Modability of Galactic War

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by themak, May 25, 2014.

1. themak

themak New Member

To what extent is the plan for the modability of galactic war?

Levels of modability (if you have any other ideas please feel free to share)

- Modify the current variables (number of planets, planet types, bosses, perks, etc.)
    - Add additional custom perks or starting options
    - Design or modify Galactic War map, modify variables and goal
    - Add cut scenes before and after battles whether it be a text, graphic, or movie clip
    - Dynamic map where the AI comes after you and chases you around system
    - Dynamic map where an action or in-action affects the state of the map

It would be nice if we can make our own campaigns with cut scenes and all. If the code is in place then it would be up to us to create the content and what not.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I have only started looking into it, but I think everything you list is possible right now.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I haven't looked into how easy mods will be, but pretty much everything is client side (including I'm pretty sure, drawing the star map)

My big concern is that now we have save games which might not be compatible depending on what mods are enabled.

Also: the GW game setup api looks incredibly powerful and may opens up some of the server modding capabilities for single player, including a provision for completely different armies/factions for each player. Pity Raevn isn't around for a while, to try his Total Annihilation conversion.
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

We can definitely add our own cards, here's a proof of concept. No existing cards were removed, I just copied one, modified it, and added it to the deck.

edit: Loading a galaxy with a modded deck, when the mod isn't installed, doesn't crash the game. But the modded cards and the slots they were in are removed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    proeleert likes this.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/galactic-war-working-not-working-files-changes-and-so-on.59957/
    it's like the first thread on the page man

plus this which is in main discussion : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/mods-can-i-haz.57013/
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

tatsujb, I cant see the relation between your threads and this one.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  7. tatsujb

that's where i wanted to have that debate. sadly it became a thread only about what mods work and don't. I still plan to make things swerve in the right dirrection. Read my OP again.
  8. trialq

No it's fine, this thread thread does this and that thread does that.
  9. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Heh I knew this was not going to take long :)
    I expect some cool things from gw mods.
  10. trialq

Right now I'm working on creating my own deck. Nothing fancy, I just think there's some problems with the stock one.
  11. proeleert

Cool ... I really hope we can use some code from those cards and load them as server side mods in the future.
    Will be cool to apply some of these cards in multiplayer.
  12. trialq

A fun multiplayer game mode might involve cards. If you win you take some cards, lose you lose some. Any cards you use in a game get 'used up' in the process. The cards you can choose from are the discarded ones from gw, or that you've won from others.
    cptconundrum and snierke like this.
  13. proeleert

That would be cool !
    I really loved the different generals from C&C Zero Hour. So some Tank commander / Bot Commander cards would be fun I think. Might be hard to do balancing and stuff. That's maybe why it should be possible to select up 2 5 cards in the lobby for each player. With alternating turns. Like player 1 chooses card 1 then player 2 chooses card 2 / player 1 chooses card 2 then player 2 chooses card 2 -> up to 5. So players can react to cards that are chosen. This would definitely be some mod I would want to play ...
    moldez likes this.
  14. sigmud2

sigmud2 Member

Do you guys think we could make scenarios of a sort (like in Civ 1-5) via modifying and possibly even sharing star maps?
  15. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

I have just been modding it to create insane cards like 10 times speed. A lot of health. Fun stuff like that.
  16. tatsujb

17. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

lokiCML likes this.
  18. tatsujb

ah fair point. I just thought there would be some assets of use.