Camera Control.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thepilot, September 10, 2014.

1. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Hi,

They suck with pole lock on.

The reason Uber give is "it's impossible because of gimbal lock".

I call bullshit on that.

Here is a perfectly working camera that lock at pole without jittering crazily.

bradaz85 likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I don't get crazy camera due to pole lock?
    meir22344 likes this.
  3. thepilot

Good for you, I do.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  4. squishypon3

What exactly happens? Just so I can see what you mean, like- do you mean when you look at the polls?
  5. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Just taking a shot in the dark. Is your mouse speed really fast? Poll lock doesn't jitter for me.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  6. thepilot

It's jumping, actually like a gimbal lock problem. Except that I don't see why there is one.
  7. squishypon3

Can you upload a quick video so I can compare?
  8. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

It's always been a bit jumpy for me too, always a problem/headache building near the poles and it gets annoying. I have default mouse speed.
    Last edited: September 10, 2014
  9. xSkitz

xSkitz Member

I don't have a video for it, but having a spawn on a pole leads to a headache trying to set up your base initially.
  10. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Use camera saves to reorient to important viewpoints (new colonies, your base, enemy base). Don't use pole lock. Once you get this skill down it makes the game 100x easier and more intuitive.
  11. thepilot

Or Uber could fix the camera.
  12. mrchris2000

mrchris2000 Member

I used to play with Pole Lock on, but around the poles it is unworkable - not that I experience jitter, more that I want to scroll 'down', but that's over the pole so I have to twist then scroll 'up'.

I learned that it is far easier to not use pole lock and have an finger over the 'n' key to re-orient the camera north every now and then.
  13. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I also don't know what you mean by jitter. I turned pole lock on and all seems normal to me. A video would be helpful.
  14. squishypon3

I don't know, what your video showed is pretty much what I get with PA, mind explaining the difference? I know you're saying jittering, but when, what does it look like.

Again, a video would be nice.
  15. dreamquest

dreamquest Member

If it seems I'm hijacking the thread, my apologies, but this discussion relates directly to something that has been bugging me since release day.

Pole lock doesn't do jack for me. Never has. My planets rotate the same way whether the option is on or off. And possibly related, 'N' (keyboard shortcut to reorient planet with North on top) worked the very first time I played the game, but never again in any subsequent game session.

Anyone have a clue why or how to fix this?

Edit: Hmmm.. with today's patch, my 'N' key functionality seems to have been fixed. :)
    Last edited: September 11, 2014