[Suggestion] An in-game music player

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SolitaryCheese, February 26, 2014.

1. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

What I'm about to suggest is a 'music player' option in the main menu, similiar to what we had in TA, where we can listen to the orchastral soundtrack.

AND! To take it even further, a small music player floating window for when we are in a match! So, we can select which track we want to listen to while we play, as well as adjust the volume, etc...! Oh, yes!

Having said all this, I can't wait for the orchastral soundtrack! I bet it's gonna be eargasmic!

Oh, by the way... how about... if that music player could also play any music we have on our computer? Just for the unlikely event we'd get bored of the orchastra.

Discuss! :rolleyes:
    cdrkf, LavaSnake, warrenkc and 3 others like this.
  2. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

i def. like the idea of playing our own music... but I was afraid to even approach the topic given the impending orchestral music.

having some control over it would be super! even if it's buried in the options. not sure if i'm digging a floating window, though. as great as it is, PiP is already tipping the scales of on-screen clutter.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

This is probably better left to a mod, but it is a good idea.
    Antiglow and ooshr32 like this.
  4. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Didn't Valve just announce something like that for Steam?
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

uhm...

disscused to death and everytime everyone just said to turn the music volume off in PA and use your own media player.

which I agree with , you have media keys and hotkeys that work for said apps while using PA fullscreen simultaneously.
    and in the case of some they even have an overlay that will show on top of PA with clickable buttons.

so why try to concurence that with an ingame player that cuts the music when PA is stopped and restarted?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  6. keterei

keterei Active Member

If you have steam press shift and tab together, open browser in lower left, open youtube, load playlist or album, profit.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Or just have a normal browser with youtube in the background. So no steam required ;)
    keterei and Antiglow like this.
  8. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Music player? Why not just mute the ingame music and then use whatever music player you want?
    keterei, kothanlem, fr2ed and 3 others like this.
  9. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Asking the other players in the game to pause so you can switch the playlist to battle music instead of base building music gets tedious. :p
    nateious likes this.
  10. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Yes, Imagine listening to Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Nightwish or any other arbitrary piece of music as you smash a asteroid into a planet. It would be epic. If it's possible I was thinking of creating a audio player mod sometime after the game is released. Now Howard's score is awesome and I cannot wait for it. I'm about to break.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/audio-player-mod.54210/
    No +CD.:( It would be awesome. Are you guys planning to implement audio cues? Could be implemented as a mod? With that mod be able to read music files from a directory? I'm just thinking about the sandboxing. Also access to PA's sound subsystem.

edit: The ability to control volume, etc through the game. It can help people focus on the battle.
    Last edited: February 27, 2014
  11. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

If you just want to play music then alt tabbing and using your favourite media player is pretty straight forward. No need for a special interface in the game.

But there is one thing, a lot of games for the original xbox allowed you to play music from the hard drive. And that music was properly integrated into the game. So you would choose the music that you wanted for a particular level, or in a fighting game it would pick tracks from your library at random and so on. This was one of those magical features that somehow didn't quite make it across the gap to the next gen.

Instead of just playing music in the background, you could potentially point the game at the kind of music you'd want it to play during base building, combat, aftermaths etc. Your custom music would be more properly integrated with the dynamic system of the game.

It's a big feature but it's a good way that an in-game player can do more than just play music.
  12. Mosse

Mosse Member

retrry likes this.
  13. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

BTW the new version of the soundtrack is.... fantastic!
    lokiCML and SolitaryCheese like this.
  14. Mosse

Mosse Member

Just give us a teaser already. Upload one track to youtube or something.
  15. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Just wait untill Steam music hits ;)
  16. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Since the custom music player part was pretty much shot down by lots of people... well, I guess that's out.
    (Nah, I'm not going to use Steam... just never!)

But, how about the part with the orchastral music? To be able to select which track plays at any given time? Or will the music files will be freely available to extract from the game files?
    vyolin likes this.
  17. fr2ed

fr2ed Member

If you have access to beta phase, i assume that, at least, you bought the warfare edition ?
    This edition and all the upper's versions provide the original soundtrack on download.
  18. tatsujb

MEDIA ...KEYS...

HOT.... KEYS....

OVERLAY....
    jp.jpg
    jj.jpg
  19. tatsujb

20. kajeuter

kajeuter New Member

Bad Idea. When making it able for players to play their own music, the new awesome orchestral music would not be needed anymore, since everyone is listening to their own music anyway. :eek: