How to attack asteroid bases?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by goduranus, August 22, 2013.

1. goduranus

goduranus New Member

I take it to mean that there would be no large spaceships flying around, but imagine you have a two player game. Player A had been winning, controlling the planets in the star system. Player B suffered a series of defeats and is reduced to a single base on the sole asteroid remaining in the system.

Now Player B cannot hope to regain victory, yet his asteroid base is defended by every sort of defenses imaginable, that attack units launched by a single-rocket cannot survive, and is mobile enough to stay clear of planet-based unitcannons and missiles.

So, how can player A finish the game?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

If your locked onto a singular asteroid with nothing else Player B can't to squat against Player A, an Asteroid wont likely have enough resources to compete with anything but another singular asteroid.

Mike
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You're making a lot of assumptions there.
  4. mrniceguy916

mrniceguy916 New Member

Throw another asteroid into it? Or am I missing the point of this game?
  5. shenanigans42

shenanigans42 New Member

But we both know the patience of "That Turtler" can exceed that of a rock if he knows hes worked himself into an unreachable crack.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Patience for what exactly? You probably won't be able to do much with a single asteroid's worth of resources, especially given that the opponent will have many times your income, many times.

Not to mention an Asteroids limited are more than just the income they can generate, it's also about the surface area you have to build on, there is only going to be so much defenses you can fit and eventually you'll hit a point where you just can't fit any more.

Mike
  7. nanolathe

Again, people assume that the asteroid can "dodge" a missile, or defend itself from orbital bombardment of other natures, which is a pretty naive thing to assume.
  8. goduranus

goduranus New Member

I was thinking that there probably has to be some kind of space-combat capable units, or else asteroids would be very difficult to attack.

I imagine it would be like in TA or Supcom, and the enemy is holdin this island out of range of all of your artillery and nukes, and you have to attack it without planes or ships, only transport planes.
  9. shenanigans42

shenanigans42 New Member

I understand that, I'm thinking more on the page of griefers and people turtling down on a unreachable (or hard to reach) rock to extend the game because they're angry they lost.
  10. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

It's a pretty wild assumption that the game will be balanced to allow a turtler on a small asteroid be impenetrable to a player with far more eco and map control.
  11. nanolathe

Yea. If Uber intentionally allows such a ludicrous imbalance like that to become reality, I'll eat my hat.
  12. duncane

duncane Active Member

Nukes, long range missiles or arty bombardment.... interplanetary transports.... fire your commander or engineer across in a capsule... etc

Scouting issues also exist. I hope that there is a telescope type unit so you can auto see units/buildings on other planets when they are view of your position. Oh yeah... there needs to be a message every time someone moves to another planet similar to nukes: "Orbital launch detected!"
  13. nanolathe

Just watch for the asteroid that keeps changing trajectory. Once you've found it the UI is going to label it as "Enemy Base", it might even happen automatically; that's something Neutrino was very keen to have implemented at some point.
    Last edited: August 22, 2013
  14. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

The trailer shows engines that consume most of an asteroid's space. That is a good thing. It makes mobile asteroids both expensive and limited in strength. It also gives opponents a strong attack vector, as it provides a gigantic footprint that doesn't shoot.

A lot of issues with turtling are based on how tightly you can pack down firepower. Currently, defenses and walls take up very little space and pack a very big punch. Make the structures less space efficient, and a good concentration of units will be able to punch through.
  15. japporo

japporo Active Member

I think mrniceguy916 has it right. If an opponent is forted up on an asteroid, throw a dozen other asteroids at it. There's no way to dodge them all.
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

One of the reasons we're not responding to a ton of threads lately is this, and other features like it, are consuming most of our time. And us speculating until we get them in and working so we all (devs and community) can fine tune the gameplay, fix exploits, etc can start in earnest, probably doesn't do anyone any favors.

One amusing conversation we had yesterday was, on a large enough asteroid.. one person builds a base.. you sneak on to the other side, build your delta-v engines and then slam your enemy's entire base into a planet. Hilarity ensues.

*edited - fixed end of first paragraph. Didn't finish my thought*
    Last edited: August 22, 2013
  17. Daddie

Daddie Member

Sold!!! Where can I buy the game.. ow wait... :D
  18. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Enough space-travel systems have been hinted at that I think there will be a variety of ways to assault asteroid bases.

After-all, I would be extremely disappointed if there was no Bruce-Willis-Bot who could lead a ragtag team of Oil-driller-bots to land on an asteroid, and blow it up by drilling a nuclear bomb into it's core, before it smacked into a planet.

Extremely disappointed.
  19. flnordin

flnordin New Member

there is gonna be so much trolling in this game (wich is actually genius starategy)
  20. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Replace Bikini Bottom with Your Planet.