Smarter selection

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, March 8, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Currently selection differentiates between fabbers and fighters. I'd like to see it also differentiate between combat ground and air units. When I'm trying to mass select an army I don't want to also take my base CAP with me.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a large air patrol over my base which makes unit selection tricky.
  2. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

The system in SupCom worked pretty well, I hope they implement something similar but with added features.

So drag select would select every combat unit, and shift-drag select would select everything including builder units.

The icons to select or deselect the exact units you want are already in place, but I propose a secondary 'class' button that you can click, so it would select/deselect all air or land units for example.
    Quitch likes this.
  3. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

+1

That should be quite small change, since it follows the same basic logic.

In the long run I would like also commands for explicitly telling that what types of units you want to select - especially for orbital. It could also be coupled with visual changes that make all other units fade out or something, so that it would be easier to see all the units of one kind.
  4. tripper

tripper Active Member

I'm hoping we can get some kind of layer isolation for selection purposes. Where for instance the ground and orbital layers remain visible but the box select only picks up air units, etcetera.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

They should fix the bug that it selects whatever the majority is in the box.
    It should always select fighers first. The current system is hard to manage.
    cptconundrum, FSN1977 and Quitch like this.
  6. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Yeah orbital is a hassel, if you got alot of units on screen.
  7. kimmynl

kimmynl New Member

Yes please. Sick of having to click and ctrl-click those tiny portraits in the left bottom. I just want to hold a button, drag, and do a victory dance over having only selected what I needed.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've been asking for this for some time.
  9. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

It's a feature.

[​IMG]
    cptconundrum and cola_colin like this.
  10. aevs

aevs Post Master General

It is a feature. If I'm trying to select a group of fabbers, I don't want it to mess up because a single dox happens to be wandering nearby.
  11. cola_colin

It's a horrible feature. When you have a mixture of both you never now what you will end up with. It's just plain horrible.
    Quitch and cptconundrum like this.
  12. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Don't get me wrong here, it can be annoying sometimes, and I think we need to have modifiers that affect what is picked up in box selections instead.
    Right now though, making it a pain in the *** to select a group of fabricators seems like a bad idea to me. I don't usually have a problem with the majority rule, because I can judge how many units of a type are in an area most of the time.
  13. cola_colin

We need a simple modifier to toggle between select fighters or select workers. Controlled by the user. Not be some numbers that are really hard to read before executing the select.
    Quitch and aevs like this.
  14. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

There'd be some sort of midifier.

Hold down a certain key and then you can choose whether you want ground/air/orbital/fabber.
  15. cola_colin

That's what I mean.
    Somebody should implement that as mod, should be possible :p
  16. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

It's also counter-intuitive because no other RTS uses this selection method.
  17. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

i mentioned this to sorian (i think it was sorian) at the last pace tourny. He said he would mention it =/