BETA: game startup takes forever... "Game will start when the server..."

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by enlightdm, November 20, 2013.

1. enlightdm

enlightdm New Member

Game will start when the server has finished generating the solar system

Takes *a lot* of time. I was in the ingame menu configuring keys, and I couldn't go back to the game, because the screen was black. Only the UI was visible.
    I had to quit the game, and recreate... and back again to waiting like... 5 minutes or so.
    Mmmm... games start time is really important.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Provide some details on the planets/systems you're trying to play on. The bigger the planets, and the more you have, the longer game startup will take. My typical 10 person map, 1 ~800 meter planet, one ~600 meter moon, and two ~200 meter "asteroids" typically loads up in about 30 seconds.

This will help all of us figure out where the slowdown is occuring for you. Also important to know, since you're playing off a remote server currently, if you're on a connection slower than 2mbps, that may slow down your ready speed, as these solar systems are being built on the fly - that's quite a bit of data to push. :)
  3. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

When you join a room, there's a little light in the upper right corner: red, yellow, green. Wait until it's green to click ready.

If you start a game and get black screen (mainly happens if you clicked ready without a green light), just wait. Same thing if you quit out/crash and rejoin a game only to see a black screen. Black screen is usually like "Loading, Please Wait". It can take a while, especially with big planets, but it should recover.

Also, lobbies will usually seem really laggy until you get the green light. (Dear Uber: you are doing something naughty on the UI thread or starving the UI thread for resources while loading up in the lobby.) Once you get the green light, lag should go away.