Neutrino: How are the PA sales?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Daddie, March 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

That's my brother and 2 friends for you, and I bought them all the game. Assume any time I post that's their opinions too (often they are not even as nice or calm as I am if you can believe it). They all have the same issues I've got with it, I guess I'm just more invested than them. It's probably like that for many forum users here.
    cmdandy and wheeledgoat like this.
  2. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

Like 5 or 6 short single player missions to ease the player into the layers of the game with one or two final missions using every tool you have to clear a moderate solar system.

I could see it as a chance to deliver some lore through the narrative. As a newly reactivated commander you have to recycle a ancient battlefield to rebuild your base and unleash a new war machine. It could also play out in stages of "OK, you've secured this planet, now build an orbital launcher and conquer the moon, now the rest of the solar system".
    cdrkf and bradaz85 like this.
  3. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

Last edited: March 12, 2014
  4. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

I do have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised to see, at this early stage, such a strong community and so many active games in the lobby at all hours!
    kayonsmit101 and cdrkf like this.
  5. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Youtube videos, while nice, are not a replacement for an in-game tutorial. Youtube videos are not nearly as engaging, the user doesn't get to try things out, they can't effectively learn the controls, they can space out and miss details because their learning is not essential to advance through the video as it is for a proper tutorial.
    You can't teach someone how to control things without giving them control. Imagine telling someone they should learn to drive by watching youtube videos. That's basically what you're doing here (minus the whole 'danger to yourself and to the safety of others' thing).

Also, responding with one-liners and image macros isn't clever or funny, it's just obnoxious.
    BulletMagnet and Quitch like this.
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I cannot find the post but I remember a similar question was asked in which neutrino said: this is not a quote.

He wasn't going to share this kind of information with us.

He mentioned however that the game had went to the top of the steam charts at beta and that they had hired new people so was looking good and they had enough resources to finish.

There was also a c&c had just cancelled wtfbbq ending which I liked.

The game also was top at Christmas and gamma so I reckon they are in good shape still.

Again that's all from memory so prob wrong.

Edit. Wtfbbq search ftw.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/game-status.53358/#post-814018
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Accurate. Especially the wtfbbq. Linky
    shotforce13 likes this.
  8. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Nope, spot on. We quoted the same thing, old dogs for the win lol
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I honestly doubt that.

If a mod or dev had asked you to remove your comment, well, they wouldn't have asked. They would have just removed your comment and they would have also removed the people who quoted your comment since that is still publicly available.

For those who missed it, here's his post.

Since Uber is continuing to hire more people and top the steam sales chart over and over again, I seriously doubt they are short in budget for reaching all of their goals. Especially since the most expensive of their goals, the full orchestral score, has already been reached.

If they were short of reaching some of their goals, they wouldn't be continuing to hire people and they would be laying people off.

Edit: To take it a step further, here's Neutrino's post saying they're still on track and doing well: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/game-status.53358/#post-814018

So in other words, your original comment didn't "gather data from where we're not allowed."
    Last edited: March 12, 2014
    thelordofthenoobs, drz1 and EdWood like this.
  10. BulletsFrozen

11. BulletsFrozen

I personally like Youtube videos more than an in-game tutorial. You cant really ask a tutorial a question while youtubers often have reddit and opinion boards up. I do agree though, an in-game tutorial would be quite nice, although I hope its not one of those step by step, press the button we tell you to. I more hope it is one in a sandbox that will let you do what you want but explain how it is done if that makes any sense. For example if you start to build a vehicle factory it would tell you about the resources needed for them, and the explain basic/advanced units. As for the one liners, I am sorry if I do not have the same humor as you but I find most of them hilarious, and I am sure I not the only one who likes them, I mean look at the damn soon image XD, but to each their own, I have removed the image if it bothered you that much :).
  12. Clopse

I sent him a PM recommending him to remove a similar post in another thread as he was sharing information from a locked forum in the general discussion forum.
    carlorizzante and cptconundrum like this.
  13. brianpurkiss

But it was in the general discussion and just locked. Which means that post is still publicly available.

So I don't see the issue.

Edit: Especially since the mods don't seem to have an issue.
  14. Clopse

Think your misunderstanding. It was from a devs post in the backers only forum. I sent him the message soon after he had posted so maybe a mod didnt notice. I didnt have an issue with it at all, it was just a recommendation.
  15. brianpurkiss

Ah. Backers forum. Not general discussion forum.

That's very different.

At any rate.

tldr – Uber is doing great financially and will be able to make all of the streach goals, which is what @carlorizzante was claiming.
    drz1 likes this.
  16. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

threads like this never end well, do they?

what's with all the hate recently? I even caught myself posting some snippy stuff. At least us in North America have the tail-end of the winter to blame it on. I know Chicago winters suck, for sure! Just got another 7" last night. (that's what she said, anyway.)

Let's all remember we're on the same side here and focus on common ground.

PA is pretty cool, eh? :cool:
    shootall, FSN1977 and EdWood like this.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'd say on the evidence at had that PA is doing pretty well:

Factors that suggest they're doing well-
    1: Uber initially went to Kickstarter as no publisher was interested in this 'dead' genre. The Kickstarter campaign I think proved otherwise, to paraphrase Star Citizen (another hugely successful crown funded campaign that no publisher was bothered with) "I am a PC game and news of my death has been greatly exaggerated"... Uber more than doubled their initial funding goal and expanded the scope of the game dramatically.

2: The work they are doing (and no doubt the sales they've been achieving) has actually managed to get a publisher interested enough that there is going to be a fully boxed copy of the game going out to retail on launch- that is a pretty big investment and it's highly unlikely Nordic would have bothered if the initial Kickstarter backers were the only people interested. I'd also speculate that Nordic may well have thrown some money into the pot to help make sure the game is up to par on release.

3: After the announcement of the publisher tie up, the production deadline got scrapped and replaced with 'when it's ready' which is a very good sign that money isn't the issue any more.

4: Uber have massively expanded their team- all those people wouldn't be working if they weren't getting paid so you can bet they have got enough money.

I agree the steam stats can be misleading, however also remember that PA is being sold through Uber's own store and 2 other stores besides steam.

Looking at everything that has happened, and how things are progressing I think it's quite easy to read between the lines and see that Uber are doing very well with this game- to say otherwise is being highly pessimistic.
    carlorizzante, drz1 and wheeledgoat like this.
  18. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Like I've said before we think that talking financials is generally speaking a bad idea because people lack context. What seems like a lot of money to a person is not a lot of money when it comes to making a game.

That being said we are very happy with the performance of the game so far. It's what has allowed us to expand the team and continue to work on the game. We certainly haven't met our performance goals yet but the trend is good. The game has been a *lot* more expensive to build than we anticipated but that's probably mostly of a function of having the cash to spend on it. We have been aggressive about spending any additional money on the game because we see it as a long term franchise.

On that note I would like to point out that our focus as of now is moving to finishing some of the big rock features we are missing and on polish. The game really badly needs a layer of polish before we start trying to expand to the next layer of features. This is in anticipation of the 1.0 launch, retail distribution etc.

Once 1.0 has been launched we have no plans to stop development. We are going to continue pushing new features and adding to the game into the foreseeable future.
  19. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

You heard it here first folks, PA 2 is coming in early 2015! jk

Thanks for the post neutrino! That's good news (but not anything I didn't expect) and I can't wait to see what that polish will do for things like performance.
    nlaush and wheeledgoat like this.
  20. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought you guys were gonna //polish->release->add next layer of features.//

I got faith in you guys. Keep up the awesome work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.