[REL] Spaced-out Defence Towers

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by superouman, February 20, 2014.

1. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Spaced-out Defence Towers

[​IMG]

I don't like how close defence tower are when we drag them, it's a total overkill, a waste of resources and I always cry when I see the uber devs do it in their livestreams. This feature has the potential to be very useful to draw long line of turrets without investing a ton of metal to defence a small area.
    This is why I modified defence tower's json files and added "area_build_separation":15. It may be too low, give me your feedback about this.
    The modified files are the following:
    • Single Laser Tower
    • Double Laser Tower
    • Triple Laser Tower
    • Pelter
    • Holkins
    • Flak
    • Catapult
    • Umbrella
    For an unknown reason, basic anti-air towers don't want to change but I still added its modified file.

No more of this!
    [​IMG]

aa1 PA 2014-02-20 20-57-29-55.jpg aa2 PA 2014-02-20 21-01-39-04.jpg catapultPA 2014-02-20 21-16-54-26.jpg holkins PA 2014-02-20 21-01-52-55.jpg pelter PA 2014-02-20 20-56-23-36.jpg t1 turret PA 2014-02-20 20-55-30-79.jpg t2 turret PA 2014-02-20 20-54-27-71.jpg umbrellaPA 2014-02-20 21-17-02-01.jpg
    stormingkiwi, cwarner7264 and snierke like this.
  2. dc443

dc443 Member

This is effing brilliant!

I don't know about needing it on high-cost buildings like catapult and holkins though. Or even pelter. Reason being these are not defensive perimeter buildings. They are actually high priority buildings that I would either be clumping or only ever making one. In either case I'll be quite careful about how I place them.

I would keep it on the pelter, on second thought: it makes for a really quick automatic pelter creep.

Also I bet the single laser tower could use a smaller separation, as they are rather weak and I only ever make them with the Commander (and he's pretty quick about putting them up)

Needs more testing to see if the Flak separation is ideal. I would want a line of my Flaks to completely deny air units from passing over, and it may be the case that a fully dense line of them is required to do this. What I do know is that the large separation as you show may be insufficient against a large formation of aircraft.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This is a nice temporary fix.

I've made a UI suggestion before that would allow us to manually, on the fly, adjust the spacing of turrets, and all buildings. I really hope it gets implemented.

In the meantime. This is nice.

Thanks!
    Remy561, stormingkiwi and Bastilean like this.
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

This is good. I think it would be a nice idea to adjust the spacing for each turret, just enough so that each turret can protect it's neighbours.

edit: which would be weird, or genius, for holkins and catapults ;)
    dc443 likes this.
  5. moldez

moldez Active Member

I really like this mod .. makes it so easy to build up strong defences really quick !
  6. superouman

edit : nevermind, it was because i uninstalled it lol
    Last edited: February 25, 2014
  7. superouman

Small update 1.1
    • Changed the separation value to 25, 15 was still too low
    • Removed Holkins and Catapult changes
    • T1 Anti air turrets changes still don't work :(
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

• Forum Link is wrong
    • can we please please find a way for air turrets to play nice? I really like this mod and I keep making the mistake of assuming it's going to work for air turrets as soon as I get used to doing it with land.
    moldez likes this.
  9. superouman

Little update sphere spacing for umbrellas. I made this change weeks ago but i didn't update it.

There are changes to turret, umbrella and anti-nuke spacings in the PTE. The mod will soon be unnecessary and be incorporated to vanilla.