Megabot thoughts

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by grogyan, February 11, 2014.

1. grogyan

grogyan New Member

Been thinking the last couple of days about some comments from the devs about trying to create a beach head on a planet covered with enemy units. As well as the Thor from StarCraft 2 which was mentioned on another thread
    I remember when I was kid, like many things I never got, an Omega Supreme.

Wondering with the Megabot, whether there is enough support to kinda design the Megabot to be a transformer, with 3 modes.
    - Battle cruiser
    - Battle station
    - Bad *** robot.

is not really a good video, but it does kinda show off some neat ideas to incorporate into the game. What I noticed was how much in robot mode it looks to the Galactic Colossus from Supreme Commander

Limit Megabot to 1 per player.
    Build as you would a building
    Starts out as a Battle Station, with Turrets, AA, and Stargate, I mean Teleporter
    Transformable into a Battle Crusier, which is the only way to go from planet to planet
    Transformable into a Galactic Colossus type robot, would be awesome to have the same munitions as the Galactic Colossus did, ie microwave laser + gravity weapon.

GC from SupCom
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

This game is about scale ... such an arbitrary rule of limiting unittypes is totaly against the spririt of this game and its spiritual predecessors this is not c&c3 or sins of a solar empire
    Aside from that ... my god that bot you ask for could be aswell a sort of avatar of war from any mobastyle game ... rather modstuff then anything i want to see in this games vanilaversion
    Last edited: February 11, 2014
  3. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Megabots have been discussed at great and tumultuous length.

Personally, I wouldn't mind some building-size bots for certain utility roles - such as umbrellas or arty/bomber-only shields - to have something you can shove through a teleporter that is worth its massive size.
  4. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

c&c3 wasn't as bad as people made it out. If pa had megabots, having a single factory required to build it and the factory being sacrificed on build is a great direction. It just doesn't need to be limited. Someone who manages to make two painstakingly is entirely free to do so.

however, this is the third thread on megabots this week. Wish threads that are THIS duplicate would get merged... Threads are fine as long as forced merge in the rare case 5 are made discussing what the first one discussed. The reason being is I feel people following the main thread or either thread, are missing posts and content in the other.
    igncom1 likes this.
  6. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

Instead of Megabots I'd prefer t3 supcom style units which are half the size of the commander, big, slow but strong. Problem with having megabots is that the game will centre on getting game ending units: nukes, megabots etc. neglecting smaller units which as stated by the devs are intended to be effective in the late game of play.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

In supcom this was a loosing strategy, why would it be any different in PA?

that said I agree with you at least the t3 units.
  8. grogyan

grogyan New Member

I considered posting there, though that discussion is more about experimentals/drop ships

Why I created another, is more about the concept of a transforming structure/unit. Especially when my mind was on the old G1 Transformers.
    I just reckon that something that break onto a fortified planet comes down to three options
    1) Dropship - defenceless egg that annihilates the surrounding area, and deploys?
    When I thought about this more, you will kinda need support units on the ground, so a drop ship that deploys into a small battle station with a Stargate, has the potential to drastically unbalance the game, to the point where all you will be doing is dropping eggs (yes, eggs) onto your opponent from orbit.
    2) Super unit/experimental
    I thought about this, and while it would be playable when you are limited to ONE throughout the game, transporting it from planet to planet would require multiple Astreus units.
    3) Transformer - Like the toys, cartoons and movies.
    From my thinking, a limit of ONE per game is doable, and doesn't produce the problems of the previous options.
    Build as a Battle Station, with teleporter. Would require significant resources not only to build but to maintain operational.
    If you are on the planet as your opponent(s), and they and you, are so fortified that the game is a draw, something needs to break that. So I thought of SupCom.
    Day dreaming more realized that a very slow moving big robot has that "juggernaut" feeling, like the Galactic Colossus. Then realized that the GC looks a lot like Omega Supreme.

Which is why I felt it warranted that this thread be created.

The Super Unit thread can be just that, ideas for units that are very strong, siege machines
    The numerous Drop Ship threads, remind me of these eggs - Mechwarrior
    [​IMG]
    tristanlorius and iron420 like this.