TWO-SUN SOLAR SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, October 24, 2013.

?

do we want Binary Systems?

1. all the suns!

66.5%
  2. 3 suns max

7.1%
  3. 2 suns max

11.5%
  4. leave PA alone!

9.9%
  5. turn off the goddam lights! I play better when my opponents can't see me and I can't see them.

4.9%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

[​IMG]
    in PA.

you zoom out to celestial view and either you have two (or three!) suns rotating around each other at the center with a planetary system around them or you have a set of solar sytems.
    two light points that generate two shadows.

weird slaloming beween both suns to get from one system to the other.

all the goodies it comes with.

do we want this?
    Last edited: November 9, 2013
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Been discussed before.

Cool idea. Not worth the time for before launch.

After launch? Awesome!
    zweistein000 and archcommander like this.
  3. tatsujb

definately will be buried and inaccessible after launch.
    I see this as a rather core element of the engine and hard to mod in because of the point light source being unique, the way the engine is concieved right now (unit headlights are probably situated in a different part of the engine and the shadows we see, may not be a result of point light but of another technique)
  4. tatsujb

please people put some input, If you feel like having it, you can, all you need to do is show the devs it's important.

remeber guys the whole shadow generation thing is pretty hardcore. modders will try and fail. we want core engine features like this to be in from the get-go.
  5. tatsujb

Attached Files:

Last edited: November 1, 2013
  6. tatsujb

NAAAAAAAAAAAANTS INGONYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMA
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: November 9, 2013
    Remy561 likes this.
  7. Tankh

Tankh Member

Random
  8. thesonderval

thesonderval Member

amusing though
  9. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I think if Uber makes stars celestial bodies under the same class as planets, it will be easily doable.

However, stars seem to be a hard-coded gravity well at (0,0,0). Who knows what the future will hold?
  10. Marnit

Marnit Member

Seems unimportant, potentially confusing, and a lot of work.
    Can't really see much upsides to it.
    I vote against it.
  11. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

the upside is
    syh5afvcx1y2w0jvww1i.png
  12. tatsujb

you are depressing and should be knitting instead of playing games. two or tri star systems exist. and the community has been voicing for different suns.
    Last edited: November 3, 2013
  13. Marnit

Marnit Member

What is so great about having two stars, that other things should not be developed instead of it?
    I mean having 2 or more suns might cause issues with simulation, rendering, might look extremely annoying with shadows etc.
    And there is probably just better things that can be done...
    Remember development time is finite...
    Last edited: November 2, 2013
  14. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

They could always put it in after release.;)
    Last edited: November 2, 2013
  15. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

bit supprised now seen a suggestion like this before... Personally dont think I would ever have more then two, but i think it would be awesome to have the option to have as many as you wanted... HDR and bloom might be an issue though as there wouldn't be any dark sides with over bright day times.
  16. tatsujb

well if you have the two suns exactly opposite the planet (and the only case scenario I can imagine for this would be two suns orbiting each other far enough appart for a planet system to be orbiting one or both in between, and this would happen when one of the planets passes in between both suns) there would be a ring of slightly dark area going all round from north pole to south pole and this situation would only last an instant. then it would go back to having a dark side for the crushing majority of the cycle.
    another thing. bloom is already pure white and it doesn't add up. as a result the scene would not be 'brighter' or 'too bright'.

the only real risk is not being able to play them with shadows on because of it bogging down your graphic card.
  17. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

Physically, it has no analytical solution
    First of all: it is impossible to obtain an analytical solution (solution composed of elementary functions) for 3 objects orbitting their center of mass.
    Heavy computer algorithms can simulate them, but it would consume too much for the game

Second: in normal solar systems with one sun, the interaction of 2 planets is neglected. This is what makes the orbits stable. If you make a planet to orbit a sun, but under the effect of 2 gravitational forces, you would have unpredictable results when the planet passes in the middle of the suns: it may change orbit, or may not, depending on initial conditions, and that is chaos theory (unstable systems that change drastically depending on initial conditions)

Besides that, what kind of effects were you expecting that two suns would inflict in the game?
  18. tatsujb

dude, its not like the orbits of the suns would have to be simulated wtf?

and for the planets they don't currently have physics orbits, but when they do the calculations of the inteactions would run their course just like normal. there is no difference, it's a stellar body like another.

really I'm mainly hoping for the shadows. but you stroke up interesting points and it makes me want to have multiple sun starsystems all the more!
  19. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Actually they would have to be simulated because in a two sun system the suns orbit each other. The orbital paths of planets would be severely affected by the twin gravity wells.
  20. tatsujb

mh-hmmm... so why does this means rails are inadequate for the suns?

as I said above, curently the game plays without physics orbits, it's not implemented yet. in anycase physics orbits are hardly a resource sink compared to millions of units fighting with simulated projectiles.
    Last edited: November 3, 2013