Assisting orbital units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, June 6, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no they don't thay have like unlimited range when assisting orbital engies. Combat fabbers don't even have to move they can do it from wherever.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

give fabbers a rangecicle when the orbital object to assist is in that cycle then it can be assisted ...
  3. tatsujb

it'll still be a broken part of PA.

not to mention it's just plain illogical. why do we even need a rocket when we can just fab stuff up straight into space?
  4. MrTBSC

define broken
    i don´t consider it overpowered it could be as well be ballanced through costs or efficiency

and about rockets?
    the thing is we don´t ... we can fabricate stuff in space with a orbital factory and orbital fabricator already ... so weither you fabricate an austreus in a orbital launcher or orbital factory makes actualy no difference it´s just a case of what unit can you build from were ... the rocket at this stake is merely for looks than anything else
    also fabbing from ground to space and launching stuff into space are 2 entirely different things
    if the austreus would be bound to be always launched by a rocket from any planet then orbital launchers would still retain a role as launching plattform for those transports .. it doesn´t have to do anything with fabricating
  5. tatsujb

actually yea, it does kinda matter to me.

Heck, we don't get to visualize metal and energy being broadcasted through a solar system but it sure as heck somehow is. And yet do we assist with engineers cross-planet? No. that's where we draw the line.

I'm asking for consistency here.
  6. MrTBSC

fabbers being able to assist stuff on the same planet AND orbit ... is actualy a consistend thing to me ...
  7. tatsujb

...but you have to rocket it up first.... at which point they can go to any planet ....no it isn't.
  8. MrTBSC

orbital fabbers can go to any orbit but have limited buildoptions for ground
    groundfabbers cant go to any other planet without a transport
    so what is your point?
    rocketlaunches are inconsistend? agreed .. explained with orbital launcher boundary for austreuses
    fabrication assistence is inconsistend? disagreed .. explained with rocketlaunching and fabricating being 2 different things entirely ..
  9. zomgie

zomgie Member

If a fabrication bot can assist fabricators in orbit, then why can't the bots just build things in orbit directly? Why waste energy making an orbital launcher and sending rockets into space when you can already build things there? This just doesn't make sense.

To do this, the nanolathes of units must already have hundreds of miles of range. With these capabilities, why not just construct an army right in the middle of your enemy's base? Sure the game isn't aiming for realism, but this is where you have to draw the line. Although I have to admit, reclaiming your opponents satellites with air fabs is kinda funny.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Armor values are applied to the weapon, and designate a specific target. Only 2 cases of armor exist in vanilla. Ubercannon does 1/3 damage to structures, and air does 0 damage to structures. None of those affect orbital units. I believe air also does 0 damage to commanders, but that is an extension of the same rule somehow.
  11. Pinworm

Pinworm Active Member

I'd be okay with Air Fabbers being able to assist them, but a little mini robot pointing his arm and building a god damn space station is a little weird
  12. tatsujb

Air fabbers DO assist them and honestly they look even MORE ridiculous.

I never equated rocket-launching to fabricating, sure enough the two are different yet you yourself define the rule by which one can fabricate in space through rocket launching.

Hence no. NOT explained.

Look is it ok to you or not that for some reason the rule to what you can or can't assist makes no sense if you lay it out on a spreadsheet and try to look at it logically?

You can assist any thing on ground within planet A ....fair enough
    You can also assist anything in orbit of that same planet A ...fair enough
    You say the rule to delimit orbital fabbing is rocketing up ...fair enough
    Once rocketed up unit movement is no longer constrained to one planet 'till end of game ...fair enough
    so why can't an engie that can assist orbital fabber in basicaly any condition not assist him when he's on another planet?

I've made a table of current Planet A, Planet B rules and highlighted what I find inconsistent take a look, the one that's the most crazily out of place is the surface layer engie assist rule WTF :
    upload_2014-6-11_12-32-34.png
    i'll have you note I wrote here that orbital engies can also build on surface layer, when you and I both know that it can't. Not at the same title that surface layer fabbers can, it doesn't have the full land building roster, only the gate. this is another inconsistency in this table.

Surely you can see that my proposed changes would make it all come together and make a whole lot more general sense :
    upload_2014-6-11_12-32-44.png
    so orbital fabber can't build gates?

first of all, many here on this forum advocate capsule-dropped gates for fabbers and so do I. that's one.

second yeah, why the heck not? does anyone use the Astraeus anymore?

also do not forget that the unit cannon is inbound and would provide yet another way to land defended engies for you to build a gate with.

all of this would be a heck of a ton more consistent not to mention gameplay-enriching.
    Last edited: June 11, 2014
    knub23 likes this.
  13. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I may be misunderstanding, but a building built in space, then falling through the air layer, is still a structure? That's where the Armor values could cause issues since it would be weird that air did 0 damage top it.
  14. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Yes, it's still a structure. I'm not aware that it would be possible to change armor type on the fly.

Even though I'm not convinced with droping portals. As far as it goes for me, I would actually prefer to leave the "receiving gates" in orbit and only drop the actual units down onto the planet. Basically a portal-fed orbital unit canon, one way ticket. Deploying a regular portal is a task for ground fabbers and that one might actually get "a bit" more expensive.

Droping structures onto the planets surface is tricky, since structures can't be pushed around if the collision box is violated.
  15. MrTBSC

so you are saying a fabber that is on planet A shall be able to assist a structure that is in orbit of planet B?
    what i said about rockets is simply that surface fabbers cannot assist orbital fabbers that are not in the orbit of the same planet so in order to assist those.... surface fabbers require those transports (or teleporters) in order to assist orbitalfabbers and structures on another planet ... seems pretty logical ...
    i don´t have much a problem with that kind of assisting because lets be frank this game just isn´t authentic
    considering the size of ships compared to tanks or the way how low aircraft flies above ground etc.

why shouldn´t they? they were made for that very reason in the first place to build a gate on surface from orbit
    your proposals may make sense but would they make the game any better or fun? ... not realy imo

personaly i absolutely do not care for such a structure because we have already one that´s needed to be build on the surface itself, and frankly i rather have it stay that way for that bit more challange ... i don´t see a reason of why we need that kind of teleporter at all ...

so just because x doesn´t get used lets throw in y so z may also become redundant? sry what?
    what happened to having variety in the game?

i don´t realy care about the unit cannon either, i don´t want to rely on structures all the time so i rather have mobile transportation if possible, so yes i care about mobile transportation options ...
    Last edited: June 12, 2014
  16. tatsujb

this is still à-propos.
  17. mostuniqueusername

mostuniqueusername Member

Well, there's something to be said for the orbital fabber costing 9000 metal. It's massive (much more MASS) compared to the ground fabbers. Perhaps this is because of its big *** nanolathe so it has a long reach. There could be a large, stationary ground based fabber that can build things in the orbital layer I suppose. But that would basically just be the orbital launcher retooled to remove the rocket animation and make it much more expensive to reflect the larger mass.
    meir22344 likes this.
  18. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

I just barely played a game where I colonized an entire planet using adv air fabs to build everything ofcourse and my orbital fleet I made were no exception lawls. I made Orbital factories to make the avengers ofcourse but I made just 2 Orbital factories making lazer satelites and putting 40+ adv air fabbers on each lol. They make dem lazers super fast and I didn't have to make very many orbital fabbers to pull it off. My style is a bit game breaking since I dont' need to build mass orbital fabbers first haha

Having done that I perfer realism and it makes no sense for air or ground fabbers assisting orbital units or factories. I can settle with building the orbital fabbers a bit sooner and making it work for me but hey if they don't fix adv air fabs assising orbital factories I'll continue to abuse it lol. I spend my entire eco through the air fabbers building lazers LAWLs ';..;'
  19. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

The game rules should be consistent. Fabbers having limited horizontal range and unlimited vertical is not.