On The Able Commander And This Weekend

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, July 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yazilliclick

Yazilliclick Member

I'm not sure why you're requesting us to detail what you should have changed model and texture wise for it to be 'alright' by us to re-use what was promised, for money, to be a unique model.

Honestly if you don't want this sort of reaction then when you label something as unique, especially when you charge money for it like you did with Kickstarter rewards, then that item should be completely off limits for re-use in any regard. Yes the Progenitor is a cool model, that's why some people paid to have it as an exclusive in the first place. Now they don't have that. As far as reasoning for it's use it really doesn't fly; other models could have and should have been used. If you're unwilling to stick to a promises of exclusive and unique then those promises shouldn't be made. If all that is going to be exclusive is a texture then it should be clearly specified that that's all you're promising.

As others have stated the discussion has absolutely nothing to do with charity and I don't think they should even be brought in to it. This isn't the charity's problem and they shouldn't have their name associated with it.

To summarize:
    • Uber needs to very clearly state what they offering when making offers of exclusive or unique items. Is it a texture? Is it a complete 3D model & texture?
    • Uber should properly honor any remaining exclusive/unique promises they've made if there are any others remaining they haven't broken already.
    • Resources that are supposed to be exclusive should be 100% off limits to be used as the base/starting point for any future items.
    These seem like pretty basic rules that other companies follow with these things. I don't think Uber should have to communicate all plans with the community or 'ask permission', that's silly, slow and just a minefield of differing opinions. If the above rules are followed then I don't think situations like this can be run into again though.
    lokiCML, cdrkf and luntbox like this.
  2. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

There is absolutely no way to know if someone would buy something until the very moment in which they buy it.

As Timothy Ferriss himself said, ask people to buy, not *if* they would buy. If they put their money on the table, you know they want the product. All other data is irrelevant and should be ignored. Never base your business on what people *would* do. But exclusively on what people *actually* do.
    popededi likes this.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well your commander is still exclusive, as is the texture, the model however is not. (Which the KS did technically say that the MODEL would be unique)

You do realize if they just removed an antenna or something that'd technically be true, your model would still be unique. :p

That is why I'm trying to get Uber to do a few changes to the model, the best part is that the textures wouldn't even need to be changed as you'd presumably just be removing something. (If they removed the loin cloth thing for example.)
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

So, there seems to be a fundamental disconnect between what most people would consider a model (3D mesh) and what you consider a model (3D mesh with texture), and since you've changed the model (3D mesh) of the Delta/Invictus but not altered the texture in any way, thus it is considered to be a new model (3D mesh with texture)... that tracks too.

You're claiming that because you changed the texture, you've created a "new model"... or that you can change the model (very superficially) and keep the same texture, and that too, is a "new model", correct?

I just want to clarify Uber's position on these definitions so that further confusion will not arise with the use of terms outside their usual remit; to define things that they usually do not define.
    Last edited: July 14, 2014
    lokiCML, cdrkf and aevs like this.
  5. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

You wrote down very nicely that I was trying to express for a whole 3 posts. Thanks.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  6. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm going to leave this here.

[​IMG]
    carlorizzante likes this.
  8. japporo

japporo Active Member

My word, is this still ongoing?

I'll throw my lot in with Uber here; it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I still have a Progenitor commander, for whatever it's worth, and it still uniquely identifies me as a KS backer. End of story.
  9. BradNicholson

I just wanted to add: even though it's a solution, we can't alter Able in a significant way at the moment. Our production schedule is too tight, the art team drawn too thin. If we end up not offering Able (which is still on the table, by the way), we will unfortunately not be able to support the AbleGamers Foundation with an in-game item for the foreseeable future.
  10. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

cptconundrum likes this.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Are there any Community themed options on the table?

Mike
    lokiCML and cptconundrum like this.
  12. BradNicholson

We don't have the time to create a new asset or do anything different, if that's what you're asking.
  13. KNight

Allow me to rephrase, I wasn't very clear before. Are there any options that allow for community outsourcing?

Mike
  14. BradNicholson

We're not in a position to do that right now.
  15. KNight

That is unfortunate.

Mike
  16. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

17. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Still no comment from Uber about the "unique model" phrasing on the kickstarter.
    lokiCML and cdrkf like this.
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They know they made a mistake, you don't need to push it so much, heck they're setting up a vote to see if it should be taken down and redone... a couple months from now or so...
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

20. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.