Commander has a mind of his own!

Discussion in 'Support!' started by n00n, July 7, 2015.

1. n00n

n00n Active Member

A few times now I've had my commander march off for no reason. I've put this down to miss selections/clicks. But I've just had it happen again and now believe it to be a bug.

Example replay: 13484168451701282579
    • 2:45 Commander just stops building. I've no stop hokey and defiantly didn't click the on screen button.
    • 3:09 Commander matches off into the trees. It appears the order was given along with the dox but it wasn't (that would also require deliberate filtering in order to remove the fabber from the selection or and the commander to it).
    • 3:55 He also stops at a point where there is no rally point.
    Ideas anyone?

Another time I had this issue resonantly was during SuperComanderWeek2 but I can't seem to get the replay to load, so can't analyse it.
    andreasgg and mot9001 like this.
  2. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

It sounds like this could be an issue with a broken mod. Have you tried running the game without any mods?
  3. n00n

n00n Active Member

I've only a couple of basic ones installed, no hotbuild or auto anything. It doesn't happen often enough that I can reliably test for it. In any case, I still can't make sense of what's happening in the replay(s). How could a commander (not had the issue with other unit types) move without a rally point? Must be a in-game/server bug and not a mod right?
    Last edited: July 7, 2015
  4. n00n

n00n Active Member

5. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Have you tried running the game with the command --nomods to verify there isn't an old mod hanging around? Sometimes you'll find out one of them is hiding. ;)

In Steam, right-click on the game in the Library and go to Properties. In the General tab there is a button to Set Launch Options. Please type --nomods and select OK.

In the Launcher, sign into your account and in the upper right-hand corner select the dropdown list for your username and select Build Options. Under the "stable" build, please type --nomods in the text field and select Save.

This will run the game without mods and you can check to see if the issue still occurs. If it does, please let us know. :)
  6. n00n

n00n Active Member

All used mods have been freshly installed recently. There's definitely nothing hiding.

Unfortunately the only time the issue occurs is during competitive matches. With or without mods I can't reproduce it on my own. My opponent (@mot9001) in the video said he has also come across this issue before.
  7. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Unfortunately, it's difficult to determine if there was a misclick. It appears as if the commander was selected, given an area-build command, then given the move command meant for the air units because it was still selected.
    It's only happened during ranked games? Do you remember if the commander had any "assist" commands linked to it?
  8. n00n

n00n Active Member

Indeed but he shouldn't have been selected. In the video you can clearly see (and then hear) that the commander is correctly deselected as the selection box is drawn but then re-added to the selection once the selection is made.

No. By competitive matches I mean the important ones like in tournaments or vs top players. In such games that have much higher APMs and the rapid selections boxes plus some other factor seem to trigger the issue.

In the example video, he was idle after having finished a build queue.
  9. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Hmm, that looks like it is taking too long for shift to toggle to off?
  10. n00n

n00n Active Member

If the shift or ctrl keys were involved the commander would not have temporarily shown as deselected. I was also very careful not to have them held. I believe there's probably some kind of server side selection processing where the bug exists.
    dom314 likes this.
  11. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

The shift key may be the issue, but I've been having a difficult time reproducing this effect. If you can list the repro steps for this bug, please let us know.
  12. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

From some really faded memories, I think I have experienced this before. Not this specific case, but I have had the feeling that the selection can be a bit 'sticky' when I was playing at high APM. I found that using shift for construction or creating move order queues followed by very quickly selecting another group of units to do the same thing, it would sometimes mess up.

Possible reproduction steps:
    Step 1: create enough units in the sandbox to make things a bit slower.
    Step 2: Very rapidly select and order units around, with shift key pressed, sometimes not

This is really assuming my hypothesis is right, that this situation arises because the coherent js state lags behind and sends incorrect commands to the server.
    Last edited: August 14, 2015
    mkrater likes this.