Just notice about "physics" in simulation performance.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by SXX, March 25, 2014.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Once again I made some performance testing of simulation with Doxes. This time I'm notice interesting behavior that's even with 6000 doxes moving simulation performance can be fairly well like 3FPS, but when some small of group in center start to collide with each other while applying formation simulation start lagging like a hell.

So there was about 270msec goes on "physics". Then I blow up them all and it's looks like wreckage have exactly same problem. I'm started to reclaim them with air fabbers and find out that 90% of "physics" time was spend on small group of wreckage in center. I tested it again and found this:
    FORMATION_PHYSICS.jpg

Other interesting notice: if you build about 3000 doxes in many factories to with shared rally point then at some point "navigation" (I suppose formation) starting to use about 200msec. In same time movement of 2500 doxes use just about 10msec for "navigation".

As I get idea that units that out of factory automatically formatted so each of them trying to get own position before it's even met rally point, but it's looks like this don't work properly with large group of units so this kill simulation.
    Last edited: March 25, 2014
    cola_colin, tollman and cwarner7264 like this.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

good find. Especially for a non dev. Its amazing the things you do.wonder what would go into fixing this, maybe forming to nearest location instead of center?
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you reproduce this you'll notice they trying to format long lines at start. I suppose it's units on rally point have to format small squads of certain size (because units size is different) and then threat each of those squads as one big unit.

I totally sure devs know about that, but I did testing to show what exactly cause lot of lag in simulation to everyone else because it's looks like even 5000 of moving units not kill FPS as much as 500 bots that stuck circling.

Also I'm actually don't understand why "physics" working this way for wreckage, I just suppose that inactive group of wreckage shouldn't use physics engine if nothing touch them. :confused:
  4. tollman

tollman Member

Good find and thanks for posting this. At the moment FPS performance is not bad but the sim not being able to cope is really hurting the type of games I and many others like to play.