[REQ] Defense of the Archon - MOBA Mod

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by philoscience, November 23, 2014.

1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Now that we are starting to get some real map editor tools, and others have figured out ways to give Commanders a set of abilities that can be swapped in or out at the beginning of a match, it seems like we have the possibility of following RTS history by making a PA MOBA. What we need is:

1. A commander ability system
    2. Maps with dedicated lanes
    3. Maps with prebuilt factories at a set build rate, that can maybe be upgraded to T2
    4. A system for accruing XP or cash
    1-3 are already possible using cheats and mods. I'm not sure about 4- if nothing else perhaps one could make wrecks super fast to reclaim and convert the economy to metal only. That might do it. CPT conundrum has already partially solved 1 -

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-league-of-commanders.66087/#post-1036981

I'm sure at first it would be a bit dinky, but it could actually evolve into something fun! I think there are already some moba elements in PA gameplay - just look at the old days of super commander rushing or comboxing!
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Id love a moba where you don't upgrade your hero, but your hero upgrades the creeps around them.

That could be cool.
    cdrkf and philoscience like this.
  3. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

That could be really neat and fit the PA mechanics better. Like your com can spend metal to build buff or debuff towers that don't only attack but give multiplier bonuses. You would need to trade off between rambo-com and buff-com. Also specialized upgrades could exist for creeps to fight these towers specifically. Different types of mines and walls that are cheap to build but easy to destroy. Make dynamic construction a new mechanic in MOBA.
    Last edited: November 23, 2014
    cdrkf and igncom1 like this.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

So this could maybe be done if all the commanders were just "archons" that sit in your spawn area and just pump out bots. They could also spawn heroes that you can control and when you die or intentionally respawn, it would be killing off your hero and creating a new one with whatever new level you have achieved since your last respawn. This does mean that you can only level up after a respawn, but that could be interesting. I don't know how to count kills for experience though. Maybe after a kill you need to reclaim their wreckage to earn metal? Then when you respawn you could spend that metal on an upgraded commander.

So that sounds a little like the combat fab commander I made. It's only weapon is a powerful nanolathe that lets it reclaim enemies, but it can also build defenses on the front line and heal friendly units.
    philoscience and cdrkf like this.