Current work update

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 22, 2014.

?

Are these kind of posts useful? (thinking every two weeks or so to keep updates flowing)

1. yay, you are actually sharing info in a useful way (but I may have still left feedback below)

99.3%
  2. yeah this isn't so useful, and I have posted feedback below (please leave feedback below :) )

0.7%
  1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Hey all,

Wanting to try something new over here. I have been sharing the bigger items we are releasing (most recently symmetrical maps and ranked play), but was thinking you might be interested in a regular (probably every other week) update on the smaller items we are trying to get into the updates. This is the work we normally don't mention, but leads to the larger stuff working. Put up a poll on this one to see what the overall reaction is in terms of "yay we love it" or "waste of time". Feel free to ask questions, or give feedback on this and we will update things based on that for the next time.

[​IMG]

and in more detail...
    • Matchmaking 1v1 Leaderboards in place complete with matching to closest skill level with widening search over time
    • Placement matches take place before first rank to achieve more accurate skill level
    • Pathfinding improvements (ongoing, but here's some things we are focusing on)
      • Concentrating on memory savings
      • Also bug fix for dynamic path rebuilding (that annoying bug where you blow up a factory and pathfinding gets confused)
    • Additional controls for landing zones
    • System editor work
      • Add/Remove CSGs
    • @linike860 is also working on some really cool stuff in terms of unit actions, which I will let him go into more depth on in a future blog post (just noting it so you know cool info is coming, and will be from the guy who knows everything about this instead of the random production guy *that's me*)
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yes, they are awesome Jables. :D
    zakpack48 and Remy561 like this.
  3. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Exactly what we wanted. Maybe more frequently than every fortnight though, perhaps once a week?
    LmalukoBR likes this.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

[​IMG]
    masterofroflness likes this.
  5. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

I... I just love this guy.
    foxzorz, Nicb1, pieman2906 and 4 others like this.
  6. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Loving the communication.

Also looking forward to the toolkit in the System Editor expanding. Having played a lot of Warcraft III many moons ago solely for its Custom-Games, the value of a good Map Editor cannot be understated.
  7. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

This kind of thing is far better than an obscure over the shoulder picture of a monitor. Keep it up!
    corteks, ooshr32 and LavaSnake like this.
  8. jables

jables Uber Employee

I listened :p glad to hear it though.
  9. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

Good stuff.
  10. SolitaryCheese

Good old times... good old memories. :oops:
    I remember spending countless of hours in the map editor, creating custom campaigns with their little own fabulous story-lines. I loved those times. The map editor was so easy to use, yet amazingly powerful with so many tools to mess with. I just loved it.

Too bad, there's like no other game I found so far with such powerful map editor.

I wish PA would have something like that... I would create so many custom campaigns with pretty stories in them.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  11. Debosse

Debosse Member

Really loving the Communication that you guys are sharing. Thank you Jables (and crew):)
  12. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Jables might have a better like ratio than Brad within a couple of weeks. :eek:
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I have ONE negative thing about this:

[​IMG]

This text is missing anti aliasing.

I like both.
    xankar, Col_Jessep, Gorbles and 17 others like this.
  14. wondible

wondible Post Master General

The information is great. I know modders are a minority but knowing what not to work on (because it's going to change) could be useful. (Beyond just generally knowing that cool stuff is coming.)

Why the fancy image? Is that to make it stand out if it shows up in social media perhaps?
    squishypon3 and cptconundrum like this.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

@jables is actually so awesome he did warn me via a pm like a week ago about "don't put too much work into a map editor right now, we are working on similar stuff" :)
  16. SolitaryCheese

First world problems...
    [​IMG]
    Col_Jessep, Gorbles, elodea and 6 others like this.
  17. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Yeah, great news.

Any words on balance changes? Like who is responsible for it now and what are your plans for it?
    nlaush likes this.
  18. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I'll take anything I can get, including obscure over the shoulder screenshots.
  19. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

I do love updates like this, but I think some updates for Upcoming Commanders would be neat to have to ^^
  20. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Oh that's just griping! I was happy with the shoulder shot, it was a teaser, and it was cool to see.