Clan Wars - 4v4 clan league

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, August 24, 2014.

1. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Why do you think that ?
  2. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Elodea must fall. Down with the Australian king
    totalannihilation likes this.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think we have a surprise for you.
  4. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

It's merely a question, which came to me after seeing Quitch's message (which I totally understand), and the simple observation there wasn't a KOTP since 2 months when it used to be a regular event (usually one in 2 weeks since April).

But I also understand there's been the release between them, a lot of non exodus event you participated (community tournaments such as late Super Swiss), a new thing on Agenda (Clan Wars) and surely lots of other things I'm not aware of. ;)

Neat ! Can't wait for it ! :p
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Me neither
    reptarking likes this.
  6. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

As far as I know, the metal settings are the same they always were: both sliders set to 100. The only reason we did the "update" is because you told us that a patch or something ruined our settings while you were transferring our system to the Clan Wars folder.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The patch changes previously existing metal distributions.
  8. cptconundrum

We allowed clans to change the metal on their maps because some of them had very carefully constructed maps with metal distributions they really liked. The patch came in and threw everything off so it wouldn't have been fair to force everyone to use home systems that they weren't happy with.
  9. icycalm

Oh I see. No idea you could carefully construct metal distribution. We just cranked up both values to 100 and never looked back.
  10. cptconundrum

It generally requires a lot of luck, patience, and beer. It can be done though.
    squishypon3, proeleert and reptarking like this.
  11. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

Be sure to join us tomorrow, 11th October 1800 UTC, for The Cult vs. Voices of War. Commentary will be provided by ZaphodX and WPMarshall, with interviews by Captain Conundrum.

nextmatch_banner-785x275.png
    Last edited: October 10, 2014
    cptconundrum and reptarking like this.
  12. icycalm

We played a few games with Team Burning yesterday and they were very nice and helpful people. They wiped us out in the first couple of games under 10 minutes, but the last game went on for over half an hour, so we hope to be able to provide that level of entertainment today.
    Last edited: October 11, 2014
  13. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

we hope this too :D
    proeleert and icycalm like this.
  14. exodusesports

We're live! Check it out on eXodus eSports
  15. exodusesports

Thanks to everyone who attended this, our third fixture in Clan Wars. Thanks also to everyone from The Cult and Voices of War who played and to @sorian for rehosting us on his Twitch channel.

We unfortunately had a few people who were rather negative in chat. While we welcome an open discussion and critique of the play occurring, we would ask that people maintain a certain level of decorum in their commentary. Clan Wars is open to any clan that wishes to play, however they want to play. We will be stricter in moderating the chat at our next fixture.

Finally, two announcements:
    1. Clan Wars has helped to drive the growth of certain clans and here, at the end of our first round of fixtures, we will be allowing each clan to draft two additional players to their roster.
    2. I think we've seen that home systems have undergone varying levels of testing, and some clans have encountered performance issues they didn't expect. Therefore we will be allowing a one-time only system redesign.
    I'm sure everyone can understand that this is an experimental format and we feel these changes will allow for an even better league.

We are also examining running more matches per stream since they're generally proving to be shorter than expected. This should also help minimise the time you have to wait while we set up lobbies.

Finally, we had some enquiries about our "please wait" video, so we'll look at putting it on YouTube along with the appropriate music links.
  16. knub23

knub23 Active Member

Thanks for the games, the organisation was really good. Keep on experimenting, these changes are really great! I also think we could have more than one match per day, especially when BRN is playing 12 UTC, you could have another one at 18UTC if it isn't too much for you ;)
    reptarking, cptconundrum and stuart98 like this.
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Oh crap now PAG's going to get yaegz.
  18. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

yaegz has been gone for a while.

He just graduated an ivy league college so i don't blame him ;)
  19. icycalm

A heads up to the other clans. We've increased the size of our home planet to 1300 (from 850 or 950 previously, can't remember exactly how much it was). We chose the smaller size to start with because of sim performance issues back when Clan Wars was announced, but now that the sim has been vastly improved, we think that 1300-size planets are playable, and as the season moves along, and sim performance is further improved, and Exodus perhaps also moves the league to a custom server (we'll happily volunteer ours for free, btw, even for fixtures that don't involve us -- colin says it's faster than Uber's, and we won't have to share it with 7 other lobbies), it'll only get more and more playable.

Strategy-wise reptarking/Gandalf has pointed out to us that a smaller planet would work better for us with our current strategy, but we like huge battlefields and huge armies so much that we went ahead and increased our planet's size regardless. We'll just have to do our best to adapt, and we're already trying out modifications to our strategy and alternative strategies. We are all very much looking forward to facing Promethean on November 22nd.
    Last edited: October 20, 2014
  20. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Last kotp was run on a custom server. So we plan on using the same one for clan wars with some tweaks...