General UI Feedback v.61250

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by chronosoul, February 20, 2014.

1. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Hey, This thread can be a UI feedback deposit area if you guys have questions or concerns or want to suggest feedback improvements. I'm just putting this information out there for uber to read as well as start discussion on what you guys like in other games that have good UI's

General UI.jpg

For the General UI options.

(item 1) I really wish:(item 1) was always present in the main UI when on ground level of 1 planet.
    I know there can be issues since it sizes differently with more or less planets. It can maybe be on the left side of the screen. I think its important to have all the possible planets or moons at least visible on the UI to easily switch at the press of a button

Eventually I'm sure better players will just hot key planets with a camera command, but for the novices they could probably use the heads up. I hope it can be disabled or set to only show at solar system view if people want the option

(item 2) I don't like the scheme of all the buildings appearing on 1 line at the bottom. I know we are trying to reduce the amount of clutter on screen. But this is actually worst for trying to find the building you want to build in case you still use it.

I recommend either having it layered onto 2 levels, and potentially group the buildings in a tree system. If anyone has played SC2. I am referring to the SCV build menu where it has basic and advanced.

If that is un-preferable. changing the line to something a little easier to read would be nice.

I actually have to say I don't like the picture previews that are listed in Item 2. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between a T1 or T2 bot factory. There isn't enough difference between the two.

(item 3) The Contextual commands that are always present are somewhat weird. I don't like how they are lined up on the wall with no visual reference to what key activates them. I personally would like it to overtake the bottom part of the ui for attack units and have keyboard letters on top to help people utilize the actions.

I also think that for the turn power on and off as well as hold fire and movement settings. those can be hot keyed as well. With each keyboard press changing the "stance" of the unit.

(item 4) The Notifications are looking a little sharper and seem to form fit the UI.
    I would still like a notification when my unit has reached another planet. A yellow bar that says (planet reached) would be nice to have.

I think this can get spruced up a level and have potential automatic pings (which can be disabled in the UI) regarding what got destroyed or built. I actually played a game where I didn't realize I was nuked until my unit stream seemed smaller.

(item 5)I wish i had more units selected, but I think this problem is similar to item 2. The units don't stand out enough to tell you what is in your composition. I have to focus a little bit to tell if i have a t1 combat fabber or t2 combat fabbers. a t1 fighter or a t2 fighter, so on so forth. a little color differentiation would be cool to have.
    =========================================================
    Radar overlap.jpg
    For this suggestion, not sure if its UI. But I would find it really really really really helpful when placing a radar down, you can see the current range of radar that you have already placed down. So you can overlap if you want to or have the radar as far out to not overlap.

This applies also to turrets of all kinds. When you have a T1 tower selected, all the towers show their attack range. For anti air missile towers. All the anti air missile towers reveal themselves and their attack arcs.
    ==========================================
    If anything else peeves me, I'll add it to the bottom of this line.

========

General positives

• I like the energy and mass part of the UI. I wish it had more flash to it when things were negative and when things are looking up.
    Last edited: February 20, 2014
    Quitch and Pendaelose like this.
  2. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned here. Many of these details are available from mods already, but I think more should be the default. Most especially the economy UI mod with displayed percentages is a huge help I would like to see as a vanilla option.
    chronosoul likes this.
  3. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

One thing about a visual display on what hotkey identifies with which command, I'd rather see a popup that has binding whether it be default or custom made, I'll provide a picture example later