Linux: Screen fades to grey-scale after two seconds

Discussion in 'Support!' started by mrkiasu, January 17, 2014.

1. mrkiasu

mrkiasu New Member

For the last few builds, I've been observing a strange problem.

When I start the program, the window appears with everything looking normal, and then after a couple of seconds (before I even log in), it all fades (looks like a deliberate fade effect) to a very low contrast grey-scale colour scheme. If I then try and proceed and play the game, everything is this same grey, and it's predictably terrible to look at.

I've tried switching the visual quality down to low with no change in the behaviour.
  2. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

someone posted something like this before, you have to change something in your system setting to not make windows greyscale when they "aren't responding"
  3. mrkiasu

mrkiasu New Member

Quite so. Thanks!
  4. AyanZo

AyanZo Active Member

it's compiz as it'll dim unresponsive windows. Or whatever WM you have. Not sure why the PA windows isn't reporting some activity rather than being a pass-through, perhaps it's coherent?
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's PA#2709. I'm not checked if this game bug or compiz.
    Are you sure about that? I don't have same problem on Kubuntu 13.10.
  6. zhasha

zhasha New Member

I can confirm that this is indeed still happening, although I can't tell you exactly why. I'm running it under GnomeShell, which itself is based on Mutter. Mutter sends NET_WM_PING messages and if you don't respond within a certain time limit then you get labeled dead. It will not send messages if you don't register a handler for NET_WM_PING messages, so that's one (bad) solution.

Since I'm not allowed to post a link to the code responsible for doing the checking, I'll just say that it's in mutter, in the file src/core/display.c on line 4710 and called meta_display_ping_window.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

As I guess PA use SDL2 for handling window, and I find "NET_WM_PING" in wishlist on this page:
    http://wiki.libsdl.org/Roadmap

Does this mean that isn't implemented within SDL2?
  8. zhasha

zhasha New Member

It appears to be set and answered correctly in SDL2 (see src/video/x11/SDL_x11window.c:545 and SDL_x11events.c:663 respectively)

The only way I can see this not working is if PA is somehow managing to not call SDL_PumpEvents. The UI is completely responsive when this happens and on my machine it happens every single time I start up PA and let it sit for a few seconds on the agreement screen. It has not happened in-game so far.