Can you see why he is saying this?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Trisdino, June 29, 2014.

1. Trisdino

Trisdino New Member

This concerns tb's latest tweet. I think he summed it up pretty well.

I am going to assume that most people will defend the game, and jump hate on him for saying that, but just think of how messed up this is, ignoring the douchebag move of giving those customers and exclusive commander, just think about how crazy selling boxed early access copies is.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That is far from the only thing I can see TB taking issue with when it comes to PA.

Thought we might want to hold off trying to figure out TB's thought process on this for now, seems like this might be the kind of thing he tackles in a video where he'll be able to give a lot more context and explanation.

Mike
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  3. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I refuse to take people seriously who's first reaction is to go full knee-jerk insane on something.
    Early access exclusive ...... *RAGE ENSUES* *smart people leave the rage*

It's a vicious cycle.
    I hope so. His thought process right now seems to be RAGEEE.

I hope Uber is talking to him. I really do. This is just ridiculous.

EDIT: If they ain't, can I have an audience? I'll set this guy with 'influence' straight.

When I say influence, I mean an ego that inflates his own importance
  5. overwatch141

overwatch141 Active Member

I can understand where TB is coming from and I kinda agree with him. Why would you make a boxed early access edition anyway? It doesn't have the server files so you need an internet connection anyway. Why not just download it? It's also not the final version so you'll need to update it.
  6. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Because not everyone buys everything on internet
    Pendaelose, lokiCML and Quitch like this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Because they needed to, they had a deal with Nordic games and needed said the game would be finished by then, it wasn't, and so to not devalue the deal, they released an early access addition. Chances are TB doesn't have the context.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  8. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I'm not an early backer, let alone a KS supporter. I came here during the recent Steam sale. Please keep that in mind in case I inadvertently step on somebody's toes.

I kinda get why they'd sell Early Access boxed versions: Marketing. For this game to be successful, word has to get out. The Kickstarter crowd has been pretty vocal, the hardcore RTS fans know about the title ... but that's it. And no matter how loud the feedback may seem, those aren't a lot of people. Getting the game to show in brick & mortar stores can be wonderful advertising. It reinforces those potential customers who might see it on online retailers ("Huh, so this game actually is a thing, or my local Gamestop wouldn't sell it!") and it reaches those people who don't use Steam or other services regularly.

As for the early access being sold and not just the finished product: Why not? We're already seeing preorders being sold physcially as well as DLC packs. For better or for worse, the market is evolving. Uber has a chance here to both grab sales and do a lot of marketing work, which is doubly important because RTS games can be difficult to sell, and there's a whole lot of competition in general.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this is bad.... this is very VERY bad. we need the support of someone like TB BADLY. he can sway thousands.
    first of you seem not to know who tb is but "first reaction"?

He's the only one to have video-interviewed Jon Mavor so extensively on the subject of PA, his interview remains to date quasi the most informative piece of media we have about PA:

he also originally made some good comments about it although his attitude towards pa degraded over time :

Last edited: June 29, 2014
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  10. KNight

Just because something has been done previously doesn't mean it's the good/right thing to do.

One could say that Kickstarter was supposed to be a tool for developers to do things Publishers wouldn't.

Mike
    lokiCML and bradaz85 like this.
  11. Trisdino

Trisdino New Member

Well, I am against scoring things that aint done, but at this point, when the game is both released on box, no longer in beta, and offering ingame payments, I would say screw it, and start giving it a metacritic rating. If that means people do not do this, great, it is not right, and if they keep doing it, alright, but their rating will be influenced by an earlier version of the game.

Anyway, this, combined with the commander, are some of the most... well, wrong, things that I have seen such an otherwise fairly decent company do for quite a while now, and other places are also picking up on this. So yeah, great PR guys, hope it is worth it.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I have no idea what the big song and dance is about. Why do people care so much about little **** like this. First world problems.....
    zhaii, Jaedrik, Fr33Lancer and 13 others like this.
  13. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I can very much see why he's saying this.

Preorder is one thing, selling something in stores before completion is something else, something almost insane, even.

A retail copy should be reserved for after release.
    PeggleFrank and Nicb1 like this.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Isn't the box edition command just a limited time offer any who?

Not like it matters, it's an asphetic not a gameplay component.
  15. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Well **** TB for being yet again biased as ******* ****.
    *unsub*

Edit: I used the wrong word (non native english speaker I make mistakes). What I meant to say is that he voices an opinion without explaining that opinion. I thought bias was the word for it, but I was wrong :/.
  16. KNight

Biased in regards to what? His own Opinion? Isn't everyone guilty of that technically?

Mike
  17. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

?!? In what way is that biased?
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  18. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Seriously though, I don't get his issue with this.
    It's being sold early access on steam. It's quite obviously stated on this box this IS early access.
    What is the bloody difference?
    thelordofthenoobs and Quitch like this.
  19. KNight

I'm assuming his issue has more to do with the idea of exclusives and all that deal than JUST the fact that it's early access retail stuff, thought that is going to be part of it. TB has it right IMO when it comes to thing like exclusives and pre-order stuff that the Industry gets up to.

Mike
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I wonder what his reasoning is. Can't think of many issues a reasonable person would go "**** this" about PA.
    PeggleFrank likes this.