64bit, but as a Vista user, I know personally that I wouldn't touch that OS again with a 30 foot pole. I may as well get 7, and probably will eventually replace that OS with 7 anyway.
  13. antillie

antillie Member

I would really like to see you find a major title that runs on 64 bit XP without some kind of emulation. I actually had a 64 bit XP box a few years ago and almost nothing ran on it that wasn't shipped with it. Every game I tried was a total non starter despite the fact that the box had a reasonable video card for the time. Even vanilla MS Office had issues, although the version that shipped with the box did work fine. 64 bit XP simply does not apply to a discussion about gaming. Autocad and 3ds Max maybe, but even that is quite a stretch these days.

64 bit XP is a totally different animal from normal XP and stuff that works the latter does not always work on the former. It wasn't until Vista that MS got the WOW translation layer really working properly.

The fact that it is super rare does matter. None of the people who have XP boxes that are posting in this forum are going to have the 64 bit version. It is perfectly safe to assume that they all have the 32 bit version that was sold to the general public.

So talking about 64 bit XP is pointless since it is not going to apply to anyone here.
  14. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Just get 7. There is really no reason for running XP unless you have old programs that will only run on XP and older OS's.
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

And even then, virtualisation has come a long way, and Win 7 XP mode will pretty much cover you for most of thse things.
  16. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

It's been quite a while since XP 64bit was released, and there's been Vista, 7, and 8 now, with all of the versions of Operating Systems they can come as. Of course I wouldn't expect anyone here to have a 64 bit XP, but it was never impossible to acquire it. With the problems it faced, I simply don't expect anyone to actually try to use it.

You're using it's rarity as a scapegoat to call XP "by definition" a 32bit system. Which is not true, since the mere fact that 64bit XP exists and has been successfully created proves that statement wrong. Again, It could be said the same for Vista 32bit being by definition a 32 bit system, or 7 32bit being by definition a 32 bit system. Of course they are, they're 32bit.

It had problems, sure, I won't argue this, but if they went back and actually fixed it instead of coding it from the ground-up to make Vista (which is a colossal failure anyway), I do believe that the problems with 64bit XP wouldn't have been as excessive. They did the same thing with ME. That poor thing wasn't worth the money or trouble trying to fix, so they made XP out of the recoding which came out spectacular.
    You must have not read the part where I said as a Vista user. My 2nd tower is Vista Home, pre-built piece of crap it is... can't even install a GPU on it. I've looked. I can't actually find a card being sold that fits the mobo. I might be replacing THAT with windows 7. I don't need to replace XP on this tower, I can just install 7 on the 2nd partition of my HD. Problem solved.

I'll go ahead and stop beating it as a dead horse until I get more information since I don't currently have XP 64bit, and know personally that getting 7 would be a better choice in that situation anyway.

No new information otherwise, money still in transfer, and will be getting PA on Monday.
  17. antillie

antillie Member

64 bit XP was never released to the public.

Actually it was impossible for end users to acquire it. It was only ever sold to OEMs for the workstation market.

Yes it is true. 64 bit XP never existed in the consumer market. Therefor by definition in the consumer market, XP is a 32 bit only system.

Not true. The 64 bit versions of Vista/7/8 were/are readily available for purchase with a new PC or as standalone products.

They did go back and fix many of the issues. The result was 64 bit Vista. The WOW translation layer pioneered in XP64 was one of the few things that actually worked almost perfectly in Vista when it was released.

XP and ME have nothing in common at all. XP is Windows 2000 with a slightly updated shell and a few kernel tweaks which in turn is descended from Windows NT while ME was an updated version of the DOS based Windows 98 SE. XP was the first consumer version of Windows NT and has no relation to the earlier DOS based consumer versions of Windows at all.

There are two Windows code bases:

3.1 > 95 > 98 > 98 SE > ME

and

NT 3 > NT 3.51 > NT 4 > Windows 2000 (NT 5) > Windows XP (NT 5.1) > Vista (NT 6) > 7 > 8

Up until XP the NT line was only marketed to business users. XP was the first to be marketed to both home and business users. MS simply dropped the DOS based code base when they released XP.
  18. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

To this day I don't understand how they turned the rather decent product that was 98SE into ME.

I just . . . don't.
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I think you may be confusing Windows XP 64 Bit Edition and Windows XP Professional 64 bit Edition (they are, surprisingly, two different things). The later was released and available as an OEM Edition bundled with consumer 64 bit computers, although availability wasn't huge. The former was an Itanium version only made available via MSDN or with an Itanium system (definitely not general consumer technology!).
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

As if OEM versions are not available to anybody who knows how to order online.
    In fact I would guess that most tech savy people use OEM versions, as they are far far cheaper.
    Corang likes this.