Management mode

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Planktum, November 20, 2014.

1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

@jables

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the mods forum, but I would really prefer if this was something Uber added to the game, rather than just a mod.

I would love it if the game had a management panel that you could switch in and out of.

for example

Capture.JPG
    Last edited: November 20, 2014
    EdWood likes this.
  2. Planktum

This would be nice information to have on the management panel too.

Capture2.JPG
    Last edited: November 20, 2014
    EdWood likes this.
  3. Planktum

a game of this scale needs something like this
    it's too hard to manage otherwise
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hm.. I don't know, I feel it might just get in the way a bit. :<
    elodea likes this.
  5. Planktum

No you would click a button or use a hot key to bring up the management panel.
    It wouldn't be an overlay on the main view of the game. You would switch into this mode and it would be a full screen management interface.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well I suppose, but would you really have the time to do that in a fight? I guess you *could* if the map was truly that large, but I only really see it useful in huge maps with 5v5s or something. But that's just speculation,who knows?
  7. Planktum

I only play team games (no 1v1 for me). and these games can span 5 or more planets. It's really hard to manage everything and having something like this management mode would allow me to do it with ease.
  8. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I don't know if you can see the orders units have, the unit they are currently constructing etc. If you can, and the panel is full screen and opaque, I can see a way to do the management panel from the first post. You'd hackily use the selection model and keep switching between planets, hence the need for a full screen and opaque management panel. As for the second post, you could do this much more cleanly using the alerts system like PA Stats uses. Hook into the alerts to see whenever a unit type is created or destroyed (a location is also part of the alert), and keep track of the totals per planet.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It should be an advanced key. Hey, it should be obscure and possibly not even hotkey'd in default controls. I could see this being difficult to use but necesary in key situations.
  10. Planktum

Difficult to use? Please explain. I doesn't look complicated to use at all if you ask me. I think I'm dreaming though, I doubt this will ever get implemented into the game.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The big issue I see with this: It is missing the key information of "where exactly is that fabber".
    Knowing I have 25 fabbers isn't really helpful. Knowing where I have fabbers is.
    Where should the camera focus if you click the line with 25 fabbers and the fabber are all spread over the planet?

Makes me remember that we are in dire need of a system to select idle fabbers and factories with a visible indication that there is something idle.
  12. Planktum

My idea for this management panel is just a concept. Obviously once they start working on something like this they would work out what works and what doesn't. Just because the focus camera on spread out fabbers might not work, that doesn't mean the concept of a management panel should be chucked out the window. My answer to your question though... it would select all the fabbers and then focus on the commander. You can then give all these fabbers a move command back to the commander and then start from there. Just an idea :)
  13. thetrophysystem

If you have this information on your screen, even briefly, then your don't see anything that comes in and attacks you while you do so.

Therefore, it has the same flaw as chronocam, plain put. Useful, but only for it's function and not for all the time use by everyone all game.
  14. Planktum

Not so useful or needed for 1v1 on single planet systems. But when you are playing 4v4 on 7 planet systems then it would be very helpful. And 4v4 games usually are quite macro in nature, and "If you have this information on your screen, even briefly" it's the same as focusing on another planet; shall we get rid of orbital play while we are at it? :)
  15. thetrophysystem

Orbital play, adds more maps to play. Having units out on the field, adds units to play. Why don't we just have 1 factory, 2 units, lets say dox and boom bots, and 1 eco structure instead of 2? That makes it so much more simpler.

Besides, focusing on another planet can show in the bottom right corner. Focusing on a full spreadsheet, takes the screen. If it didn't interrupt normal focus entirely, it wouldn't be like chronocam usage, which is used but not often mid-game. And the spreadsheet also would be used but not often mid-game. Also mostly by casters lol.
  16. Planktum

I'm not saying it has to be a spreadsheet. That was just my way of conveying what information I would like to see. The actual format of management mode could be done many ways. Take the screenshot below for instance. I have information displayed on the left and right, and I can still see the action on the planet.

And management mode might only display the information related to the planet you are viewing, I don't know, they are just ideas, but you seem to be pretty close minded about the whole idea.
    Screenshot 2014-08-06 22.14.26.png
  17. thetrophysystem

Well, you are wrong. I am not closed minded. I am sure that is obvious to everyone spectating me.

I think it would be important to implement eventually. Like I said in the post, it is needed like cinematic view or chronocam. It just needs an out of the way mount for it, and not to be accidentally accessed all the time because use of it almost necesarily has to be time consuming.
  18. Planktum

I wasn't saying you are closed minded in a general sense, just about this idea. But it sounds like you might be meeting me half way, but that's exactly what I've been saying from the start, not sure how it should be implemented but this information would definitely come in handy.