Early Access Edition physical disc??

Discussion in 'Support!' started by mapayne, September 6, 2014.

1. mapayne

mapayne New Member

Although I've sent an email to the support email addy I wouldn't mind getting some informational feedback here. I've successfully installed the game and I also spent two days updating my installing win 7 32bit and making sure everything is up to date (been using XP up until now so it was only a matter of time before I was going to upgrade anyway) so perhaps someone could give me an answer to the following:

I've obviously made the necessary account and my game code has been accepted on the store (version on the DVD is 66567). Now to the problem. I've run the PALauncher.exe file and it appears to be doing nothing at all, although there is intermittant HDD access being performed. Is the launcher and silent downloader?? The installation is around 2gb from the DVD. I have run the game menu and logged in by running the main PA.exe file so I know that the initial game loads.

So any help here is highly appreciated as I've been trying all sorts of things to get the game running (including doing nearly 2 hours of searching through google for anything that might help).
  2. earth75

earth75 Member

Very few people here run the game on a 32bit Windows version, i dont know if it is even possible.
    Can you tell us the following :
    -What happens upon insertion of the games disc?
    -What are your system's specs?

Also, posting your DxDiag may be helpful.

Thanks

EDIT : if your game code has been accepted by the store, you will always have the option to download the launcher and download the whole thing with it. I know you may not have the necessary connection and thats a good reason to use a DVD, i just wanted to make sure you knew.
  3. mapayne

mapayne New Member

Well there is a x86 folder which would indicate the game is 32bit capable. Anyway. My current specs are:

E6700 Pentium dual core (3.2ghz)
    4gb base memory but need to find my second 4gb dimm
    Nvidia Geforce GT 5200 (1gb Vram)
    NVidia High def audio driver
    Realtek high def audio driver

Windows 7 home premium 32bit installed.

I've installed the direct x runtime files that were distributed in jun 2010 (as was suggested by a member of this forum). Direct x diag txt file attached.

*Edit**
    After reinserting the dvd the disc just tries to load pasetup.exe again.

Attached Files:

4. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

So is PA installed? Even if its the old version, you said you could open it right? If so I wouldn't bother with the disk anymore, you don't need it. When you open the launcher and log in, is there a "verify" button? What happens if you press it?
  5. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Sorry, that won't work. Your GPU is too old, it has no hardware support for the features required by PA.

Your GPU only supports OpenGL 2.0, but PA requires OpenGL 3.0, OpenGL 3.2 is recommended.

EDIT:
    Never trust a user...
    You have GT 520, not GT 5200...
    So that's not the problem.

PS:
    Try running the Launcher as "Administrator" once. To do so, right click the Launcher executable and select "Run as administrator".
    Last edited: September 6, 2014
  6. mapayne

mapayne New Member

Well according to the Geeks3d GPU viewer that I recently downloaded I'm actually running Opengl 4.4

Oh and sorry about not being clear about the graphics card (need my eyes testing).

Ran the exe as admin and encountered a black screen for a few seconds which disappeared and back to seeming to do nothing again.
  7. earth75

earth75 Member

Note that the game being 32 bit does not mean a 32 bit can properly run it, and videogames are a good example these days, because they tend to require a lot more ram than a 32bit system can handle.

Okay, there are several things that may prevent the game from running correctly :
    - your system is 32bit, so it cannot use more than 3.2GB of RAM, so putting another 4GB stick would be useless
    - a related issue is that PA needs more than 4GB to run correctly, so if you succeed in launching a game, you will have a rather choppy experience. In order to fix this you would have to add your other 4GB stick, but you would need to reinstall Windows (see above)
    - your drivers seem up to date, 7/2/2014 according to DxDiag, but there might be a new version up on Nvidia's site
    - The fact that the disc runs pasetup might indicate that the installation has not carried until completion. Try deleting the PA folder and reinstall the game by browsing into your DVD and run pasetup as an administrator.

After youre done checking your video drivers, i suggest you go into your install directory, open
    ...\Planetary Annihilation\bin_x86\PA.exe
    and check in the task manager if CoherentUI and PA.exe processes are there and how much RAM they take. It should be 100 or 150 MB each.

If you dont see those processes, or if they vanish after some time without giving any visible results, that means your computer fails to run the game at all.

So the next thing would be to install Windows 7 x64 and plug your other 4GB stick in.

The good thing for you is that if you bought a legitimate version of windows 7, you have both x86 and x86_64 versions, so you dont need to buy another copy of windows.
    If you hacked Windows, then you dont have to buy another copy either though. So it's just some time to spend downloading and reinstalling.
  8. mapayne

mapayne New Member

Well the home premium version according to microsofts own website can handle a max of 4gb, and both those processes you mentioned are running and don't disappear.

*Edit*

Thanks for the assistance. I'll try the installation of the 64bit version. I have an authentic licence for win7 and after checking the licence will work for both versions so hopefully happy days :)
    Last edited: September 6, 2014