Unit Ideas (Unit must have a Role to be added to the list)

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Flatlander, November 5, 2013.

1. Flatlander

Flatlander Member

I know there are a few threads about new units. But in my opinion they are not constructed very well.
    I will be constantly updating this thread and keeping track of Unit Ideas.

First I will explain what a Unit Role is.
    A Unit's Role in a game can be described as what it can be used for, and what strategies are viable with this unit. If a unit does not have a Role, then it is useless, or if there are too many units with the same role, then only the best ones or most cost efficient will ever be used.

Goal is to have 50+ units: Goal Completion: [6/50]
    This thread is so players can suggest new units, and explain the new role that unit will fill.
    I'll start the list with an example:
    No More Units Please: (As Requested by BulletMagnet)
    [Likes: 5]
    Suicide Bot: Cheap-Fast bot that self-destructs when in close range to their target doing massive damage.
    [Likes: 1]
    Strength: Fast Speed, High Damage
    Weakness: Short Range, Low Health, Volatile on death (hurts allies)​
    EMP Bomber: Bomber Aircraft that will disable units and buildings for a time in the blast radius.
    [Likes: 2]
    Strengths: Can stop units from moving, and buildings from being productive.
    Weakness: Does no damage, so must be supported by other units to be cost-effective.​
    Clone Commander: Makes commander assassinations more difficult by making it hard to know which one is the real one. Can also make the enemy unsure if your commander is still on the planet or not.
    [Likes: 3]
    Strengths: Looks just like your commander, Can assist building
    Weaknesses: Has no build menu, Weak nanolathe, does not produce energy, expensive​
    Wall Machine: Tank that acts as a wall.
    Strengths: Is tall and acts as a wall that can move, high health.
    Weaknesses: Does no damage, slow moving, requires some micro.​
    Devourer Tank: A tank that uses a "Reclaim Gun" that reclaims as an attack.
    Strengths: Generates Mass while attacking.
    Weakness: High power cost while attacking.​
    Napalm Bomber: Bomber Aircraft that drops Napalm that burns the ground for some time.
    Strengths: Good Area Damage, Flames stay for a duration causing damage.
    Weaknesses: Weak against fast units that quickly move out of the fire.​

Feel free to post your own ideas (Be sure to list the unit's role, it's strength, and it's weakness, no unit should be all powerful, even if you make it costly)

This is not a place to debate whether a unit should, or should not be in the game. This is a thread for new unit ideas. If you want to show approval for a unit, LIKE the post that the unit is presented in, (I will tally up and keep track of "likes" next to each Unit)

[edit] - Added Wall Machine and Devourer Tank, Updated Likes and Goal 11/7
    Last edited: November 7, 2013
    camycamera and stormingkiwi like this.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I'd like to suggest...

Unit: nothing.

Role: Wait for the rest of PA's features to be implemented, a few good, solid, iterations on balance because it's a bit silly making lots of suggestions that might invalidate other planned options.

I think this post should be tallied for Likes too. If you want to gauge community support for new units, you should also gauge community support for not having new units.
  3. Flatlander

Flatlander Member

1. There is no harm is producing ideas for new units
    2. Uber has their own "Unit Ideas" thread and are actively asking the community for Unit Ideas.
    3. I specifically noted in bold red text that this isn't the place to express your insight on whether units should or should not exist, only to produce new ideas.
    4. I am a good sport, so I'll keep track of the "likes" on your thread that think the current 31 units in the game are enough.
    With that I'll produce a new idea to try to get some sort of Momentum:
    EMP Bomber: Bomber Aircraft that will disable units and buildings for a time in the blast radius.
    Strengths: Can stop units from moving, and buildings from being productive.
    Weakness: Does no damage, so must be supported by other units to be cost-effective.
    Last edited: November 5, 2013
    mattyzero, stormingkiwi and greppy like this.
  4. greppy

greppy Member

I'm not going to participate in the thread, but I actually do like Flatlander's contribution because it is inventive not the same power unit dribble.
  5. Tankh

Tankh Member

And yet Uber themselves did a forum thread for talking about unit suggestion.

Yes, let's wait with all suggestions until the game is released and then we know what they planned all along.
    Then we can start suggesting what units we would have wanted in the game. A bit too late don't you think?
  6. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Well its about the basics right now and about getting the game ready to be released, so there probably wont be many suggested units in the release-game.
    But since they will continue to work on the game post-release and because they wont have as much pressure then to get **** done, unit suggestions might have a much better chance of beeing implemented.
    There is of course no harm in suggesting units pre-release.
  7. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Clone Commander: Makes commander assassinations more difficult by making it hard to know which one is the real one. Can also make the enemy unsure if your commander is still on the planet or not.
    Strengths: Looks just like your commander.
    Weaknesses: Can assist building but has no build menu. Weak nanolathe. Does not produce energy. Expensive.
    TA had this. Might have been from Core Contingency.
  8. Flatlander

Flatlander Member

Anyone want to take a shot at a unit idea?
    Would be nice to get around 50 ideas on the list. Actually I'll set 50 as the goal in the op.
  9. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

That's a good idea. Other versions and variations of it have been suggested. Add it to the other unit ideas thread.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Have you tried looking in the Uber Thread with over 650 posts?

Mike
  11. Flatlander

Flatlander Member

A lot of posts I see about Unit Ideas have a mixture of good and bad ideas. The reason I created a new thread is to sort ideas and give a way for people to kind of "vote" on their favorites (by liking the threads in which the idea was presented).

Then I can keep track of everything in the OP and make it easy for people (including Uber) to look through tons of ideas. I have also made the Unit Names be Hyperlinks to the original post so you can see who presented the idea and Like the post if you want to support that idea.
  12. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

The

"Pimp out your commander factory"

Your C-man will go into the factory and you can install spinners, spoilers, glow kits, etc. Oh yes there will also be a "genetlman your commander out" opition but it will be really expensive because everyone knows if you have a monocle and are in a suit you are a bad ***.
  13. Flatlander

Flatlander Member

The weakness to this would be everyone will know where your commander is at all times because it will be decked out, glowing, and probably producing loud base?
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But the ideas are already there, why do I have to repost it again for you when my ideas are already in Neutrino's thread and already have 23 likes attached to them?

Mike
  15. camycamera

camycamera Member

wall machine (name a WIP lol)

kinda thought of this unit just then, but basically it is a movable wall unit. sort of like how in medieval times you had soldiers with shields at the front, protecting the archers at the back. also it would be interesting maybe to see if it could attach itself onto other units such as tanks, or even attach themselves to each other to form one unit that makes a wall (edit: a unique unit formation that allows this?). however, things like that may go on the micro management side of things, so idk.

it should take the same amount of time, if not a little longer, than it does to make a wall.

i don't think it will conflict with the standard walls, as it can be argued that standard walls are for immovable objects, such as bases and turrets. this unit would be for movable units, like tanks, bots and mobile arty.

its strength would be its ability to be a movable wall, protecting units from enemy attacks from where they are positioned (should have the same health as normal walls). it would be a great offensive and defensive tool at the same time.

its weakness is that it does not have a weapon, as it is purely a defensive unit. also, it is obviously not going to be able to protect units against air units. it functions the same as a wall, except it is movable, and perhaps connectible (unit formation). and its speed may be slow.

what do you guys think?
    Flatlander likes this.
  16. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

I'd like this a lot. It would go very nicely with artillery bots... unless, of course, you have your own artillery. I'd prefer a micro-less option; perhaps make it so the "assist" command prioritizes moving in front of the unit targeted, rather than following.

My suggestion:

Devourer: A heavy tank from the Adv. Vehicle factory which reclaims to attack. Fielding them increases your Energy usage considerably, but they can devour Walls and help turn the tide of an economic war easily. This may or may not become invalidated by area-Reclaim orders, however.
    mattyzero and Flatlander like this.
  17. Flatlander

Flatlander Member

Link your idea from the other post in a post here, and then I'll link the other post as well in the OP.
    The entire point of this thread is to make it easier to find unit ideas, if I have to search the entire forum for ideas already out there, that would be kind of silly.
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I like the idea of getting some sort of organisation to the myriad unit suggestions we've seen on this forum, but I feel there must be some better way of doing this than a forum thread. I'd even go as far as to say that we could use one of the many external PA-related websites that have sprung up to host some sort of web-app and compendium.

Ideally this would not be in a wiki-style "here's my quickly bashed out idea" but would be curated and kept in a consistent format to make it easier to browse.

Of course, this is all rather a lot of effort for something that, at the end of the day, will largely have very little effect on the actual game.
  19. Flatlander

Flatlander Member

Using an external website would allow for a better format and more functionality, but you have to weigh that against the fact that more people probably visit Uber Forums than external websites, plus we know Uber is here as well.
  20. Flatlander

Flatlander Member

I'll add another idea to the list:
    Napalm Bomber: Bomber aircraft that drops Napalm that burns for some time.
    Strengths: Good Area Damage, Fire last after the bomb has dropped to continue dealing damage.
    Weaknesses: Weak Against Fast/Moving Units that quickly escape from the fire, Does no burst damage​