Phantom Mod

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Taxman66, March 7, 2014.

1. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

Hello modders.
    I'm not a modder myself and wouldn't have the first clue how to set up my own game mode. However, I'm here to get someone to make a Phantom mod like the one from Forged Alliance - some of you will be familiar with it.

For those that aren't, Phantom was a game mode/mod that started with everyone in the game (usually 6players) in allegiance with one another - so you could see their fog of war etc. Each player would start building up their forces as the clock runs down. After 7 minutes of game time there would be a split in the alliance and at 6 minutes in, everyone will be able to choose the number of 'phantoms' that would come into play at the 7 minute mark (usually this was 2 phantoms as it was most balanced). Phantoms are designated by the game by chance and their role would be to kill everyone, all 5 opponents in the game. They got a large resource bonus and storage bonus. Each phantom would have to both work with the other, but not let them get too powerful to eliminate you.

On the other side would be the 'Paladin' - this player would also get a resource bonus, however his role is much different since he is to protect the 'innocents' (the other players in the game). Innocents are vulnerable to phantoms since they get no resource bonus.

The most compelling part of this game mode is that the alliance remains intact until someone manually breaks their allegiance with another player. No body knows who is who, which makes room for BS and deceit. If you are an innocent and you attack another player, for all you know, you could be attacking another innocent and you may be seen as an aggressive phantom by the other players. This gamemode gives players the opportunity to plan, cheat, deceive and destroy their enemies, which cannot be experienced in any other mode in such a way.

Hopefully, with the introduction of an ingame diplomacy system, modders can recreate this FAF classic. :)
    Last edited: March 7, 2014
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

It's been discussed. Give me a minute to look for the thread.

In any case, Phantom is fantastic fun.

[EDIT] I found Neutrino's thread on gamemodes. I know Phantom is listed by name on page six, but I kinda' have the feeling we discussed it before that.
  3. Taxman66

Ehh I searched 'phantom' and got 3 unrelated results and somehow it missed that thread. Hate this search lol :mad:
  4. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

That sounds like a great mod but it's going to have to wait until Uber gives us server modding capabilities since right now we can only do client side mods.
  5. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

well I, for one, have never heard of phantom. it sounds really cool though! I'm glad it's already on neutrino's gamemode list! thx for posting
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Murder party (and likely phantom) are pretty much confirmed for PA.

what's the point?
  7. Taxman66

If you read the replies you would have deduced that the OP was pointless.
  8. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

This sounds just like TTT or Murder for Garry's mod :D
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it is but phantom came first if I ain't mistaken. (and frankly the mod is much more adapted to RTS) in garry's mod it only works if people get serious and play the roles for a second where they have no obligation to.
  10. HotshotDemon

HotshotDemon New Member

I'd like to reopne this threat. Can someone make this happen please xD
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

this sounds like a fun thing and I have an idea and a few hours of time. Let me see...
    xankar and mgmetal13 like this.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni