Interface "bugs" (and now improvements)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, July 30, 2014.

1. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

- The camera is still spinning crazily near the poles.

- I'm not color blind, but I'm unable to distinguish armies by color. I don't know why exactly, maybe it's not dominant enough inside the icons?

- The previous point is probably because I'm using custom icons. The reason is that default ones are confusing and don't respect military standards (ie. a dome is AA in real world and in any other wargame/RTS game). Check NATO icons on wikipedia.
    Also, they are taking too much space for too few informations.

- Still one the color topic, when sharing armies, make each players a different shade of the same color. Not even knowing where my base/ACU is not good.
    I know the purpose is that there is a single army, but you don't want to step over your teammates order all the time. It's nearly impossible to do currently.

- Switching between planets reset the camera (they should stay at the same place per planet).

- When zooming out in galactic view, zooming in while hovering another planet area should zoom into that planet, not the one you went from.

- The notification area isn't really clear if what is written happened to you or if it's something you did. Also, often looks like the spam box of a yahoo mailbox when there is an attack (if you are attacked while attacking, you probably won't notice it, that defeat the purpose of the function).

- There should be a notification when someone is going to another planet and you can detect it in some way.

- Same for Nukes and all important enemy buildings. The icons are not clear enough to realize it fast enough when scouting.
    Because on that, when playing on several planets, I feel like playing where is Waldo, but I don't know what Waldo looks like. Actually, that's my current feeling so far with the game in general.

- The PIP when hovering a notification is not making clear what area or even the planet where it's happening. The terrains doesn't look diverse enough to recognize what the location is. Maybe make a near-orbital view, only display the icons that are involved in the action?

- The orange pingy-thingy when you do nothing but de-select an unit is still there. Like there is code for military icons, colors have meaning too. Doing nothing should never be orange (it should be nothing). While talking of color standards, color coding notifications should be done too.

- Displaying orders with shift isn't clear at all (too discrete zoomed in/invisible when zoomed out).

- I don't know if moving the destination of a factory is possible with drag & drop, but as it's not visible to begin with, I have to go back to my factories constantly.

- I still want to play mono-planet only mostly because the orbital layer is too confusing visually.

- Why factory loop is not the default? Is there any point in the game where you don't want a factory to produce something? If so, is it really more often?
    That extra click is not a lot, but on a game where any extra micro is tedious, it has to go.
    In general, there are probably a lot of "extra click" like that you can remove.

- Already said many times, but you should be able to assist a factory with another (copying build). Even before they are built.

- Basically all the things that were said a year ago in the UI thread I can't find still apply (most of the points in this thread were there).
    Last edited: July 31, 2014
  2. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

On top of that:

- Remember password button.
    - Being able to disable the music in the lobby only.
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

There's a hotkey that allows you to disable music. It works on the menus. Music re-engages when you start the game.
  4. Quitch

When I come out of a lobby, for any reason, please return me to the game list not the main menu.
  5. elodea

elodea Post Master General

can't drag walls out if the length is less than 5 or something. Minimum size should be 1 wall.
  6. Quitch

The system view seems wonky. Sometimes (often) you'll lose your attachment to the planet you're zooming out from and middle mouse now pans about the system rather than rotating the camera.
  7. elodea

Unit hp bars to show always
  8. Quitch

Seeing the metal count ahead of a game would be great, that way I can avoid ever playing on a 1000 metal spot planet again. I hate money maps.
    schuesseled192 and elodea like this.
  9. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

all the menus to be a ton faster, no reason for them to be so slow!
  10. elodea

Hotkeys like select all idle fabbers most often don't work. I think because of the way network bandwidth has been optimized. So the client doesn't actually know that the fabber is idle because it's off screen and not loaded (even though it is idle).
    Quitch likes this.
  11. Quitch

That, or the language needs to be clarified to say "on screen".
  12. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I think MikeyH made a mod to fix the speed of the lobby, this shouldn't be a requirement but standard in the game.
    Quitch likes this.