CPU usage

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by lulamae, February 6, 2017.

1. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Curious - When I'm just at the main menu, PA.exe is using upwards of 25% of my CPU processing power. Likewise when I'm in the game lobby for an AI skirmish and the system is loaded.

Just what is PA doing that requires all that processing power during periods you might expect it to be nearly idle?
  2. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Try with mods disabled.
  3. lulamae

With all mods disabled then close/restart, PA.exe is at 12- 13% Still higher than I would expect with a static screen
  4. lulamae

It seems the other half of the the equation is the Coherent UI which tacks on another 12-13%. But this doesn't seem to be consistent. I'll keep my eye's open when I have more time to play multiple long games. Thanks
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I dunno remember right now what part of the main menu it was, but some of the shiny UI elements really suck for cpu performance in it. Try opening the setting, I think they are much easier on the cpu somehow...
  6. lulamae

BTW, this is using the game installed on my PC, not played through Steam.

What I've learned so far - I Started with disabling all the mods, then adding the client mods one by one with exception of those that required the Floating Framework mod for in game UI enhancements. In between I'd play an offline AI skirmish. Afterwards I'd exit to Main Menu and consistently have 13% usage for PA.exe.

I did learn that if I opened, or had open at program start, any of the Community Videos, Twitch TV or Top Players menu items, that added another 14% usage for Coherent UI. So I now always keep those closed.

Then , disabling all mods, I logged on and played an AI skirmish online. When I then returned to the main menu, PA.exe was consuming 25%.

Last night I played in a 10FFA and after returning to the main menu PA.exe was using 25% and Coherent UI was using 14% for a total of 39% CPU usage for PA. This persisted while I waited for several minutes before restarting the game. I did not record what mods were installed by the host for that game .