Different heights in the terrain?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ghost1107, October 12, 2013.

1. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Will the planets be just flat with minor ups and downs and objects that resemble mountains and the like. Or will there also be different terrein heights, cliffs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You already see some of this with some of the CSG brushes used to create maps, adding more is likely to happen at some point.

Mike
  3. yrrep

yrrep Member

I'd love to see an official response to this question though. The lack of variety in terrain is something that keeps troubling me.

What we have right now are mostly flat planets with a few mountains and crevices. While more or less nice to look at, they serve as hardly more than obstacles that are relevant for not much else but path finding. In all honesty, I find the generated terrain rather boring at this point.

Some of the things I'd like to see:
    • Flat and rough terrain that affect movement speed (and maybe accuracy if it's a bumpy ride).
    • Relevant height differences that affect units' weapon systems:
      • Range of artillery would increase if placed on high ground.
      • Limited barrel inclination could affect units' ability to shoot the base/top of cliffs.
    • Slopes that affect units' movement, speed as well as ability:
      • Units are slowed when going uphill and can't traverse ground that's too steep at all. The maximum traversable inclination varies with unit type.
      • Difficult terrain needs to be present for spider bots (if added) to be worthwhile.
    • Terrain might affect radar coverage. If added, radar shadow would increase tactical potential of terrain features and the value of orbital radar (as it wouldn't suffer from radar shadow).

There is not that much terrain variety in the Kickstarter video either, so we could assume anything too sophisticated is out of scope of Uber's vision.

There is a bit more variety in the biome concepts, much of it seems to be eye candy though:
    [​IMG]

Please point me to it if something like this has already been discussed elsewhere.
    Last edited: October 12, 2013
    GoodOak, kalherine and moldez like this.
  4. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Id love to see height variations that are simply not obstacles as well. Height effecting artillery range would be amazing. What I dont want to see are little hills and bumps that serve no other purpose than to infuriate me by blocking shots. Cybran t2 pd, anyone?
  5. ulciscor

ulciscor Active Member

Rarrrgh! +contour
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

There are already Line of Sight checks that are done in PA so this will be avoided.
  7. Daddie

Daddie Member

I was thinking about it last night.. I really like to have features like: link . Elevated platforms with ramps so tanks can drive onto the platforms.

edit: The tech for terrain elevation should be there as the game also has craters.
  8. 2nv2u

2nv2u Member

Nobody else wondering about this? Before playing with the BETA I haven't even considered this not being implemented since it seemed so obvious. As the topic starter says, it's basically playing on a flat surface right now with a very limited set of props making the terrain a bit too repetitive.
    Even is nothing like extended range for weapons / radars would be included it would greatly enhance all tactical game play.
    Are there any changes to be expected in the planet generation before release?
  9. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

This has been hotly debated in the Scale Megathread:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/scale-megathread.48650/

Here is what I want to see...

CANYON HEIGHT.jpg

803039d27609863bb30966f702c1.jpg

The more varied the elevations, the more interesting the gameplay.

The more chokepoints we have, the more tactical and strategic areas of value and asymmetrical advantage we gain from terrain to influence battles.

The more height difference we see, the more the physics based gameplay can shine.
    GoodOak, carcinoma and cmdandy like this.
  10. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

Yeah having actual different levels and cliffs units can take advantage from would be absolutely amazing.
  11. 2nv2u

2nv2u Member

Well perhaps this thread should gain some more attention, discussing this in another thread makes it hard to find and impossible to track it's interest.
  12. Galeton

Galeton New Member

He has definately my vote. Currently the whole "height" option in planet builders limets to the height of specific mountains... And really, they are basically just annoyances then truely of added value to the maps/planets
  13. 2nv2u

2nv2u Member

It should use some perlin noise based height map generation:

[​IMG]

Of topic: Shouldn't this thread be moved to general discussions?
  14. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

It already does use perlin noise for height variations.
    And using perlin noise for terrain never yields good results - all you will ever get are continouus up and down slopes.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The Engine already includes some height variations, currently the outcomes aren't very good, but at the very least the base capability is there already.

Not to mention that just having Height differences isn't enough, you also need to ensure that other game mechanics are capable of taking advantage of that properly.

Mike
  16. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I keep seeing people complain about flat or boring terrain, but I've found some maps that are filled with cracks and obstructions. Also, there are definitely hills. The planets are just so small that the hills end up making the planet look lumpy.

I'm pretty skeptical about the idea of "landmark" terrain features anyway, because I've always seen them in other games to just force one precise style of play. I'm worried that what you're asking for will just limit people's options rather than help in any way.
  17. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

We can simplify what terrain height entails.
    • Choke points
    • Ramps
    • Plateaus (of different heights)
    • Elevation advantages
    • Physics based amazingness
    cmdandy likes this.
  18. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

We have been talking about this for a very long time...I am still shocked that no game since TA had this & supcom lacked it with mostly flat maps with a few like setons that had chokepoints..Anyways we need to bring this up in the livestream tom & get a straight answer about it. But like was mentioned above the KS video shows no hills, ect..so..But then again if you read the unit stuff the all terrain bot makes you think otherwise....
    Last edited: November 27, 2013
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

My concern is how you would see the hills. As has been pointed out they already exist to a degree, but without angling the camera you can't see them.
  20. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Height based terrain colours and/or textures would be good to fix this issue.
    DalekDan, ace63, Quitch and 1 other person like this.