Le Lighthearted Aesthetics Thread... Le.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, February 7, 2014.

1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

So as an aside to to slightly tense Air Poll and Environmental Poll, I thought it might be nice to talk aesthetics.

I'm a big fan of walls and towers and siege, and love erecting - giggity - and collapsing defences.
    It might look cool if walls connected with each other as in old favourites like Age of Empires - at the moment the walls are a bit bollard-like.

I also love the look of forests and jungles. However, instead of 'Reclaiming' wood (which contains little metal), as in SupCom, it might look cool if the Commander (and maybe Engis?) cleared vegetation by whipping out flamethrowers ^^
    Apocalypse Now style! :cool:
    (Edit 5: That or they could reclaim them for Energy, like in Total Annihilation, burning the tree up as they 'Reclaimed' it.)

Also in the Kickstarter we saw jungles got denser and taller the thicker/deeper they were, which would look awesome!

Edit: Also the ground terrain for grey Mountainous Biomes often looks strange when one zooms out - it looks like a chess-board place-holder when one can't see the swirly bits.

The concept art for Deserts with tiered bases looked awesome - I hope that we see greater height differences later on too.

Edit 2:
    Looked at the old unit concepts, where the Orbital Launcher has a rocket being assembled. A cool-looking launch sequence could have three parts attaching to each other before take-off, with steam escaping as they joined x)

[I did prefer the "Load your Commander onto this multi-stage Rocket" Kickstarter to the "Orbital Individual Dropship" if I'm honest. Looks cooler, and you don't get games ended by Orbital Fighters sat above your base, because the rocket goes straight out of Orbit to its destination xP
    Also makes sending your Comm somewhere a more permanent decision, for better or worse. Plus, once you get somewhere you basically don't need your Orbital Transport anyway. But I'm straying from aesthetics now.]

Edit 3:
    Ooh ooh and lava and cracks and stuff at the bottom of KEW craters. And worlds becoming lava planets... Is that still happening?

Edit 4: Had ideas regarding clouds in the Environmental Thread which really belong here:
    Imagine how cool the fog would look with explosions lighting it up!

At this point I'm basically fantasising and drooling to myself but hey.

Any other aesthetic suggestions you would like to see later on? :)
    Last edited: April 29, 2014
    DuWhen, sporemaster18, timp13 and 6 others like this.
  2. thealnor

thealnor New Member

I would personally like to see active volcanoes that erupt every now and then, Or maybe just more features on lava planets in general...
  3. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Maybe this thread should be in general discussion.
    I would like to see more diversification between the laser turrets. Currently they all look the same. Give them some character and epic names!
    eroticburrito likes this.
  4. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Can we change "le" to "the"? It offends my aesthetic sensibilities. ;)

functional visuals aside, sinking naval wrecks would be neat. And maybe a fancier adv bot factory.
  5. eroticburrito

Le..never. o_O
    boylobster likes this.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

7. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

And aircraft wreckage falling from the skies! That might even get people to reclaim wrecks more?
  8. eroticburrito

Ich bin Englisch!
  9. eroticburrito

At the mo it does seem a lot of wreckage in combat gets blown up. I hope even land combat yields better wreckage later on - a battlefield becoming a resource field will lead to even greater carnage! :D
    websterx01 likes this.
  10. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Clouds, maybe?

This game needs more swirls.
  11. eroticburrito

I can't wait for pretty atmospheric stuff!
  12. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I was just thinking how the three laser towers need different laser size attacks, with accompanying sounds strength.

The Three headed laser tower needs to be either rapid fire or shot from all three barrels at once. I think it would look intimidating and awesome at the same time.

2nd the motion to move this thread to general discussion.
  13. eroticburrito

Is there a way I can transfer the thread?
  14. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Ask one of the community mods or Brad Nicholoson, I'm pretty sure they can move threads.
  15. eroticburrito

Okie dokie well if any mod is reading this then please move the thread :)
    websterx01 likes this.
  16. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Le logic

On topic, this game has* nearly infinite potential to be amazing looking.

*corrected
    Last edited: February 9, 2014
  17. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Has or had? Because I'd much rather a low-poly game where I can manage 1000 robots than a high-poly game where I can manage 10.
  18. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Acid rains, that soften up your tanks 'armor and cripples bots' legs.
  19. eroticburrito

I may create an environmental poll for active things like this to gauge opinion, as these things go beyond aesthetics.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  20. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Football field style floodlights for your base...this was mentioned by a dev somewhere...

Also, maybe an option to play on a planet with a burnt-out sun...so darkness everywhere except your base and unit lights...this would be fun I beleive :)