Better Performance Mod

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Sleeser, February 8, 2015.

1. Sleeser

Sleeser Active Member

And what do i mean by "better performance mod"? well it is kinda simple a mod that checks the current unit count overall and some over stuff the slows the game down (as sh*t) and changes the game's quality in order to make it a bit faster.
    im no expert on why the game slows down for everyone when there's allot of units in the game, maybe there's no solution but maybe this will work idunno XD
  2. trialq

trialq Post Master General

The game slows down for everyone when there's a lot of units because there is a lot for the server to do. The server updates with a fixed time step of 10 ticks per second. When ticks take longer than 0.1 second on average, the sim speed slows down relative to real speed. Arguably you can make a "better performance mod", by restricting the players to build less units (or whatever), but really the only thing that can be done is wait for performance updates. The sim performance seems to be constantly worked on, I gather the current PTE has sim performance improvements relative to the stable build.

The more I think of it, some kind of maintenance mechanic might be cool as a game mode. Say every unit built incurs a 0.1 metal maintenance cost, a constant drain on the economy. Players would then be limited on unit count based on their eco, and would be encouraged to upgrade to tier 2 and recycle units. Obviously such a game mode would change the game completely, but it could make 100+ player games viable beyond pure comm-boxing.
  3. Sleeser

Sleeser Active Member

Yea... i thought someone would say something like that (im a programmer too so i know how lots of objects slow down the program) but still the game quality must have something to do with the performance, but i guess not in this situation *sigh
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

If PA was written more in the style of Sup Com, with actual scripts for units rather than behaviour defined by blueprint parameters only, then we might be able to crawl through the scripts and eke out a bit more performance. Alas, there's not we can do on our end, other than to increase graphical FPS (but that won't help with sim speed).

But then again, if it was script-based, performance would be a lot worse to begin with :p
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well based on the tests on Friday, the server performance is set to get a big boost when it goes live :) it handled an 18 v 18 (!) Start to finish with virtually no lag at all. @sorian has been doing brilliant work on it :)
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

There is a post on this with casts in general discussion... Can't link as on phone :p