Secondary Colors are Coming Back!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, April 29, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Taken from here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/we-added-a-new-private-forum-for-the-vanguards.59146/

I create this new thread because that's pretty exciting news and pretty easily overlooked since it's way off topic from the original thread.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Yay! Are we getting perfect balance and the unit cannon next? Alongside galactic war?
    LavaSnake and ArchieBuld like this.
  3. brianpurkiss

Oh yeah. They're giving us perfect balance at 3:48 tomorrow, the Unit Cannon on Thursday at 2:92, and Galactic War on Monday at 32:78.

Gonna be awesome!
  4. emraldis

Sweet! The secondary colors on their own was good enough, but this! Can't wait!
  5. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Due to a delay with package delivery, Perfect Balance will be delivered to us on May 3, in the afternoon.

[​IMG]
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  6. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

we've had the unit cannon in for several builds now. i don't understand why this feature is still requested so much.
    Devak, dsiOne, EdWood and 2 others like this.
  7. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

They want two.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  8. emraldis

Yeah, one just doesn't cut it. Sorry Brad!
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  9. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Could we use secondary color to distinguish units between players in shared army mode? Each player in a team would get his own color.

When a player selects units, the border of the unit icons take the secondary color of the player so we can know who selects who.

On the units themselves, the secondary color would be the team leader's one. Or maybe the units and buildings would get the secondary color of the commander who built it. But it would overcomplicate the looks of the game and use more programming time.

The commander would get the secondary color of the player.

But then, we would need a way to know which secondary color belongs to which player in the team. It may clutter the player list UI. It would be fine for a low number of players per team but if the numbers get high, it may be more complicated.
    Last edited: April 29, 2014
    mwreynolds and cptconundrum like this.
  10. emraldis

Does it matter to the other team who is who? I don't really care exactly who i'm killing in a shared teams game, all i'd need to know is primary color...
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Team members might want to know who last controlled a unit so they can make a quicj decision without having to ask if they're allowed to use something. Casters would also love to know which player is controlling which units.
    superouman likes this.
  12. superouman

superouman Post Master General

It's for your allies.
    How many times did you say "Who selected those units i am controlling???"
  13. emraldis

True, but spectators already have an advanced menu, with multiple tabs, it could be put in there as a "team details" tab.

I rarely say that, but I guess it's just me. Also in that case, wouldn't you just pay attention to your color before hand since you're picking it? also, perhaps you could click on a team in the player list to see it's constituents and what colors they use.
  14. brianpurkiss

I'm not so sure about that selection stuff...

It has some advantages, but there are some disadvantages too.

I'm guessing Uber is gonna want to use secondary colors to increase the number of available colors so we can have visual distinctions on our 30+ way FFAs. (speculation, no indication from Uber either way)

If we want ways to see who has selected what, then there's much easier ways to do this. Mainly, have a selection indicator. Have a light grey circle around units that are selected by someone else.

That way we can have the best of both worlds.
  15. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

32:78...?

Oh god, did I just experience another temporal shift?
  16. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

Yeah some kind of indication that a teammate has selected a group of units would be nice. I have had several instances where I send a group of fighters on a suicide mission to scout a base and my friend moves them back because he thought they were being dumb.
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

TS coordination in shared armies is vital and always will be. If you are't coordinated with your team mate, play alliances.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  18. brianpurkiss

Very much agree with this.
  19. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

About the unit cannon, I even saw it in Metas Dark Souls II stream.... hmmmm ^^
  20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I never lost mine. Shame to those who did.

when it comes back, another mod gets retired. First one I can remember that wasn't a dev added player feature, but rather a dev feature player patched and dev readded.