The sorian PA AI thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, December 23, 2014.

1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Yep definitily yes, it really brings lots of fun while playing against AI.
    Now @sorian I would like to now if would be possible to have AI trying different attack alternatives. I've never seen AI sending a bunch 500 bots toward my base.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Am I just unlucky or AI still not adequately play on water planets like Meso? (77202 PTE) :(
    It's trying to build and stuck on small islands and not build naval factory / units.

PS: One of them finally started to make ships after like 10 minutes, but anyway.
    Last edited: January 24, 2015
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  3. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

I love these Ai threads +1. Ai get far to to little attention compared to other game tech's seems silly to me seeing as it can really make a game engaging to the mind.

One time fer di AI...booka.
    mjshorty likes this.
  4. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

Sorian,
    It doesn't appear that the AI takes into account the probability of successfully landing on another planet before sending it's Commander in an Astraeus. I like playing the AI 1v1 on two metal planets in a system, where the ai and I are on different planets. It's fun to turtle and see how the Ai will respond. As soon as I launch a volley of 10 unit cannon's at the AI's planet and they land taking out a control-module, the AI races off the planet. My planet is surrounded by orbital platforms, orbital fighters, and tons of fighters air patrolling. The AI doesn't seem to take into account that there is a 0% chance of it making a landing on my planet. I set the hardness to Absurd and the AI's eco to 2 vs my 1. So that AI has a huge advantage and a lot more units than I do.

5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well remember the pa ai is written by a guy who is best in the business :) although achieving automated perfection does take time, his ai is already devastating to newer players :p
  6. Neilio2Coolio

Neilio2Coolio New Member

The AI wont even try!!

A few times now I have loaded up a single player AI skirmish and the A.I will not build anything, apart from two metal extractors. I will build alot of stuff and become quite powerful and when i find him, hes sitting there, standing still, with his two metal extractors and nothing else. He clearly hold these two dearly though, as whenever i destroy them he just rebuilds them and nothing else. Occasionally he will move to a different metal extractor, say the next one along, but again will stop once two are built.

This even happens when under fire. I will be pummelling him with pelters and even holkins, but he will straight up die before seeing himself have less than two MEs. Also if he has built two, while still being fired upon, he will stop and take the hits until he, or his MEs, blow up.

It doesnt do this everytime, but more often than not it will. Dispite all its flaws, I really quite enjoy the game. I bought it while it was still in beta, but paid 30 pounds however. I was willing to accept it had bugs and such at that stage, but now, several months after launch, Im a little bit annoyed. Im annoyed at the fact that in beta, this was not an issue, but now it is, after several patches too. How can that be right?

It just realy takes from the experience, and just makes me think it will bug out everytime, so I usually think against playing. I hope Uber fix it soon.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

This shouldn't be happening... There was a bug causing this however it was *supposed* to be fixed a while back. The guy who does the AI (@sorian) does take this stuff seriously. It would be really helpful to get a replay of the AI doing this... To make sure a replay is available, can you go into settings and 'local server' and turn it to off. This will force the game to be hosted on Uber's server, which means a replay will be generated. If you can get the AI to do this again, after the game go into 'Replays' and tick the 'my replays' option. Then copy the loby id number from there and post it so that we can take a look at see what the issue is.

Another thing that would be good to try- can you load up a game on the 'PTE' build (if you use the Uber launcher, you can get to this by going into the settings menu and ticking the 'PTE Stream' box, then selecting that as the version you want to play from the drop down, alternatively if you got PA on Steam, then go into properties and enable the 'beta' option in properties- it looks like you need a key but ignore that and you should be fine- the new test build has quite a few AI fixes in there that may cure this issue).
  8. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

This only helps if I have details.

What system were you playing on?
    What difficulty level?
    Skirmish or GW?
    What version of the game?
  9. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

I've seen this every time on the meso system. The ai that start in the water near the little islands build 2 metal extractors, a land factory on the island and that's it. I've experienced this with all level difficulties.
    Seems to not work well with navel yet and will always prioritize either land or navy but not both. When the ai does prioritize navy, it will build quite the force but never utilize it.

Played a game on the highest difficulty on a non water map and I must say @sorian you are cooking up quite the mean ai! It's all sneaky and relentless... so annoying. In a good way :)
  10. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

PTE-77238 AI Report
    Bad stuff this time old chap =( ~~
    Here we have AI with a gazillion aircraft of evil destruction intentions....yet doesnt use it to defend the other side of the base....when the commander was under attack, let alone it defending distant mex's or covering ground troops...or anything useful really. Both AI btw, even though i capped this one because it had T2 mixed in....
    PTE-AI-DoesnotuseAir.png
    And navy....whats wrong with AI...it doesnt understand water...for instance, dont build a ton of it on a small lake of very little strategic value >.O
    PTE-AI-BuildsonsmallLakes.png
    Other notes
    Bad Stuff ~~
    - AI doesnt harass that much, they tend to just slam eachother, they might spread out and hit mexes along the way, like think of a Fan, it spreads out, then another Fan, it all starts to pull back in to one point, to the enemy base, the AI doesnt really understand going AROUND the planet and harassing mex or hitting the enemy base from behind.
    - Needs some work on orbital, the orange AI built some SSX lasers but didnt really use them probably in fear of 1 umbrella the other AI built, and thats alright (until it gets to 4-5 and overpower that umbrella...which it could have done) but could have used the SSX to hit other areas of the map.
    Some Good Stuff ~~
    you see in the screenshots that one AI is WAY ahead...that was only the point after 45 minutes, both were quite even up until then, good job, because the AI didnt die to stupid things, like armies randomly running in circles and dying, actually using its economy efficiently (both AI where 80% in metal and around 120% in power for a LONG time) and uses larger armies for a more combined effort and assault enemy positions

~~ P.S. what about AI making walls aye?
  11. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

I'm not on PTE, but have definitely experienced the AI sending a surprise platoon the long way around the planet to hit me hard. It was a local skirmish, so I don't have a replay, but watching via cronocam, it looked very intentional (and effective).
    Quitch likes this.
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

- AI not using air is fixed locally. I noticed the issue, but was unable to fix it in time for the latest PTE build.
    - AI building navy in ponds (or tanks on islands) is still something I would like to work on. It is not an easy thing to do when maps are randomly generated.
    - AI not using orbital is, surprisingly enough, related to its inability to use air, and is also fixed locally.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Wouldn't this depend on whether said units can path to enemy units and buildings?

That or using transports to hot drop troops on the enemy positions.
  14. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

Any chance the AI not suiciding it's commander in an atraseus to another planet(that is super-fortified by it's enemy) is fixed?
    FSN1977 likes this.
  15. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Nope. Still on my list, but I have been busy on feature work.
  16. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

can you give the AI the ability to taunt players? Kind of like the taunts in supcom - except the AI would use them.
    devoh likes this.
  17. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Isn´t "AI spamming naval in ponds" an issue that is related to "AI isn´t able to build up a clever base"?!
    I´ve never saw the AI building strategically useful defense positions or comparable stuff in the last/ maybe even in my whole time with PA. If AI knows what to use to defend a base that pond-problem and many others will be history!
  18. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

It's not really supposed to build fortified bases. The naval in a pond has a large defensive value, but no offensive value.
  19. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Yep, and that´s a problem: The PA lore is focusing on "aggressive defense", but it doesn´t look like the AI knows anything about it! :(
  20. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

OK, got some more work time on the AI and came up with a way to help keep the AI from building naval in puddles and vehicles on islands.