The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

so let me run you through this even 100 atmospheric (that means detonated in the air not under-water) nukes detonated in a similar area would create such an amount of NO as to destabilize the ozone for centuries to come. the result would be direct exposure to the sun's UV and increased exposure to the sun's radiation.

this would break down our genetic makup and make it impossible for any sort of land based-creatures to survive.

but wait!

sea creatures dependent on certain cycles of sun-to-metabolic repair would have to either break their cycle and die as a result or die leading to the destruction of the entire water ecosystem. Not to mention water would be evaporating at quite an insane rate at this point making their very home at threat.

So basically. no.

Nuclear Armageddon ISN'T survivable.

life itself might naturally re-exist the way it existed on the earth before but only after maybe 10 000 to 100 000 years. by then no trace of what we've built would be left.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Obviously, if we can ship to and live on Mars (theoretically, with existing technology), then the ozone of the Earth is "convenient", a "luxury" even, not a "necessity".

Such a luxury affords us a planet capable of housing our civilization and 10 billion of our numbers. Definitely can't afford that sans the atmosphere.
  3. tatsujb

actually no we can't and there's no possible model of mars survival where earth is out of the picture.

do you want me to run you through that?

and as for the answer to your second bit it spoils the first because of a causality so I don't wanna spoil the answer before running through the fascinating reasons why my first proposition is true first.
    Last edited: April 13, 2017
  4. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Chill out. Putin is most likely not even going to respond to the Syria action (which was characteristically a show of force and did hardly any damage). He still wants sanctions lifted on Crimea. Only when he no longer believes trump is friendly or has the political capacity to do so will there be the probability of a conventional non-nuclear response.

Funnily enough, it was all this muh trump russia bullshit peddled 24/7 by whiny establishment democrats and gobbled up by anti-trumpers that led to this. He got pushed into a corner re: syria. There were only two possible headlines
    1. Trump is hitler, approves of Assad gassing his own citizens
    2. Trump is nuclear hitler, escalates tensions with Russia. Is ww3 coming?
    Careful not to push it anymore. The only circumstance in which Mr Ivan would actually do a pre-emptive nuclear strike is if he believes the "tolerant left" has gained so much political power that retarded oldguard neolibs and neocons might impeach trump and actually triple down on their "russia is evil existential threat to our democracy!". If you want to talk about the pathway to nuclear armaggedon, the threat is at home, not abroad in russia.

Anyway the real news right now is NK. US is bluffing by sending the USS Carl Vinson. If the pentagon really expected an escalation, they'd be sending more than just one carrier group. End game seems to be getting China to clamp down on NK. And in a worser case, getting China to bomb NK nuclear facilities after little kimmy panics and does something stupid. Trump's already got China sending back NK coal and buying US coal instead. That'll be a big win for him politically.

If Trump manages to actually do something about NK, that'll be a legacy he can be proud of. Unlike that Obama dude whose only legacy after 8 years will be the facilitation of ISIS, the destruction of Libya as the cork in the wine bottle, and the subsequent fall of Europe into political instability and perhaps even civil war.
    Last edited: April 13, 2017
  5. tatsujb

@elodea you really are like talking to Alex Jones. You've cut my breath I'm just so WILDLY flabbergasted by how far-fetched what you're saying is.

So now China .... is going to buy U.S. coal .... to a sufficient degree .... to bring U.S. economy numbers back up thunderously ?
  6. elodea

elodea Post Master General

lol where did i say that? Take off your political blinders.

I said,
  7. tatsujb

for it to be considered a "big win" you know ....other than by himself, it'd have to be exactly what I described. Anything other and we're left with our current situation : where both leftists and rightists are equally as tired of "taking trump's word for it"....
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

On the other hand if he manages to scare NK enough for them to go completely stupid and decide they have to nuke some big city Trump will also go down in history for that. It'll just not look very good.

Alex Jones quality content indeed.
    Gorbles and tatsujb like this.
  9. thetrophysystem

How come, when the rape victim is raped, the rapist is to blame, but when the US is nuked by North Korea, it's the US's fault? We should either blame the rape victim for their part too... or; OR... we can stop blaming the victim of the rogue nuke strike, the US, in this case.

Btw, any fledgling tech that North Korea has, can probably be intercepted with a 50% success rate, which is why they double-tap it, from what I am to understand about the situation. If they fired one, successfully or not, at an actual target, then China themselves would have to figure out what they're doing about it, because it's their circus monkey. I hope they choose the "Cincinnati Zoo" solution, imho.

Gotten used to appeasing NK for boasting that they're arsenal is becoming nuclear and threatening nations globally. They should recognize they can exist on their own if they like, nobody is saying they can't, but they can only do so if they leave everyone else well the f**k alone. Even then, it's hard to swallow what they're doing to their citizens, it's not exactly better than what Syria or Iran is doing.
  10. tatsujb

because rape is in no way similar to nuclear war?

see this is why metaphors suck

they necessarily don't fit because of missing elements. you add to the metaphor, you add to the metaphor and you end up with real life which is the context you should have been analyzing it in in the first place.

If comparing your thing to another becomes a way of saying red equals blue then maybe you should be questioning the method.

/aside I guess we're putting the mars thing on hold? shame. I was on fire there.
  11. cola_colin

Problem is that it seems highly unlikely NK would nuke (or generally attack) anybody unless extremely provoked. They know they're gonna lose everything if they actually do that, they'd only do it out of uncontrolled anger.

So it would go "US attacks NK, i.e. in a similar fashion they just did Syria, NK goes crazy and decides to go out in a big million killing bang."

So actually if you want to press this into your rape-metaphor it would be the US rape NK and NK goes mental over it, going on a killing spree.

Let NK alone. Yes their populations situation is bad, but just like in Syria: The track record of attempts of "the west" to fix human rights issues via violent actions is so incredibly bad it seems delusional to think anybody could do anything that way.

If you feel sorry for their populations situation provide food or medical supplies or whatever they might need to them.
  12. thetrophysystem

Okay, what you are saying, is that if a nation provokes an nation with words or culture, they have a right to kill your citizens in mass. You are rationalizing terrorism in Germany and France, all those victims deserved it, they shouldn't have provoked the terrorism while wearing their provocative western cultures... They basically wanted it.
    The sentiment toward "Hitler" was "he is a country leader, let him alone, it doesn't affect you", until it did.

NK doesn't affect us, their threats do. Being threatened is NOT ACCEPTABLE, you can not prosecute a target of a threat, you prosecute the source of the threats, this is fundamental! How can this be up for discussion?

It's illegal, they permanently imprison and threaten execution on anyone they catch not belonging in the country, and they imprison and execute any of their own people caught accepting outside supplies. We might as well give them ebola, it's just as humanitarian.
  13. tatsujb

I'm saying that : as you clearly demonstrate here, the analogy fails to hold.
  14. cola_colin

Your always wiser in hindsight.
    But I stay with my opinion that in general it is the better idea to stay calm and rational and let them be.

And yet more and more western media is smuggled into the country and people watch stuff in secret, risking their life for it.
  15. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Jesus Christ on a flying pogo stick, what?
  16. tatsujb

17. thetrophysystem

They do more than "risk" it sometimes, bruv. Or is constant loss of life absolutely necessary these days?
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

19. tatsujb

aww even the end jingle was in accordion music!

this entire episode is so cool!!!

which he had a litlle more representative inside info such as Mélenchon actually bypassed 30% and isn't strictly anti-europe in fact in the televised debate he said his qualms with Europe were to be settled with negotiations not with an exit and macron holds all the media outlets as such all the polls released present him in front but the french know this so this tactic isn't working all that well.

this Mélenchon meeting happened in my town just yesterday :

(number 4 on trending on youtube holy ****)
    28:26 he flatly disavows the anti-europe rumor.

but yeah as we inch ever closer the stakes are unfortold highs.

read this for more detail on the french elections
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/the-politics-thread-play-nicely.70907/page-140#post-1139859
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/the-politics-thread-play-nicely.70907/page-141#post-1139860

edit forgot to mention this gem dunno how : http://fiscalkombat.fr/
    Last edited: April 17, 2017
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. tatsujb