Please add game speed controls

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killermillergb, October 31, 2013.

?

Would want more Customization option

1. hell Yes

73.0%
  2. what is this guy on?

27.0%
  1. killermillergb

killermillergb New Member

I do not know about any of you, but i do not like waiting 5mins to get some sort of base going for an ai commander to walk in a destroy everything so you have to wait another 5 mins.(OK that was me going to his base by accident cause it doped me were there was no mass. Not the point):)

Some quick solution from the old games(SupComs), have a pre-made base option i,e 4 Metal extractors 2 power gens with a bot factory. That alone remove 5 mins of cup tea time.

or a fast/variable option(can I high light option). Since there are the hardcore gamers out there would find this speed just too slow. If you compare it to sc2 you have to be doing 200APM to play but in this game its do a build que and go for a cup of tea, see whats on the news, then come back and play.( I am not joking, Its what i do)

Maybe a little harsh rant, but there are no ways to change the games option. If there is make it more clear.

I was a real hard core fan of the supcoms i would really like PA to be my next favorite game.
    Last edited: October 31, 2013
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

They said somewhere that the server has the capability of that - however it isn't exposed yet.
  3. killermillergb

killermillergb New Member

Thanks for the response, and lets hope it comes sooner then later. I just want to bump this up, since i think the game speed is ruining the game at the moment .
  4. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

I don't like this solution. It removes choice.

When I am waiting for my commander to build, I plan ahead. I look around and find the best area to scout out first. I decide witch direction to expand first. By the time my first unit rolls of the factory I have made a bunch of decisions and probably already deviated from my standard build order.

Your suggestion doesn't work because there won't be a universal build order fit for every game. People also need time to look around and adapt to the planet.

I suggest for the first X metal your build rate is increased by X%. The numbers can be changed to suit the player. Most importantly it doesn't remove choice. People can still do odd builds like rushing an air factory.
  5. bytestream

bytestream Active Member

This is clearly mod material, devs shouldn't "waste" time on it.
  6. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

if you are someone that loses to AI, i dont think you have time for a cup of tea...
    reptarking likes this.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Isn't the "egg" supposed to give us a customizable set of initial units? I'm not sure if they have a solid plan for that yet, but it seems like the game could get going right away if you could start with up to X metal worth of non-advanced units and keep anything you don't want to start with in storage.
  8. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

By 5 minutes I have usually done a lot of things. I have sent out at least 2 groups of engineers to get metal, had my Com and 1 group of engineers building power, have an air factory up and be scouting and possibly more.

People who play better often have even more than that. This is not SupCom where a 1v1 game can take 45-60 minutes. Games are often resolved within 20-45 minutes in PA. There is no way I could see anyone do that at 2x the speed. Use any free time to expand and advance. By 1:20-30(at a good start position) you should already be building engineers. 18 seconds later you should be giving your engineer his first commands and from there you should be busy.

There is not a "No Rush" option right now, but even with 10 minutes of "No rush" you'd be able to get to orbital and just play with Advanced units. Being able to "super speed" through everything would lose you the game faster. Until each skirmish takes more time to play, a time dilation ability will be worthless.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I believe this is confirmed. But still, +1 to this feature
    nawrot likes this.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The proposed solution is only a work around to the real problem.

On it's own the Idea has some merit but using them to try and solve a problem isn't helping anyone.

The concerns of slow early-early gameplay aren't entirely unfounded, especially given PA's current state, but the current state isn't representative of the final state, things like the Egg and potential tweaks to starting resources could greatly speed up the early early.

If it wasn't for the Egg, I'd be super pushing for tweaking things so that you can do a "Factory First" as any build order as was seen in SupCom.

Mike
  11. sirwickenshire

sirwickenshire New Member

This game is agonizingly slow, anyone who says that a feature to increase in-game speed is a "waste" or "useless" probably isn't a very intensive gamer, fast paced games probably aren't for you and strategy games can very easily be that, and in some cases need to be that, this game is one of those cases. Play chess if you like slow placed thinking and strategy honestly.

The game is awesome don't get me wrong, long time fan of TA and plenty of RTS's, but this game needs an increase in speed, it doesn't take me long at all to get a strat going, or to change multiple ideas in a layout of my strat.

If I could have it my way my average game speed would be almost triple what it is now, I don't know about anyone else but I can function and crush bots at that rate, players too, it's like SC2. :/

Saying its a waste is harsh and rude, and there's no need to be an ******* about it, if you like slow gaming then DON'T play a match with increased gamespeed, tons of RTS's have this option, and it can be changed at any point without pausing most of them.

I'm not trying to be rude, but again, you're taking an eternity to think of a gameplan if this game is moving at an already fast pace for you.
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I know my apm can't keep up with a pro player, but there is no way anybody but matiz could handle a 3x speed up and not lose track of things. This game is already really fast paced when you have things going on over multiple fronts.

Are you sure you're not just playing slowly, building up too much, and making defenses? You might need to be doing more raiding and use smaller groups of units earlier on. Have you only played against the ai and weak players, or do you play against good players?
  13. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I don't think it's needed at all. For the sole reason that each map is different. There is thankfully no 1 build fits all maps this patch. First patch where all 3 factories are good options.

I have often exhausted my apm and still think I could have done things a lot better. And the quiet time at the start I usually say hi and gl hf to the opponent or discuss tactics with my ally.
  14. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

The game is already insanely fast. It is a bit slow at the beginning but that is the nature of the beast. If you speed up the start then you also speed up the end, which is not desirable.

You can not do the kind of ponderous playing you could in TA and supcom. Any faster and the game just straight up becomes APM spam like starcraft no matter how good command and control is.

As for early build speed, one of the roles the commander has is being a fast builder to exactly speed up that process. You just need to set the starting resources such that he can use it.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  15. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

This is definitely one of the more stressful RTS games I've played. Unlike any other RTS you have no clue where the enemy is, were as in all others he is just on the other side of the map. In this game he could at any point be in space and everything you built could be nothing but a waste of resources.

You need to constantly be on your toes even from the start or you'll be completely overrun by the player who gains an even so slight advantage.
  16. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I fully agree - the game is already borderline too fast.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wouldn't it be ironic as fu ck that it become a tradition for everyone to hit '- - - - - - - - - -' just as the game starts? [​IMG] ah? ah?
    someonewhoisnobody likes this.
  18. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

I find the beging really fun and not slow because that is the time that you are scouting and finding out where your enimies are and then proceeding to try and stop then from expanding and expand yourself while other people try to stop you.

As a note right now it is quite possible to loose to the AI because if you spawn to close to it, it triggers some sort of "I can't win this" method and it just goes and com rushes you. Usually you can still win against it but its com explosion takes you down.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

20. ToTQ

ToTQ New Member

+1 To adjustable game speed please. I enjoyed SC series games on the hardest level and slow simulation speed. It was like a nice relaxing game of chess. I was looking forward to this game and when I played it I found out it was just a clickfest. I dont like that and have not played this game. REALLY looking forward to speed adjustments.