Boom and Flame tanks

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by perecil, March 25, 2014.

1. perecil

perecil Active Member

There is a problem with thoses two units. They're meant to be short ranged, however, like shown by the community, the Boom is hardly usable (I didn't bother to use them since their first "test") and the flame tanks usually dies before reaching the enemy.

Thoses are the causes i've identified that maybe those units almost unusable:

- Planets have to many "details" that leads to too many choke points (and I even don't talk about wreckages that blocks movements). The time the unit finds it way through dead wrecks and choke points, the unit goes boom (yay more wrecks).
    - Even if the flame tank is sturdier than the base tank, it seems to be not enough.
    - When using formation the assault units still keeps formations with "long range" units, even when selecting a target.

A sturdier flame tank also means that if backed up by repairs bots, it can stay longer on the battlefield. However, I don't think we can micro repair bots and flame tanks (try to do this in strategic view).

Here are suggestions that may fix those units:

- Planets may be upscaled a little; i don't speak about adding more "radius" in the editor, but about global scaling factor (ie each detail on the planet will be also upscaled). This will widen the choke points, and leave more place for units to roam around. This will not add to the generation cost as the scale factor will be uniform for each planetary feature. This will maybe lead to floating point arithmetics errors, and more laggy game (as you will have more room for units on a planet).

- Add a new feature to both units: some kind of cloaking device (either radar/or visible, maybe both?) which will reveal the unit only at a short range of the enemy. Doing so, you'll need to decrease the global HP of both units to balance their gameplay. If only invisible to radar, they will add value to the scouts units which covers a large area in visibility.

- Change their formation behavior when selecting an enemy as a target, they should go fast toward the enemy and break their formation (like in supreme commander). Their speed should also be upgraded, and their HP downgraded. An upgraded speed will also mean that those units will excel against slow artillery and provide a natural counter to these units. They will be still vulnerable to artillery / bombers if they do not move.

What do you think about it?
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

4. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

The flame tanks are great for breaking through defenses, I don't see why they should be more powerful as already now a group of flame tanks spearheading an attack makes laser turrets almost useless.
  5. perecil

perecil Active Member

Ho? To my experience, flame tanks were always killed before being in range of an enemy. Do you have a video showcasing flame tanks breaking defenses? I'm maybe using them wrong...
  6. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Thats wrong.
    Actually they are fodder to turrets because of their speed.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

when you say flametanks.. are you speaking of infernos or vanguards? vanguards eat units like there is no tomorow
  8. perecil

perecil Active Member

I mean the Infernos (T1 flamers).
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

when flametanks i see people mostly use vanguards ... they might be slow but compared to the inferno and most other units they take a brutal pounding
    Last edited: March 25, 2014
  10. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't see much point in the Inferno. T1 tanks can do their job as part of a mixed force and I continue to make them after T2 but Infernos usually can't and I just don't make them at all. Vanguards do a great job and are particularly adept at pushing laser turrets and destroying walls.

There may be some room for an Inferno rush to overwhelm weaker T1 areas but you might as well wait til T2, which is not that far off, and send in some real heavy hitters backed up by your backlog of T1 tanks and T1 mobile AA.

Booms I think are just not finished and basically don't work. They probably require at least some limited cloaking ability to ever be useful. Or else a boatload more hit points.
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Raevn likes this.
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

spicyquesidilla likes this.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Nah, just rich enough to buy in.
    Raevn likes this.