No incentive to stay in a losing game..

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Feedback and Issues' started by Briq, September 3, 2010.

1. Briq

Briq New Member

I know this is more a of a problem with xbox games in general, but it seems particularly prominent in mnc. There's no incentive at all to stay in a game that you have a very low chance of winning other than good sportsmanship, which as I'm sure most of you know is largely absent on Xbox live. From what I understand all you have to do is hit start and leave game and all the bad things that happened just go away. Your stats don't save and they were most likely bad anyway, so if anything this just adds to the problem. At least in most other games you get some sort of penalty for leaving early. Even if there were a penalty that still doesn't really do anything except make you have to dashboard to avoid it, but that's still a little more annoying than using the in game menu. I don't really have any suggestions for a fix to the issue, it's not an easy problem to solve.
    Last edited: September 5, 2010
  2. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

stats save as long as u don't quit to dashboard or turn off ur xbox

i also approve of the ease of quitting a game with the horrible host selection this game has at the moment
  3. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

One problem is that even if you stay, you'll probably just end up with the same teams playing each other again. It would be nice if you could at least count on the teams being randomized the next game if you stick with it
  4. Briq

Briq New Member

Good point.

You sure about that?
  5. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Stats should only save at the end of the game. Leaving before it's over should not save the stats.
  6. BoltAktion

BoltAktion New Member

Ya its fine the way it is tbh, I dont want my stats mucked up cuz my team is full of low ranks on a bad host who lose in under 2 minutes because they dunno wtf they be doing
  7. Zelandia

Zelandia New Member

I never leave a game early. Hell, one game I was in we were losing from the very beginning, we must have had 5% of our shield left.

Then overtime hit and we zerged them and won.

I never leave a game early.
  8. Cornstalk

Cornstalk New Member

Even in a losing game you can often make 3k for the match for toughing it out.

On the other hand, there are cases where it just isn't worth it. Lag being the biggest.

There are times when it just won't add new players too. Being on a team with 3 vs 6 goes past the point of challenging into masochistic.

Sometimes the team you're put on isn't woth the frustation too. Like your team having 3 assassins that are 3 and 20 vs a team with 4 gunners and two support. I'm a terrible sniper, so there's no fun to be had there.
  9. tlbww

tlbww New Member

I leave quite a bit during the game. Barring the cheaters, lag, or other priorities, I can't stand trying my best on a team of ppl concerned with k/d ratio or complete novices that can't protect their base. Too often I'm forced to play this 1 man against the world thing. I'll get mvp sure, but I'm on the losing team in the end and will be with the same ppl again. This happens, of course, if you join a random game w/o friends.

There really isn't much reason to stay in a losing or lagging game. Might as well quit and hope for a better draw.
  10. OptiMAT

OptiMAT New Member

I can completely sympathise with people quitting, I do it all the time. It gives you Bad Rep but what the hell, I know my own worth. I wouldn't quit in a fair game; I like to get a bit of a challenge - but if it's impossible to play or you can't get out of your spawn because there's a tank right outside the door looking in... You're right I'm quitting.

If I don't get the money earned that round that's fine by me in certain situations. I don't mind losing though. :)
  11. ironzerg

ironzerg New Member

I'll never quit a game unless it's unplayably laggy, or I'm leaving to join some friends who just logged on. Even in a very tilted match, I'll do the best I can. Sometimes I find being overwhelmed or camped sparks some innovation in my playstyle.

Simply quitting matches until you find a team that's going to carry you to a win does nothing for your own worth. If you're constantly quitting, you either need to find more friends to play with or find a new game. Maybe sticking in the single player Blitz matches would help your ego?

You want an easy fix to people leaving? Start tracking Win/Lose over Games Played. Call it the "Guts Ratio" or something. Let the people carrying the shame of being a quitter somewhere we can see it.
  12. Silentblade4289

Silentblade4289 New Member

This is not true. I don't mean to undermine a dev here, but I have seen first hand that stats save regardless of when you leave a match.

I don't make a habit of leaving games early, but I have done it( either because of lag or real life). And every time I have quit early my stats from that game have been reflected in my career stats. If I quit early, I will notice my kills, assists, deaths, and cash will all have gone up since before the match I quit.

Even when I get disconnected due to host migration fail, my stats save.

I personally like it where the stats save regardless. Why? Because rage quitting is already a big enough problem especially when the host does it. If you make quitting early a make all the bad stats go away button, then rage quitting will probably become even more prevalent.
  13. nailhead04

nailhead04 New Member

I was kicked from 3 games last night and had a chance to earn some kills and money in each and once host left i had the same amount of cash ($991) that i had before i got into the 3 games so i can attest to them NOT saving. Also i think there should be some penalty. Show the number of games quit prematurly in your career stats or something. Yes some games lag, some games you are stuck with a shitty team but quitters suck and getting stuck in a game with 3v6 sucks...big time.
  14. Bankshot

Bankshot New Member

With the amount of glitching/cheating now going on, it usually takes me 2-3 matches before I actually finish one.
  15. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

Lag is usually my only incentive to actually quit.

Periodically, I get a game where I'm convinced people are cheating really hard and I'll back out. Most of the time, though, I don't mind losing. This game is fun, even when you're losing. When people are obviously cheating, not so much. But more commonly, I encounter lag. Crippling lag is no fun, and when it gets there, I'm backing out. And I'm sorry for anyone I bail on, but that's the point at which the game is not worth playing.

Sportsmanship is enough for me. I realise it's not for the community en masse, but still.
  16. Briq

Briq New Member

The only problem with what you're saying is that it's completely subjective. You could make a thousand different reasons up in your head as to why it's okay to leave the game you're in and to you they're all legitimate. Every person is going to tailor they're own personal "legitimate" reasons for leaving to themselves so what basically results is everyone just leaving when they feel like it. The real reason you're doing it is to shed some blame before you leave, because the loss and reason you're leaving couldn't have had anything to do with you personally, it was some outside influence forcing you to leave. I'm not saying you're a bad person, everyone does it. It's hard to take the moral high road in any situation in online gaming because 99 out of 100 times if the roles were reversed you can bet the people you're playing against wouldn't take the high road either.

It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Most of the games my team started winning last night had an enemy drop within a few minutes of the game starting. The frequency of people dropping increases as the game goes on, so the game just snowballs into a stomping rather than a competitive match. I'd say in any given winning game you'll probably average around 5 people dropping before your team has a chance to win. Sometimes these people will be replaced, but it doesn't really matter when they just drop a new player in the game with little money, no upgraded abilities, and little idea of what's going on in the game. By the time these new players get something going the game will most likely be over. It really undermines the entire way the game is supposed to work.

One suggestion could be to ramp up the amount of money you give someone who joins a match late. You could also automatically upgrade the abilities of the class the new player chooses depending on when they join. This could help to alleviate the snowball effect to keep matches competitive even if one team has players periodically leaving.
  17. Silentblade4289

Silentblade4289 New Member

Well, this is quite the conundrum. Two people getting two completely opposite results. I know for a fact that my stats save regardless of when/how I leave a match. I check my stats after every single match since I have nothing else to due between matches.

So what, is stat saving completely random or what?
  18. TemptedNZ

TemptedNZ New Member

Pretty smug.

So not having your bullets physically do damage and leaving is an attempt to shed some blame?

Having an entire enemy team glitching and refusing to stoop to their level? ahhh you're shedding some blame again ho ho ho.

Rofl.
  19. Briq

Briq New Member

I wasn't saying there's never a legitimate reason to leave a game. Lag happens and when it's unplayable I'd leave just like anyone else. What I am saying is that few people are going to stop at only leaving when it's unplayable due to lag. The glitching I won't even comment on, that rarely happens and people like to play it up like there's rampant cheating everywhere. You sound like the kind of guy that starts talking about cheating and glitching every time he's losing a game.

Most people are going to leave when they aren't having fun because games are supposed to be fun. For just about everyone it's impossible to have fun in bad lag. Some people can have fun regardless of whether they go 30-2 and win or 2-30 and lose. Some people have to have at least a competitive match that's somewhat close to have fun. Some people have to win to have fun. When you leave it up to the players to decide when it's okay to leave without worry of penalty or punishment, problems will ensue. They don't care about anyone else's fun, they care about their fun. There's really nothing Uber can do to solve the issue, but there are things they can do to throw a few bandaids on it.
    Last edited: September 3, 2010
  20. MeltsYurFace

MeltsYurFace New Member

I only leave games when people are glitching etc. I never knew it didn't save your stats though.

I also leave games when I get put into a match in progress where the entire enemy team is in my base, it really isn't worth staying.