On Transports: Unit Type Distribution

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by TheLambaster, March 11, 2014.

1. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Okay, so in SupCom there has always been that issue with transports, that when loading up a bunch of units into several transports, as long as the numbers allow it, each individual transport will be occupied by only 1 type of unit. So when loading up 10*[arty, tank, scout, engie, anti air] into 5*[t2 Cybran transport (10 t1 slots)] you will get:

transport 1 : [arty, arty, arty, arty, arty, arty, arty, arty, arty, arty]

transport 2: [tank, tankt, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank]

etc.

For obvious reasons this is really bad. Losing one transport loses you your entire force of type X. In fact there are a bunch of related problems that occur when using the ferry command in SupCom, which afaik there is no such thing in PA yet, but I assume there at some point will be. So these issues will then become relevant too. Check out this thread in the FAF forums for those issues.

It would be much better if units were loaded up in a way that achieves an even distribution of unit types. So that you get:

transport 1 - transport 5: [arty, arty, tank, tank, scout, scout, engie, engie, anti air, anti air]

I think it's better to speak about this now rather than later.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

But a transport can only load one unit in PA, so that solves the problem.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  3. TheLambaster

I doubt that's gonna stay that way. Having only one type of transport would be pretty lame. Also there might be interplanetary transports at some point, that carry more than one unit. Apart from that, it does not solve the problem that arises with ferry command in SupCom.
  4. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

It's going to stay that way because of area commands.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Not true.

After game release we'll end up getting multi unit transports.

But we won't have to worry about that for a while.

In the meantime, single unit transports solve this issue.

And so far Uber seems doubtful that multi unit drop pods or any form of interplanetary multi unit transports will be needed. I really hope the realize how much of a mistake it is to rely so much on the unit cannon that can't always be used. But we'll see.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  6. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

Is a bigger interplanetary transport in the works? I have dreams of dropships darkening the skies... >:3

But yeah, at the moment I believe the one-unit capacity of the lifters makes it a non-issue.

Aaaaaand ninja'd. Agreed on all fronts. I hope we get both options.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I really hope they end up adding dropships.

So far no dropships are in the works and Mavor has said he doesn't think a multi-unit interplanetary transport and/or dropship will be needed.

I really hope he realized his mistake.

If anything, we'l probably see dropships added eventually – but maybe not at release.

Who knows. There's lots of unknowns up in the air.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  8. Alphasite

Alphasite Active Member

I think the biggest issue, is that he doesn't appreciate just how well people turtle up on planets, and how there is no practical way of eliminating a large enough air force, short of totally wiping out the planet, or maybe he does and doesn't care, i'm not sure, but i think this detracts from the central premise of the game, land battles.

I have a suspicion, its going to be like the addition of stargates, you didn't know you were missing it until you have it. Portals are for friendly planets, and drop pods are for unfriendly. They stop umbrella from creating completely uncountable fortresses, since you can try a land assault on them, letting you bring in the larger attack forces. Its certainly a hell of a lot less micro intensive than the pain in the *** that are orbital assaults.
  9. TheLambaster

Well, area load up command does not replace the ferry command from SupCom. So the ferry related issue still remains potentially. Regardless of wheter there will be multi unit transports or not, Uber should make sure not to reproduce the shortcoming that is present in SupCom there.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

Are you sure supcom worked that way? I never noticed that behavior and thought it was a first come first serve basis the transports were loaded.
  11. TheLambaster

Yes I am sure it workS that way. Follow the link and convince yourself...
  12. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

the game needs a multi unit flying transport but seriously i can't imagen GIANT planets without them

imagen sending to the enemy 50 big transport with 10 bots/tanks in each 25 getts shooted down the other 25 puts down the remaining 250 units that swarms the place !!!!!!!!!!

this flying transport we have now is useless i mean seriously 1 unit ? realy ? im better of creating a gunship instead........or another bot or anything......
  13. TheLambaster

This is not the point of the thread. I agree though.
  14. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

it realy looks like there wont be a transport like that at all..........
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

16. TheLambaster

Like what?? I think you missed the point of this thread. There are two issues. One of which is a potential issue that is independet from how many units a transport can carry.
  17. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

land units................
    4000+ planets............

not everyone like to play on tiny planets........

anywaaaaaaaaaay MODs will fix it.....
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I know, I prefer larger planets anyway.

I still don't see the need to have them, as they (And teleporters) kinda point the point of having forward bases.
  19. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Which also highlights the problem.

The issue in SupCom is also that if you have 50 units, and 1 transport, the transport grabs all of your engies in the first run, then your AA, then your scouts, then your tanks, then your arty.

Therefore in Planetary Annihilation, will we experience a situation with 500 units and 100 transports, where

a) the 100 transports grab 1/5th of your force of mixed unit composition
    b) The 100 transports prioritize grabbing all of your combat fabbers and AA at once.

In favour of multi-unit transports - they do support combined arms/unit diversity more than single unit transports.

You won't always have a forward base.
  20. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Confused about what you mean by the last bit. It's my intention to get the game balanced first without the unit cannon so when it does arrive it can be a differentiator.