Experimental Units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by turroflux, July 2, 2013.

?

Should PA have any type of Experimental or high tier units?

Poll closed July 22, 2013.
  1. None (I like tiny baby units)

19 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. SupCom type experimentals (large and game changing)

53 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. SupCom 2 type experimentals (Smaller, cheaper, more like T3 units)

21 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Structure Types only (Death rays and other WMDs besides nukes)

12 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. Non-Combat (Resource generator or super factory)

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. turroflux

turroflux Member

Should there be some form of experimental or larger, expensive unit for base cracking in PA.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I'll point you towards this monster thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=44543

Uber's current stance is "not to begin with", after that they are leaving the idea open.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  3. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

FA had experimental structures AND game changing units. Why not both?
    tristanlorius and Pendaelose like this.
  4. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Superunits are only good to break stalemates, and they don't happen that often in this game.
  5. prophess

prophess New Member

Experimental make Sense for gameplay and performance. I think most of you enjoy having a big experimental to crush your enemy. If i would decide to build 100 Units i would build one experimantal. sure you have more tactical options with 100 Units, but i like the fear in the eyes of my opponent when on krogoth comes to his base :D

I wann a Krogoth back
    Pendaelose likes this.
  6. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

On a slightly different note - I love PA's art style. I think experimentals (if ever included) are going to look AWESOME.
    tristanlorius likes this.
  7. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

We're already going to get Super Units. Engines that move Moons aren't "Super" now?

Why does everyone ignore the bigger picture?
  8. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I agree that is "super" but an asteroid with engines isn't a unit, its a WMD.
  9. nanolathe

Define unit.

Is a Crawling Bomb a unit?
    Is an Aircraft Carrier a unit?

An asteroid with engines fulfills both these roles in PA.
  10. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I think they mean a unit has to do something, usually destructive.

An Asteroid with Engines, Engineers and MASSIVE CANNONS is a unit.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  11. ST13

ST13 New Member

*Hint* look at the megabot if you have the unit comparer. Tell me that isn't an exp
  12. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I guess it comes down to exactly how much we can control the asteroids. If the engines can only move it into a collision course its hardly a unit, its a WMD. Sure you can build on it and launch attacks from it, but then its a planet - until it becomes WMD.

I think we can agree that either way, an asteroid is not a stereotypical super unit.
  13. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

I would personally like something more big and fancy.

ITs always nice to have that dream scenario where you get to build that massive units.

Its like in Starcraft 2 when you reach tier 3. Get those ultralisks out :p feels good.
  14. technoxan

technoxan New Member

I think a huge asteroid with engines a area effect cannon and maybe a unit cannon is the ultimate super unit :D . Just a question :?: , if you build a huge land (or other types :p ) experimental and take the planet. What are you gonna do? I'm pretty sure that there are going to be planetary transports, but will they be able to carry an experimental? :)
  15. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Anything that can damage a planet is a form of super unit.

I definitely want to see a Krogoth. It's ideal for an orbital drop assault unit. Make a huge impact, unleash high firepower, and then go nuclear when it dies. Who wouldn't want that?
  16. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

It would (in my humble opinion) be best if they cant carry experimentals (so that experimentals are stuck on the world its constructed on).

That is, if they add experimentals.
  17. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

Somebody that understood how broken the Krogoth was, and why it ruined TA balance. It is the same reason there not doing super units. There is not much strategy in a tech race.
  18. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

I really enjoy the focus being on building a well structure base that you can defend (i.e it covers half the planet and you can respond to attacks). In addition to the focus on building and managing an army that is a good combination of different units. A good mix of both T1 and T2, right now the balance is totally in favor of T2 being the go to once you can and to just stop with T1, but that will be fixed later. Maybe one exp unit like in TA will be fine, but anything beyond that and I feel people will forget the focus is on large battles across multiple planets.
  19. turroflux

turroflux Member

Only true if you make them high hp high dmg units. If you give them a specific purpose and niche, then it won't happen.
  20. nanolathe

Which only The Game That We Must Not speak Of did... and we all know who well that turned out.

People don't want well balanced, niche Experimentals like the bomb-bouncer... they want MonkeyLords and Colossuses.