MacPro or iMac to play PA?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by grandhomie, February 22, 2017.

1. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

Hello,

I need to get a new mac (I write iOS apps so I need a mac) and I'm also going to use it to play PA. I know I should get a PC but that's not doable right now since I'm always on a macOS and having 2 computers would be too expensive / space consuming plus I only play PA.

I don't know much about graphics card and if the ones on iMac or MacPro are well supported for gaming so if anyone knows or play on either an iMac or a MacPro I'd love to hear your experience.

On the MacPro, the graphics card is: Dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each - the processor is: 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz

On the iMac, the graphics card is: AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory - the processor is: 3.7GHz quad-core with 10MB of L3 cache

Thanks a lot!
    Grand Homie
    Last edited: February 22, 2017
  2. flubbateios

flubbateios Active Member

The main thing needed for PA is RAM. Both of these will give you a very playable experience although the Mac Pro will be slightly faster (negligible difference on single planet). Both GPUs should be well supported but I don't know much about macOS or its drivers. 8GB is a good amount with 16gb preferred.
    grandhomie likes this.
  3. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

Thanks, Flubb. Yes, I'm planning on getting 32GB of RAM (the MacPro can get up to 64GB but 32GB should be sufficient).
    I haven't decided yet but after reading a bunch on the subject, it seems like the graphics card of the MacPro is not ideal for gaming (no need for 2 graphics card, apparently) and the one on the iMac is more mainstream.
    I'm leaning towards an iMac with a 4GHz processor, 32GB of RAM and the AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory.

I think it'll be a nice upgrade considering I'm currently using a 3 year old MacBook pro.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Just worth noting, PA doesn't officially support dual gpus... (you can still run it but will need to set the game to run on a single gpu instead).
    grandhomie likes this.
  5. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

Good to know, thanks. iMac is definitely the way to go then. I'm not doing any work that requires 2 GPU/graphics card, I just need a lot of RAM and CPU.
    cdrkf likes this.