Early testing: OS/XLauncher

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, March 1, 2014.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey all,

We're not quite ready with Windows or Linux yet, but because it's ready - though still very early stage, we're pleased to announce a testing version of our new multi-platform launcher, on Mac first!

You can download it here:
    http://setup.uberent.com/PA/OSX/UberLauncher.dmg

You still need to login to start patching, but for those who don't like launching through Steam, or don't use Steam, here you go!

Please use this thread to file bugs, provide information, and let us know what you think!

Thanks all!
    wondible likes this.
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

First comment: it's not signed so I get a nasty dialog box. (I already know how to open it anyway.)

What does the 6 by my name mean?
  3. wondible

It wasn't obvious that 'Verify' would download everything. Also, have you considered SHA or something for the verify step to cut down on downloads?
  4. garat

What would you think verify does? (Serious question)

And screenshot? What 6 by your name? :)

And yes, it's not signed yet.. before it's "ready", that's one of the steps.
  5. wondible

I see that it's actually running running PA.app out of Library instead of Applications, so it may be that Verify should have said Download. I tried verify again afterwards and it was nice and quick.

Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 19.56.22 .png

Also: second time I opened it, the news page was mostly black, with a few list bullets that suggested something was there.
  6. garat

Ahh.. on Windows, that 6 is a downward aiming triangle (Click down).. it's a six on yours. Font issue possible. How strange.
  7. faratheking

faratheking New Member

Just downloaded the Launcher, and I've got the same problem font problem as Wondible (6 besides my nametag). Otherwise works just fine!
  8. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Just a question, since I "converted" to a Steam key, I will never be able to use the launcher right?

Still not sure why I can't have both, not like having a Steam key is a lost sale...
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope. If you have your UberNet and Steam account linked you'll able to use launcher.
  10. Bnnoirjean

Bnnoirjean New Member

Any benefits to that launcher that pertain to performance and/or any added features for OSX like fullscreen as oppose to the steam launcher?
    Last edited: March 1, 2014
  11. faratheking

faratheking New Member

As far as I noticed, no modifications is the game (still no fullscreen).
    Bnnoirjean likes this.
  12. Bnnoirjean

Bnnoirjean New Member

That's makes me sad
    I don't know why they don't just implement this already! I mean it's much more immersive to have a game in fullscreen plus when using edge scroll it turns into a nightmare to move around as the dock auto unhide when scrolling down and that OSX bar just doesn't belong to my screen when I try to shove a planet into another commander's world!!
    Please developers you have done it for the other two platforms! I understand Mac platform isn't a priority BUT this is the platform for mild mobile gaming which could very well attract a lot of users. I mean for mobile use I know a lot of people choose apple mac line and don't necessarily bootcamp . So for games that aren't uber graphic intensive they will use their mac! (I am obviosuly aware of the uber graphic pre set option but you get my point )Plus RTS is a great genre for laptop gaming.

Thank you for a great product regardless as I know you are working non stop to develop something that hasn't been seen or even thought of before. I love your game and your company.
    Last edited: March 1, 2014
  13. wondible

From what I can tell it's downloading the exact same PA.app, but it's stored under Library instead of Applications. The main benefit should be not having to download the entire thing for every patch, and access to the testing channel, which might get you fullscreen a few days earlier when it's actually implemented.
    faratheking and Bnnoirjean like this.
  14. wondible

Extra click is a minor annoyance. Could there be a "Signin and Play" button?
  15. garat

What extra click? You can just hit play - If you hit play, it will check files, patch if necessary, and then start the game. Verify is just if you think some file(s) are out of whack.

And the builds are of course identical. We can't handle multiple versions of the game - at least not easily. As for full screen, that will come once we get more SDL usage in the engine.
  16. sirbostontbagparty

sirbostontbagparty Member

I don't know much about developing a game, is SDL hard to use in this engine?
    Last edited: March 2, 2014
  17. wondible

Standalone:
    1. Run PA
    2. Signin
    3. Play/Reconnect/etc.

Launcher:
    1. Run UberLauncher
    2. Signin
    3. Play
    4. Play/Reconnect/etc.

p.s. Incremental update seems to have worked. I clicked Verify, I'll try going straight to Play next time. I was secretly hoping for more savings, but I'll take 70% ;^)
  18. ruske

ruske New Member

I have the "6" beside my name as well, but beyond that the launcher seems to work great. Nice work!

Two questions: will the launcher update itself, too, or need to be pulled down manually when a new version is released? And is there any chance you'll add a "remember my password" checkbox?
  19. wondible

I've seen it checking for self updates.

It's also built with CoherentUI, so something like the autologin hack might work. Or it might get overwritten every time the launcher checked itself.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/autologin-do-it-yourself.56868/
  20. wondible

At the moment I'm getting a "failed to mount dmg" dialog when opening the launcher. You may be in the middle of a build since I can see 62350 for the build #, but it crashes if I try to verify.