Metal Planet Death Stars Confirmed

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, February 28, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Cover me Porkins!!

I can't wait for some:
    [​IMG]
  2. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

It not only sounds cool, it is cool! By definition! I defined it! Look, we're just going to run around in ever-tighter little semantic spirals, trying to out-definition one another. The fact is that whatever their intentions for metal planets, I think it may be a bit premature to take the confirmation that they'll be some kind of weapon as the inevitable devolution of PA into a brainless race to the Death Star. Presumably, all the resources someone is pouring into activating such a weapon should give you, the savvy player, an edge in contesting them, should it not? And if you couldn't do anything with that edge, they probably outplayed you; Q.E.D. But now I'm playing the presumption game, when the real point, in my opinion, is that no one has any idea yet how they're going to work mechanically, and thus all the hand-wringing is as yet unwarranted. I prefer to look at it as a potentially awesome addition, and as with everything else in a project under development, time will tell.

I can't possibly like this enough. It's like poking the button at the crosswalk over and over again - I don't even care, I'll just keep clicking it. :D
    Last edited: March 1, 2014
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Planetary Annihilation

They pretty much confirmed today in the stream that planet size will not determine the impact damage. And where are you getting the idea that the target planet would be completely destroyed by the metal planet? We don't know yet what will happen. Maybe the laser would do damage similar to a nuke. Maybe it would leave a crater like planet smashing. It kind of feels like you are making up a problem just to argue against it.

Also, you can still just smash an asteroid into the metal planet to stop it.
  4. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

I can think of a couple ways this could work.

Metal planet powers:
    1. You could build planatary lazers on metal planets which are like bigger interplanatry uber cannons. They would use a lot of energy to fire and would take a while to recharge and in the process of recharging they would also use a ton of energy. The projectile they fire would be something that could be counteracted(Or else if would be op) like an anti nuke launcher.

2. No one said anything about there having to be some sort of death weapon(Unless I missed that). Maybe the advanced technology actauly somehow acts as a couple hallies so it takes less to fling a planet.

Usage of these metal planet powers:
    The basic idea is that the ancient power could be activated by a structure that you make that takes a lot if energy.

This structure you put down only activates the power for a certain area around the structure. This makes it so you do not help out your enemies by activating the planet. Its also a giant planet, a giant planet. No way you could put in so much energy to activate a planet!

The "lore " of the activation structure:
    The idea would be that you are basically using a sort of defibulator to awake the ancient power.

OR

The ancient something or other on the planet requires energy to work. The structure you put down is like a power conduate.
  5. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

if this does get implemented there needs to be an option in the lobby to disable the metal planets ability's.
  6. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

Why? if you don't like the feature you can simply play on a system with no metal planets, the game lets you choose the planets you want to play on.
    iron420 likes this.
  7. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

ok and what if you like playing on metal planets and you don't want the game to have game enders similar to the proposed metal planet super-laser.
  8. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

Metal planets without the super laser would play pretty much the same as a moon. I guess if you really just like how they look there will be mods to turn off functionality, but from a gameplay perspective I don't think it needs to be there by default.

Also we don't know that it will be any more of a game ender than throwing moons into things, if its unfair or too powerful Uber will balance it out, it sounds like a game ender, but so did putting thrusters on asteroids at first and I've survived that plenty of times.
  9. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

L to the O to the mutha' fizzin' L. 'Dis right here! ;)
    Last edited: March 1, 2014
  10. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

All i'm saying is that there should be an option in the base game to turn off the metal planet super-laser with out having to mod it in.
    corteks likes this.
  11. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

• Feature confirmed.
    • Some people cheer, some people groan.
    • Arguing ensues for many pages.
    Seriously people wait until it is in the game then get to bickering, arguing, and complaining about how it is implemented.
    cdrkf, iron420, sporemaster18 and 3 others like this.
  12. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

The whole idea around a Death Star sounds fking awesome.... its a fun game.... and again, Hopefully as the lobby develops more into what it can be, we'll get options to disable certain features and perhaps one of the options would be Death Stars but common now, who wouldn't want a DEATH STAR!!!!! thats just crazy talk.... crazy AWESOME!!

SOOOOO looking forward to this, it will be just fantastic!!
  13. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

I wan't to win the jackpot in the lotto, but that may not happen.......

Still, we can dream.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm really surprised that this is news to people. This feature was confirmed a very long time ago, back when the concept art for metal planets first came out. The whole thing with the features at the poles on metal planets was designed with this in mind.
    iron420 likes this.
  15. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Do you have a source?

The only quotes I was ever able to find hinted at ancient activateable technology and everyone speculated that it would be a Death Star.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I think it should be one use per activation. Whatever activates it is destroyed and must be rebuilt each activation. If 20 adv pp activate it, they are destroyed and 20 more built.
    still epic superweapon, just gives it a reload
  17. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

They seem to me like a re-usable bunch of halleys. Should work out just fine.
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I can probably find you a source but I'm away on a conference this weekend so limited time and only on mobile. Prod me for one on Sunday when I get back!
  19. jt100010117

jt100010117 New Member

20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

God I love your avatar. So appropriate.