PA only got - 500mb

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kalherine, November 13, 2013.

1. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

I have format my HD ,then have to instal all again ,but when instal PA i notice -500mb ,isnt that too low on data?
  2. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

no,the game is procedurally generated
  3. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Also we don't have the server yet, so it's still very small compared to what it will likely be later.

Also procedural generation takes off a HUGE amount of data.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  4. maxpowerz

that means the game has no built in level's saving hdd space, after you generate a ton of systems i bet your hdd has less room on it.
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

This.

Overall, the space on drive isn't huge. Even with the server, it's a remarkably small game compared to a lot of games out there now. Procedural generation reduces a lot of the space on disk.

It will continue to grow, and on our Steam page, we list "2GB" of space, but realistically, it'll likely be more like 1.2GB. The server currently, roughly, doubles the size of the game. But I don't know if we've trimmed anything out of either client or server that isn't needed, so it may be a bit smaller. Unlikely that it would get much bigger, other than the inevitable adding of more units, more biome types, and more procedural assets for generation and gameplay.
    SXX, ghost1107, stormingkiwi and 2 others like this.
  6. maxpowerz

here's an example of how samll data can be made using procedural generation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger

It's a 5 level First Person shooter with quake 3 quality graphics and it's under 96kilobytes in size (thats 1 tenth of a meg)

:) Procedural generation is the the most amazing alogrhythm/concept ever concived :) <-- big fan of procedural generation .. lol
    stormingkiwi and LavaSnake like this.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yay! some leaked stats.

never thought I'd be so small with server! this is really kick ***. Though I guess the big save files and replay files will quickly counteract that, but as someone who records my games with a lossless codec I really ain't one to complain about size. Bring on those big replay files! the features they pack make them sooo worth it!
  8. garat

Replays, even of big games, will be order(s?) of magnitude smaller than lossless video saves. ;-)
    LavaSnake likes this.
  9. maxpowerz

does that mean i will be able to cough*hack*cough my save files and put in a yay i won moment :p
  10. tatsujb

x'D yes that's quite a reassurance
  11. tatsujb

what's the need? with their replay system you can hop in at any time and impersonate the strongest player on the ladder in one of his/her matches.
    (If I understand right?)
    maxpowerz likes this.
  12. maxpowerz

Honest question this time.. lol
    if i review a chronosave and then decide i want to play from x time and do things different, how will PA handle that?
    will it make a second save file or just overwirte the original from the point where i decide to continue my game?
  13. garat

By the way, take estimates about replay file size with a grain of salt. That's based on early tests. Real world games may be quite a bit bigger, we're also not done yet. But I know how ginormous lossless video is, so I still expect replays to be a ton smaller than even a short lossless videos.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  14. tatsujb

why would it overwrite the original.

think of replays as something you'll have a desktop folder for, like music, movies, documents.
    not to mention an online vault for past games (the non-edited ones)
    just about as big as my thr... well lossless video, for a game that lasted more then an hour is very big. around 10GB
    Last edited: November 13, 2013
  15. maxpowerz

im guessing if im reviewing a file it would use that as the save file too.
    maybe if you review a file it will automatically create a second file using the data from the original up to the point where you want to join and then record whatever you do from then onward. that way you will have 2 files with different ending for reveiw.
    that's why i asked i was unsure of how it would be handled.
  16. tatsujb

I dunno seems like it could have a dose of configurability, certain people may not care for the originals but if the replay folder is in your documents (what FA did) then it gives you leisure to manage them the way you prefer.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  17. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Most games these days have enormous CGI/ingame engine videos for cutscenes and what have you, those multiply the game size by a huge amount. PA is a rarity, it wont have any of that along with other better techniques than other games have reduce its size by a large amount.
  18. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

when we review games, can we lock camera to player view? so we see exactly what they see, what they were doing, where there attention was?
  19. tatsujb

stormingkiwi likes this.
  20. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

big save files, ha, I got 4.5 TB of HDD space on my desktop, bring them on :)