Offline play vs AI

Discussion in 'Support!' started by j0hnb0y, September 1, 2013.

1. j0hnb0y

j0hnb0y New Member

Hi all,

Any idea when "offline" versions might become available? I'm working offshore with a very flaky 3g connection. I can connect to ubernet and start a game against the AI but it lags terribly.

I take it offline play will be available further down the line?
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Likely mid-late Beta.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm think it's will be available at release or shortly after release.
    At least I'm personally don't think it's nice idea to share servers before release.
  4. j0hnb0y

j0hnb0y New Member

So just to be sure I'm doing this right...I choose custom match, join an army, AI spawns in and the game launches. All the data needs to go via the Ubernet server and then back to my laptop? Sorry this is a bit off topic. Loving the game so far and it's running surprisingly well on my laptop. Shame about the 3G signal!
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Everything in game calculated on server with 10 FPS, so it's mean your local client need to download game state 10 times per second.

To play you need to be able download 2-3mbps per second and 500-800MB bandwidth per hour. It's important if your 3G isn’t unlimited. Upload isn't much important.
  6. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

To play the game against AI locally you would need to run the server locally. This isn't something we'll be releasing until, well, the final release version.

With the final release build of the game you'll be able to either locally host a game server you setup or just jump straight into a local skirmish battle from in game (which will launch a local server in the background for just you).
    SXX likes this.
  7. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Isn't this something you guys would like to have tested before release? Different hardware configurations etc.

I gather current servers are on EC2, do you guys plan to provide recommended AMIs or is that something to be left to the community?
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think you understand that "release" it's only date, it's not mean that Uber will stop development immediately after this date, but Uber have many many reasons to not release server side before game is polished and I sure you can easily guess and understand these reasons.

Not only, probably most of them (at least half month ago) was on SoftLayer and some like Australia were on some unknown platform.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well the server is already being tested to a degree on Uber's Servers and Uber has some testing hardware as well. It's what you play games on already, it's just not available locally yet.

Mike
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

When we're doing development work we're most frequently running the game locally on the same machine as the client. For larger games (3-10 people) we've played the game with a random computer in the office acting as a dedicated server, or a server on the same machine as one of the players, though we do most frequently play games on the hosted servers.

It's plausible we'd put out a build with the game server before release for a bit of testing, but the client and server share a good bit of the code that might cause any platform issues, so if the client runs it's highly unlikely the server wouldn't.
  11. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

I know this has prolly already been asked/answered, but what kind/amount of processor/ram are you using on said machines? Assuming that the server doesn't use the gpu for anything.....
  12. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Given that their internal builds are very close to our alpha builds, I'd suggest they've yet to run an inter planetary game with the scale and unit numbers which come with that territory, so whatever servers run the game well now might not be good enough. Plus there's the ol' optimisation to be done, so even if a dev did answer you, I wouldn't trust them :)
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

In early alpha neutrino said they're using single core per game server.
  14. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

We have a range of machines in the office, ranging from a few laptops (both Mac and random PC manufacturers) and a Mac Mini, to top of the line Ivy Bridge Core i7 with 32 gigabytes of RAM. Video cards range from the NVidia GeForce 9800GT to a NVidia Titan.

My personal work machine is a Core i7 920 w/ 12 gigabytes of RAM and a GeForce 570 GTX. I'm regularly running Photoshop, 3ds Max, Visual Studio, Chrome, and an assortment of other programs at the same time as running the game client and server locally with a handful of AI.

The server usually runs in "headless" mode, especially when running on cloud servers, and does not require a GPU. Some people in the office run the server with it's own viewport into the game. It looks a lot like the F11 debug view, but without any textures or unit models (the server doesn't use those). That view does require a GPU, but is only really useful for debugging issues between the client and server.
    SXX and infuscoletum like this.
  15. infuscoletum

A quick google search and it seems really close to my rig in terms of capability +4GB of ram.

I've been meaning to up my ram anyways: running chrome (I have WAY to many tabs pinned in it...), some open folders, audacity with 2 tracks and winamp playing the new NIN album and im at 5/8GB used...... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::oops: (131 processes)
  16. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The first generation Core i7 cpus have an odd ball number of 3 memory channels, hence 12 gigs. All later Core cpus are 4 or 2 channel as well as all AMD cpus (that I'm aware of).
  17. infuscoletum

LOL I remember thinking WTF? when I looked at the 3 channel boards even :D Just seemed wrong somehow :p