Mods causing infinite planet generation?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, June 7, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hey I've been trying to get a mod working, but since yesterday I've got an infinite loop in planet generation, the odd thing is... The planet is generated completely in the lobby and it lets me start up the game, but then after pressing "start" it says "generating planets" and never finishes. :p
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I haven't played stable recently, but I think @Corang's Better Build Bar is causing that issue in PTE. I still need more testing to be sure.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

oh, all client mods should be disabled for safety sake.
  4. squishypon3

All of my client mods should be disabled, so I'm not sure what's going on. :(
  5. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

You may want to double check you mod settings. Surely a mod is doing that.
    It looks like exactly what I experienced there, except that I wasn't even able to choose my starting position.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's the normal behavior of the live game scene when there are any js errors: Show the generating planets info forever. So there is some broken js somewhere, which is usually a mod.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

dude........ chill and listeeeeeeeeeen :
    you're playing PTE? that's your issue.

also pointed this out in my mods thread.

i also have a list of all mods currently working in PTE and stable here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/mods-server-side-mods-update.57013/
    here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/galactic-war-working-not-working-files-changes-and-so-on.59957/
    and here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-the-realm-community-balance-mod.58942/page-7#post-939584
  8. Fr33Lancer

So, using the Coherent UI Debugger might pinpoint the guilty mod ? (rather than trying to iron out which one by disabling them one by one in PAMM, which is tedious)
  9. thetrophysystem

I can vouch, I have disabled mods, can load a game, and can't load his server mod.

scratch that, I can load his in my host, but I can't load his on his host, and he can't load his host, but he can load unmodded host.

it might be his server mod somehow. It might be some conflict.
  10. cola_colin

looking into the debugger is generally the first step to do any debugging and if I could make a wish I would like everyone to be able to handle it ;)
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  11. squishypon3

Okay, I just wrote a lengthy post and lost it because of mobile...

So ill just get to the point:

All client mods are disabled, problem arrised when Trophy and I were working on a T1 missile launcher, I assumed removing it from the files, the unitlist.json and the build.js would fix it, but it hadnt. Worse case scenario I'll have to redo all my changes, but thankfully that's simplified a lot since most of the time I can just copy over .jsons.

Edit: Also would client mods cause infinite planet generation for other players joining your game? Because I doubt it... :p
  12. thetrophysystem

asking a lot. Now, wish in one hand and deficate into the other. One will always fill faster.

on the other hand, you could take action and make YouTube video guides. I failed making one yesterday, will try again today or tomorrow.
  13. cola_colin

It's not just about having people open it and say "there is something red there", it's about them going and learning how the stuff works so they can actually interpret errors as well. Everyone should be a web developer, that would be much simpler.
  14. Fr33Lancer

Well, might just have found the guilty mod that crash my PA after almost every win, thanks to that :
    Code:
    set music group: victory audio.js:119
    audio.setMusic /Music/Music_Gameover_Win audio.js:78
    Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'innerHTML' of null
    tAutoFactory.update
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  15. thetrophysystem

I am a sharp longterm proponent. However, you would make a terrible customer support person. You start with "can you power on your computer, is it plugged into the wall" for a reason. That alone is complex for some users. That is the harsh reality.

since they exist, they serve a use. They have a problem, it shows something to tweak so users never see the issue if they are unaware.

its sad actually, minecraft Java errors show up on error, this JavaScript needs manually debugged. That isn't massive important, just distant quality of life.
  16. cola_colin

Actually the debugger is pretty good and much easier to use than tools to debug a running java process.