Imperial Victus/Imperial Delta difference ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by starstream2, March 21, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

If I'm being dismissive, it's because we're asking about the thought process behind why you guys thought a simple copy&paste was an okay thing to do without mentioning it before hand instead of something more "pro-consumer" and you're responding with lore. Its a little confusing really.

Mike
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

not just similar but ... i am sorry to me its a blatant copy open shoulders and changed arm or not ... and no ill will or offense torwards uber ... but to me it just doesn´t feel right ...
  4. igncom1

Im not sure I mind the use of the same body, as they are both Imperial class.

So to me, it makes sense.

But what could make the victus more acceptable? It has different shoulders and arm guns.

A different texture job? Different legs?
  5. MrTBSC

if you compare those to the other imperials the other still look totaly different in style ... they are just a humanoid type of mech ... that is what they all have resembling toghether ...
    ... this is like comparing (speaking mechwarrior) a atlasbasetype and an atlasvariant with an hunchbackbasetype and/or cataphractbasetype ...

does uber want variants of alphas and thetas aswell?

i would go as far to say one of those two needs an overhaul ... change shoulders legs torso head .. basicly everything
    *flips table* ... ... damn it i am depressed now :/ .... i don´t know ...
    Last edited: March 25, 2014
  6. igncom1

I feel like you might be doomsaying a little too much.

But I do understand the problems people have with the commanders overall.

But you know what?

Variants of the other imperials could be cool......if they are like the delta variant or 'Prime' model of the Victus more mass produced model.
  7. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

I still think this Delta thing is largely overrated.

Someone here looks like the spoiled kid who wants his private little toy, when the entire kindergarten is still craving for at least one swing in the yard to play with.
  8. KNight

To be a variant thought it needs to be actually different. I can make an Alpha "variant" but tilting the "intakes" backwards a bit, that's all that's been done with the Delta/Victus.
  9. MrTBSC

yea and i hate myself for doing that ... but i just cant help and feel unhappy in this case ...

in that case you might aswell just go full "optical" commanderlab ...
  10. igncom1

They do have different arms and shoulders.

SO you feel like more should be done to differentiate the two?

Possibly, but Id prefer it to be fore lore reasons, with set variants to define the different factions, even with little to not effect on the gameplay.

Telling a story without speaking.
  11. KNight

You can't count the arm, it's just a different Uber weapon. The shoulders don't count either because its the exact same geometry, the Victus has the same shoulder flaps just that his are closed, to me that's no enough to call him a variant maybe if they tried to make it look like the delta was a more "refined" design of the Victus(or the other way around) then it's be fine.

It's like going to a car lot and being shown two cars of the same make/model/year but having the salesmen insist they're two different models because one has the windows rolled down.

Mike
    lokiCML likes this.
  12. igncom1

That's fair enough.

I wasn't trying to refute your argument or nothing, just curious.

Humm......so the arms I kinda get....Id imagine commanders themselves can re-equip them at will.

The shoulders.....could we make them so it's like the delta, but obviously more like actual shoulder armour, rather then a non-functional gadget or what ever the delta has.

Like a delta shell was renovated, hollowed out and it's cool toys replaced with standard commander gear?

Could make the shoulders be fitted with additional armour plating and stuff.

But I dunno, I understand you guy's arguments now. :)
  13. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Really, I don't quite understand why people are making a big deal about this. Its obvious that Uber had to make a choice between the lesser of two evils-

1. Make a commander that was prominently featured in advertising and most people had already played unavailable to to most.

or

2. Slightly devalue the exclusive delta commander by releasing a very similar commander.

The only really good 'way out' would have been to develop and feature a non-exclusive commander first, from the get go. It was too late to do that, though, so they had to live with that mistake. One possible alternative would have been to give the delta a completely different model, but they they would have 'lied' to the early KS backers.

Honestly, which would you choose, before you criticize uber? Its not an easy decision from their point of view.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  14. KNight

Or

3. Explain honestly what and why the delta was being made available to everyone and develop a new exclusive commander, possibly with community interaction.

Mike
    MrTBSC and igncom1 like this.
  15. MrTBSC

making different artwork showing off the other nonexclusive commanders such as the spidercomm and centurion f.e.?
    imho they made a mistake in advertising with only one commandertype ...
    didn´t they had other comms in concept before? (not speaking of progenitor, alpha and theta)
    when the box artwork was shown some people raised their concerns about the delta already there ...
    i cant say much about what has been showcased on pax ... but afaik they showed off a plush theta and a yellow deltacomm poster ... did they show any other commanders/concepts there? well they should have ... again just my opinion

and while it actualy is a minor thing ... what happened was that people started expecting to have the delta/invictus in the actual game available also https://forums.uberent.com/threads/i-dont-want-to-say-goodbye-to-my-sweet-delta-commander.56665/

the whole thing around the delta and invictus just leaves a sour taste in my mouth
    because lets not forget there were people that buyed higher editions of the game that included the delta after the kickstarter ended and the prices were different as they are now iirc ...
    the thing is people also buyed the cosmicedition because of the delta ... it simply was part of that package ...
    and the other thing is if people see that they get the invictus anyway ... what is sooo special about the delta in the cosmic edition then? people may just see a slightly changed invictus and that´s it ...
    see what i mean? imo uber did a disservice to the guys that bought the cosmic edition ...
    and i wouldn´t be so sure that they would be that ok with that ...

i leave it at that ... i dont want to make that topic any bigger than it realy is ...
    i personaly am just not happy with the overall outcome ... others may not care
    Last edited: June 22, 2014
  16. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Lore dictates who are faction leaders are. It's a valid thing that we think about.

In case it wasn't clear: we offer all faction leaders to every player. We didn't initially with Invictus (or "old Delta") and fixed that. At the same time, we offered Delta players the Delta represented in our concepts. Do you have any specific questions so I can help you out some more?

I'm sorry you feel this way, my man. In light of feelings like this, we've started planning to offer a new, completely unique commander to backers and purchasers. I don't want to go into details about it because the concept we're talking about is really early. However, it's going to be awesome.
    lokiCML, chronosoul, Quitch and 3 others like this.
  17. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Many steps in the correct direction
    Raevn likes this.
  18. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Is it based off of Eva Unit-01 or 02?;)
  19. MrTBSC

intresting ... well then i will wait for it and see how it turns out ...
    thx for the answer
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Don't.

please please please uber don't.

I'd place my hand in the red-hot frying pan, I'd crush my balls repeatedly in the drawer, I'd torture myself by any means necessary to make sure that :" WHEN THERE'S A KICKSTARTER, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS TAKE AT LEAST THE 90$ TIER FROM THE GETGO" Sticks in my head once and for all.

kidding obviously, please by all means give me a good reason to upgrade to cosmic Limited
    lokiCML likes this.