PA Unit Database

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by yarmond, July 16, 2013.

1. yarmond

yarmond Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses the old SupcomDB site, with its glorious pages full unit statistics. Well, I spent a bit of time putting something together, and now there's an equivalent for PA:

http://www.pa-db.com

The content is generated dynamically from the game's JSON files, so it will be easy to keep updated as we roll through the many alpha builds to come. The source code for the site is available on Github, if you want to run a copy that runs locally. All you need is a copy of Python (3.2 or newer) and an installed copy of the PA alpha.

Suggestions for improvements are always welcome!
    Raevn, shootall, LavaSnake and 5 others like this.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

A project was already underway, see: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47678

We were waiting for approval to upload it to a website, as it contains in-game content.
    shootall likes this.
  3. yarmond

yarmond Member

Oh! Not sure how I missed that one. I had only seen the unit viewer in this thread, which didn't seem to be going in the same direction as what I was looking for. I can take down the site if someone at Uber thinks it's not appropriate.
    shootall likes this.
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It shouldn't be an issue (although I don't speak for Uber), oxide's viewer included a lot more content including models & textures, rather than just unit stats.
    shootall likes this.
  5. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Nicely done! Now I can pore over the stats while I wait for beta.
  6. osirus9

osirus9 Member

Just taking a look through here I see a unit called "beast" http://www.pa-db.com/unit/beast

looks like some kind of super engineer. possibly a support commander? Or maybe just a dev unit for debugging stuff?

Also I see orbital factories, and orbital landers! YAY!
  7. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

The beast is actually one of the commanders, as suggested by it's location in the "\PA\media\pa\units\commanders" folder.

Curiously, this also containes the "Imperial", "imperial Alpha", "Imperial Delta", "Raptor" and "Spider" commanders. Does this hint perhaps at the underlying story of PA? Are the Imperial robots some remnant of a galactic empire fighting animalistic rebel forces?

If so, then that has a certain resonance with a certain other game with "Annihilation" in the title.
  8. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

This doesn't seem like it follows NDA
  9. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Good thing there's not an NDA, krashkourse.

The AA bot has the wrong name, and the Sheller's unit type and description are wrong.
  10. knox283

knox283 New Member

Dammit krash, we told you about this :p
  11. soghog

soghog Member

A lot of the database has been out of date for a while. Could you please update? I've tried using the unit viewer mod but I can't seem to get it to install properly.
  12. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I've had a quick look at getting the PA wiki up and running - could anyone give me a hand in locating up-to-date stats for units?
  13. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

shootall and cwarner7264 like this.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

15. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

is it official?
  16. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

17. lokiCML

I'm sorry but I was trying to find out it was "official" as sanctioned by Uber Entertainment. in fact the site clearly states that is not affiliated with Uber. I believe that is just a community site but not official one. Just saying yes doesn't really help. Giving evidence to back up your claim would be nice. Just so you don't think I'm saying all the time but when one person request. :)
    Last edited: September 3, 2013
  18. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

shootall likes this.
  19. lokiCML

Okay, thank you.
  20. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I think I'd prefer yarmond's database over the wiki.

It has a lot less flare, and tells you exactly what you'd be looking for.(Because, if you go to that site knowing what it is, you're going to be looking for unit stats.)

It also gives us a little sneak-peak at whats coming. ;)))